Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Harvest Turkey Salad (yum!)

For a picnic lunch (to bring to the canning demonstration get-together), my Mom asked me to prepare a quick and easy dish. I thought turkey salad sandwiches would be perfect, so I put together a recipe that's super simple, low on sodium, and still flavorful!

1. Chop about 3 stalks of celery (3/4 cup) into chunky slices...

2. Then peel and dice two "Washington" apples (Makes a little under 2 cups)

Set aside with the celery!


3. Now for the fun part--Take 1 (fully cooked) turkey leg, and chop into chunky pieces. Make sure to leave out the thin bones and skin!


This is what it should look like after chopping (and tasting?lol) I measured 2 cups of meat.


4. In a medium sized bowl, mix together all 3 ingredients!!

5. Add 1/2 cup of Mayo and mix into the salad...

6. Now for the spices! In a tiny dish, combine 1/2 tsp onion powder, 1/2 tsp rubbed sage, 1/4 tsp thyme, and 1/4 tsp white (or black) pepper.

Add the spices into the mixture...

And you're done!! It makes about 3 cups of Turkey salad, so you may want to double it if you have a large family. (Or *cough* if your family eats 2 sandwiches each, like we do! *cough* lol)

The sandwiches were delicious, and WITHOUT any salt! I've been trying to use herb-alternatives, and I think it worked out well! I'll probably make this again with the left-over turkey from Thanksgiving Day!

8 comments:

Madison said...

Yum Mia! Sounds delicious! :-D I might try that with some leftover turkey after Thanksgiving. :)

~Madison

P.S. Thanks for commenting on my blog!

Julia said...

Oooh, Yum!

You've been tagged, Mia! :) See my blog for details. :)
Julia

Joelle said...

Mmmmm, that looks sooooo good! Your so good!...it's amazing to see what you whip up! And that is what I call talent.

Laney said...

YUMMY! That looks really good! I awarded you! Come get your award! :)

Julia said...

...And you've also been awarded! See my blog for details!

Blessings!
Julia

Rachel and Jessica said...

Hey Mia! yum! It looks sooo good! I will definitely be trying this with some of our leftover turkey after Thanksgiving! You took really great pictures, too! Thanks!

Rachel

p.s. - I put you on our blogroll!

http://younghomemakers.blogspot.com

Renee said...

Mia, we made this yesterdayIt was a HUGE Hit, Jeff ate 2 sandwich lol.

Mrs.Garcia said...

Mia,Can I leave out the Raw Apples!
My Beloved Husband is allergic to Raw Apples!
Also can I substitute Miracle Whip for Mayo!
God Bless,
Mrs.CGarcia(CAGmomof2)