1. Start by carving the pumpkin in half...
2. Then, remove the stringy insides and seeds...
3. This is what it looks like after being cleaned out..
4. On two greased cookie sheets/baking pans, I placed the pumpkin halves in a preheated 375 degree oven for 45 mins uncovered. Then I covered each pan with foil and let bake an additional 45 minutes.
5. Remove the pumpkin from the oven, and let it cool...I think I gave it about 30-40 minutes. (oh, there will be liquid in the baking pan, I didn't need it so I just poured it out)
Start scooping out the pumpkin!
6. The pumpkin is a very watery vegetable, so as I mashed it up, I drained out the liquid.
7. After draining as much I could, I used a blender to puree the pumpkin. I used tupperware to store the extra (pureed pumpkin) I wouldn't need for today.
My Pastry Dough recipe
Combine: 3 cups flour, 2 TBsp sugar, 1/2 tsp salt, 1 cup softened butter, 1/4 cup shortening, 1 egg yolk, 7 TBsp milk, 1 tsp vinegar. Use a pastry blender until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. 8. Very important: Divide the dough into two, Wrap up the dough in plastic, and freeze for 30 minutes
Roll out the dough...
Then put into 2 pie pans...and pop into the freezer/fridge until it's time to fill 'em up!
Now...back to the Pumpkin!
9. In a large bowl, add 30 oz (or 3.5 cups) of pumpkin...
1 cup (packed) brown sugar, 1 cup granulated sugar
1 tsp ground Cloves, 1 TBsp Cinnamon, 1 tsp ground Ginger, 1/2 tsp Nutmeg & 1 tsp Salt. Combine ingredients!
10. Add 4 beaten eggs, 1 cup evaporated milk, and 1 cup heavy cream (If you heat the milks to a scalding point in a saucepan before adding to mixture, this will cut baking time in half! I learned this the hard way! lol)
Pour pie filling into pie crusts...
11. Bake in preheated 350 degree oven for 1 hour, then I reduced heat to 250 degrees and baked for an additional hour. 12. The Pumpkin Spice Cake should come out golden and firm in the middle (although, its ok if its a little underdone..it'll firm up as it cools.)
Perfect! Garnish with a healthy dollop of Cool Whip, sprinkle a pinch of Cinnamon on top, and Enjoy!! We loved how flavorful it turned out, and enjoyed eating our slice of pie while watching the BBC series, "Cranford" (Which we highly recommend!) :)