Thursday, May 1, 2008

Second-hand Treasure: Books!

"Pride & Prejudice"


While at a local Mission Rescue, I saw this classic Jane Austen book and purchased it. There's a fine line between the motives of whether I bought it for novelty (hehe!) OR because of the cover and large print (which is hard to find for Jane's books) so I'll let you decide :)


"My Heart Belongs to Him"

I'm so excited to start this study with my Mom! Its written specifically for Mothers and Daughters. Its a study on growing closer to Jesus and giving Him your heart FIRST. At the book sale, I found these books at 2 completely separate tables and for a great price of $4 each!






"Keepers at Home" Book Set




At the GHEA booksale, I found this complete Keepers at Home set (Directors Notebook w/ schedule & activities already planned, Badge handbook, and original book) for only $5!


It really blessed me because 2 days before, I was just asking my Mom's advice on whether I should start a club for the younger girls at church--I was a little overwhelmed with having to come up with the scheduling etc. but up to the challenge. Now that I have the directors notebook, Its really all done for me; I guess I just study and prepare to go through it. I'm really pleased.




"In the Shelter of the Little Brown Cottage"


I *love* vintage books (in any condition!) and at the GHEA used booksale, I saw this lonely little book amongst the newer, 21st century books & had to buy it! Copyright 1920, it has a library card showing it being checked out from '29-31.




"A Victorian Posy"




Our newest Goodwill contains a cozy "bookshop" and cafe, and while browsing through the Gift Books, I came across this small gem for only $1.99!


This is a cute little book that contains gorgeous 19th Century artwork and poetry.




A "sneak peek" selection:



"The Rhodora"

'In May, when sea-wonds pierced our solitudes,
I found the fresh Rhodora in the woods,

Spreading its leafless blooms in a damp nook,

To please the desert and the sluggish brook.

The purple petals, fallen in the pool,

Maid the black water with their beauty gay,

Here might the red dash bird come his plums to cool,

And court the flower that cheapens his array.

Rhodora! if the sages ask thee why

This charm is wasted on the earth and sky,

Tell them, Dear, that if eyes were made for seeing,

Then Beauty is its own excuse for being :

Why thou wert there, O rival of the rose!
I never thought to ask, I never knew;
But, in my simple ignorance, suppose
The self-same Power that me there brought you.


-Ralph Waldo Emerson 1803-1882








3 comments:

Hildegard said...

That edition of Pride and Prejudice is the very same one I used in one of my college literature classes. Mine is VERY marked up, with marginalia (notes in the margin) and all colors of highlighters. Oh, the memories it brings back!

Thank you for visiting my blog. It's a pleasure to meet you!

A Young Lady In Waiting said...

I simply love old vintage books as well! Thanks for sharing your finds! I think its awesome that your planning on teaching younger girls at your church. I'm glad that the Lord lead you to the keepers at home set for such a great price!
Many blessings

Sydney

Anna said...

I just came across your blog, and I had to say that I love old books too! What wonderful editions. :)