Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Homemade Pumpkin Spice Pie

We had bought a 10 lb pumpkin last week, and instead of carving it, I thought it might be fun to make some pumpkin pie! It was an all-day process though, so I'm glad I started in the morning!


1. Start by carving the pumpkin in half...

2. Then, remove the stringy insides and seeds...


3. This is what it looks like after being cleaned out..




4. On two greased cookie sheets/baking pans, I placed the pumpkin halves in a preheated 375 degree oven for 45 mins uncovered. Then I covered each pan with foil and let bake an additional 45 minutes.

5. Remove the pumpkin from the oven, and let it cool...I think I gave it about 30-40 minutes. (oh, there will be liquid in the baking pan, I didn't need it so I just poured it out)



Start scooping out the pumpkin!

Almost done...

6. The pumpkin is a very watery vegetable, so as I mashed it up, I drained out the liquid.

7. After draining as much I could, I used a blender to puree the pumpkin. I used tupperware to store the extra (pureed pumpkin) I wouldn't need for today.

My Pastry Dough recipe


Combine: 3 cups flour, 2 TBsp sugar, 1/2 tsp salt, 1 cup softened butter, 1/4 cup shortening, 1 egg yolk, 7 TBsp milk, 1 tsp vinegar. Use a pastry blender until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. 8. Very important: Divide the dough into two, Wrap up the dough in plastic, and freeze for 30 minutes

Roll out the dough...

Then put into 2 pie pans...and pop into the freezer/fridge until it's time to fill 'em up!





Now...back to the Pumpkin!





9. In a large bowl, add 30 oz (or 3.5 cups) of pumpkin...


1 cup (packed) brown sugar, 1 cup granulated sugar


1 tsp ground Cloves, 1 TBsp Cinnamon, 1 tsp ground Ginger, 1/2 tsp Nutmeg & 1 tsp Salt. Combine ingredients!




10. Add 4 beaten eggs, 1 cup evaporated milk, and 1 cup heavy cream (If you heat the milks to a scalding point in a saucepan before adding to mixture, this will cut baking time in half! I learned this the hard way! lol)



Pour pie filling into pie crusts...


11. Bake in preheated 350 degree oven for 1 hour, then I reduced heat to 250 degrees and baked for an additional hour. 12. The Pumpkin Spice Cake should come out golden and firm in the middle (although, its ok if its a little underdone..it'll firm up as it cools.)

Perfect! Garnish with a healthy dollop of Cool Whip, sprinkle a pinch of Cinnamon on top, and Enjoy!! We loved how flavorful it turned out, and enjoyed eating our slice of pie while watching the BBC series, "Cranford" (Which we highly recommend!) :)

13 comments:

Madison said...

Oh my goodness Mia! That looks simply delightful! :-D
Now you have me wanting to do it. :)

~Madison

A Young Lady In Waiting said...

MMMMMMMMMM! Pumpkin pie is my favorite!! Those pictures are making me want to go pumpkin pickin' and start baking my own pie! Simply tantalizing!

Julia said...

Mmmm! That looks so yummy!!

You've been tagged! See my blog for details! :)
Julia

Vicki said...

Hey Mia,
This so wonderful..I want to make some but....it seems like a lot of work. I probably will try it though.. I am so proud of you... :)

Joelle said...

WOW! That looks soooooo good! You are very talented at cooking/baking! Now that I think of it, everything you make looks good!

Sarah said...

Mia, nice to "meet" you! You have such cool stuff on your blog! That pumkin pie looks AMAZING! It reminds me of fall and Thanksgiving!

Jasmine said...

Oh, I *love* pumpkin pie!

And Cranford! :)

Alyssa Scott said...

Wow that looks so delicious!!!! Mmmmmm....

The Meiners said...

Hi! I found your blog via Jasmine's blog....wow! You are so talented~may the Lord bless all of your endeavors!

P.S.~How do you get your crust into the pie dish without ripping it to pieces?

~Shannon

princessesindisguise said...

Yum! That looks really good - I'll have to try it sometime! I came here from www.femininityinafeministworld.blogspot.com, Serenity's blog.
~Princess S

Mrs. Bridget G. said...

Oh it looks so good! A little hard to make (i'm not a good cook) but delicious!

Penny in TN said...

Yummy...I think we will try this recipe for our Thanksgiving Dinner...my girls weill love to get their hands on a pumkin...I have visted your page several times and just love your pics. My daughters are bi-racial and there are very few African American victorian type pics, I've saved serval of them from your site for them. Thanks for all your uplifting posts and great recipes!
Blessings
Penny in TN

Hannah Rachel said...

Hello Mia,
I have been a visitor on your blog for about two months, and I just LOVE it! I love your recipe posts, and your second hand treasure posts. I too hunt for thrift store treasures. I saw your post for Homemade Pumpkin Spice Pie, and it looked so delicious I just had to try it! I made it on Friday, and yes, it was an all day affair...it took seven hours:). But it was completly worth all the time and effort! My First Pumpkin Pie!! I served it to my family and grandparents, and they thought it was the best pumpkin pie that they had tasted. My "Gramps" had two pieces,and then a piece of store bought pie to do a taste comparison, your recipe won! It is funny but last night we each had a piece while we watched All Creatures Great and Small,(the bbc telivision series that ran from the late '70's to the early '90's based very closely on the James Herriot books....one other thing that endeared me to your blog was the fact that you like the James Herriot books too....They were what first endeared me to the english country side.)
The one change that I made in the recipe that you posted was that I used three smallish sugar pie pumpkins instead of the one 10 lb. one that you used....Because my mom had made a pumpkin pie when I was younger, and she used a carving pumpkin, and she really didn't care for the way it turned out, so she bought some 'sugar pie pumpkins' for me. It came out to be close to 4 cups of pumpkin. I didn't have any pumpkin left over, but I didn't have to strain it, and there was no liquid in the pan. I cannot tell you how delicious the pie was (yes, we have eaten both of them already). I will definitely make it again soon because mom wants me to work on my crust making skills. We are going out to get more pumpkins today:0! I absolutely love your blog!! Please keep up the good work!! Thank you for sharing your well spring of hope and light with us urban Christian homeschooled girls through the internet!
This is a dark world, and you are a bright light, just as in Matthew 5:16 you bring God glory!
I am passing this recipe and blog onto our evangelist friend, let's see if you can guess who he is: he loves to dress up in historical costume, and share providential American history with homeschoolers,you might even have one of his videos, or cd's, and you can find him dressed up as Davy Crockett evangelizing at the Alamo. He loves 'punkin' pie, and I gave him a slice of this recipe today on his visit. He loved it! Maybe he'll leave a message on your blog.
In His Care,
Your Sister in Christ,
Hannah B. (age 15)
www.conservatorycoffeeandtea.com
If you go onto our company's site, please leave a comment.