Monday, August 25, 2008

A Daughters Blessing


A lovely quote from "Little Women" by Louisa May Alcott
~
"I want my daughters to be beautiful, accomplished, and good; to be admired, loved, and respected; to have a happy youth, to be well and wisely married, and to lead useful, pleasant lives, with as little care and sorrow to try them as God sees fit to send. To be loved and chosen by a good man is the best and sweetest thing which can happen to a woman; and I sincerely hope my girls may know this beautiful experience...
My dear girls, I am ambitious for you, but not to have you make a dash in the world--marry rich men merely because they are rich, or have splendid houses, which are not homes because love is wanting. Money is a needful and precious thing--and, when well used, a noble thing--but I never want you to think it is the first or only prize to strive for. I'd rather see you poor men's wives, if you were happy, beloved, contented, than queens on thrones, without self-respect and peace."

7 comments:

Madison said...

How true! What a wonderful quote. Thanks for sharing! :-D

~Madison

Laney said...

That's a great quote! It really is so true! Thanks!

Prayers,
Laney

Anonymous said...

I've always thought this was one of the most beautiful passages in "Little Women", & coincidentally, I was just thinking about it the other day...thinking I should look it up, read it to my daughters, hoping they would like it as much as I do. Thank you for posting it!

Brenda

McKenzie said...

Hi Mia,

That is beautiful! I am going to read "Little Woman" for school this year! I am very excited about that!

Much Love,

McKenzie
Elizabeth

Grl4God said...

I love that book and the movie. Beautiful.

Grl4God

Miss Jocelyn said...

I really love that book. I'm just sad that Alcott was such a feminist! :(

Anonymous said...

What an amazing quote - not only for you women but for us men too, it helps us remember that money is not the be all and end all of everything in our lives. Many people today think only of money and I beleive they for-go relationships, futures and happyness in its persuit, or the fear that if they let themselves into a relationship that someone else may get their money.


I love being happy with simple things!

Miss Jocelyn, I never knew Alcott was a feminist, however this may not have been a bad thing in her day, I beleive that feminism has taken a wrong term in the 20th century and it is a shadow of what its really about, to me its the fair and equal treatment of women.

Not what it has morphed into today, a kind of "We want it all" feeling, even men realiase that you cannot have it all. I think its sad as many women miss out on the wonders of being a mother, and home maker. Here in England a wealthy lawyer recently took her own life, she had everything high powered jon, money, children husband house. However I think she had forgotten what it was she wanted to do, and was just furfilling the mold that was expected of a 21st century woman.

I hope she has found peace with the Lord.