Saturday, July 12, 2008

Harvesting & Drying Stevia

<----I pruned the Stevia plant to about half its height, taking about 14" off the top. Its best to prune right before they go to seed--I could already see the buds :)


























^^While I was harvesting, I caught tiny green lizard sun-bathing on one of the leaves! :D






^^I got a good bundle of the Stevia (I took

the picture myself--sorry about the tight grip! lol) ^^





^^Rinsing the leaves!^^




^After washing, I dried the leaves on papertowels, then
spread them out on 2 cookie sheets^





^I put the Stevia in a 175 degree oven for 20 mins :)
You could definetely smell the aroma in the air...very, um, wood-sy?



^^lol! Like my homemade mortal & pestle? :)
Our gorgeous marble one broke a few months ago,
so I'm learning to make do! :D ^^




^The leaves were super crispy, so it only took about
5 minutes before it was powder^





^After being crushed and sifted...


Then I finished it off by putting it into a tiny tupperware container
for later use...I think I got 2 TBsp MAX.

*By the way, It tastes great! It had a somewhat "green" aftertaste though.
Its SUPER sweet (1 TBsp equivalent to 1 cup sugar!)
I added about 1/2 tsp-1 tsp of Stevia to our pot 'o afternoon tea :)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm interested in trying to grow this. Do you think you will use it in anything else besides tea? Thanks for sharing the process. :o)

Brenda

Emily said...

That is so cool! I had no idea that you could even grow stevia. :)

I love your blog, and I will back offten. Thanks for the comment on my blog. :)

Christina said...

I have purchased stevia before and the aftertaste was too strong for me. Do you think the homemade/dried stevia has a more pleasant flavor? Have you tried the other kinds?

Laura @ Laura Williams' Musings said...

I am stopping by to invite you to participate in the The Carnival of Home Preserving.

It is a Carnival to Share Recipes and How-To's for Canning, Freezing, Dehydrating (drying), and Root Cellaring of Fruits, Vegetables, and Herbs.



Submit your blog post (new or one of your archived ones that meets the above description) to the next edition of carnival of home preserving using the carnival submission form.

http://blogcarnival.com/bc/submit_4663.html

The Deadline to Submit is every Sunday 6pm EST

The Carnival posted by that Monday on the respective Host's blog.

Everyone is welcome to join in (beginners and experienced alike).

Laura

Rachel K. said...

I am thinking of growing some stevia. Have you tried baking with it? If you have does it make the food taste different? Thanks for your help!