Monday, July 14, 2008

Second-Hand Treasure: Antique Hand Mirror



While browsing through a local antique store, I came across this beautiful hand mirror. The store clerk told me that it belonged to a woman in her late 90's who had it as a girl. It may have belonged to her mother but I'm not sure of the age...



What I like about it is that its quite heavy, and the mirror itself is thick. It has some marks/dents on the side from age, but I believe that adds to the character!


In this last picture, you can see the detailed picture of a woman writing a letter by candlelight. I'm curious about the age/era of this mirror--does anyone have any suggestions? :)
I'm so glad I purchased this! Although the price was a little over $30, I felt it was one of a kind and a lovely treasure to own!~

6 comments:

An Old Fashioned Girl said...

That is BEAUTIFUL!! The engraving on the back is so elegant.

Maria Pauline said...

I like it! And your blog too, by the way. I may just have to "borrow" some of your beautiful pictures, they are so hard to find! Thanks for dropping by Beautiful Grace. :D

laney said...

That is such a beautiful mirror! I love how it has a real antique look! The back of it is really pretty too! Thanks for sharing!
Love and Prayers,
Laney

Anonymous said...

Very, very pretty. It would look lovely as part of a functional setup on a dressing table.

Brenda

Madison said...

Oh, that is so pretty! It definitely looks antique.

Madison from Madison's Musings

Rose said...

This is my first visit to your lovely blog. You do a great job. Blessings!