Monday, June 16, 2008

Family Heirloom

While visiting family, My aunt gave us a sewing machine that belonged to my late Great Grandmother! We were able to (somewhat) fix the belt, and it works, but we can't figure out where the thread/needle/bobbin goes :)




Anyway, today I was doing some research, and found out this is one of Singer's earlier models--I found the serial number, and it was manufactured 1916-1918!
My Great-Grandmother was born in 1918, so maybe it belonged to her mother or a family member?

Pieces of History:
Inside the drawers are small little everyday treasures now worn with age..Old needles, reused thread and a few odds and ends!


In her hand she holds the distaff and grasps the spindle with her fingers.
Proverbs 31:19

6 comments:

jwcreath@gmail.com said...

Mia,
This is wonderful!! Good for you.
Jana has one similar to your, not sure what year it is.
Anyway, she has actually figured out how to use hers and sewn on it!!! Maybe you can talk to her and she can give you a few pointers?
Have fun.
Mrs. Creath

Beth said...

What a cool family heirloom! Just imagine, your great great grandmother's hands touched where your hands touch. How cool is that! Can't wait to see what you will make on it once you figure it out!

V said...

This is so incredible! You know it is good when it still works after all of this time! Boy, they don't make things like they use to.

So happy for you all to have that precious item in your home now. I know you all will figure it out. :)

Growing In Grace Magazine said...

What a tremendous blessing to have that machine! It's beautiful! And thank you for supporting Growing in Grace Magazine. I enjoy reading your blog.
Sisterlisa

MissNonaEleanor said...

What a lovely mashine! My friend Elisabeth has one almost exactly like it that she sews almost everything on.

If you are still looking for an instruction booklet or parts, there are some companies that sell them still. It's a Singer, so you'll probaby be able to find them and for a reasonable price. All you need is the year it was manufactered, and number on your machine (not sure where that is located. Mine is on the body on the right hand side).

~Nona

mumblingmonkey said...

I hope you don't mind me commenting on such an old post. I have an old Singer treadle too - as I recall, it's from 1923. On Singer's website, you can look up the model number of your machine if you have the serial number. Then you can download a manual, I think also from their website. It's very helpful, especially for learning how to fill and replace the bobbin.