Saturday, November 29, 2008

Pumpkin Apple Bread~


Last Friday, our family had a wonderful evening in front of the fireplace, stoking the fire and listening to old-fashioned records on my record player. (We did all this by candlelight! very fun!) Then my dad suggested my sister and I make a dessert--and what sounds better than 'pumpkin apple bread'? I found a recipe and simplified it for "mini loaves" or muffins. Here's the recipe:


In a large mixing bowl, combine 3 cups flour (I mixed whole wheat/white flour), 2 tsp cinnamon, 2 tsp baking soda & 1.5 tsp salt {To remove lumps, whisk the dry ingredients!)
In a seperate bowl, add 3 cups sugar...
{Don't decrease amount, it doesn't come out too sweet}
15 oz pumpkin puree...

4 large eggs...

And 1/2 cup vegetable oil.

Mix up all the ingredients!

Add 1/2 cup apple juice or cider (yum!)

Now, you pour the pumpkin mixture into the dry ingredients



As you combine the wet and d
ry ingredients, don't whip or stir too fast.
This develops gluten and makes it too dense/stiff/or something! ;)


Chop 1 large apple, and add to batter

Now we're ready to bake!

Fill the muffin cups 3/4 full...

And bake in a pre-heated 350 degree oven for 20 minutes

And they're ready! I made 3 batches, so there were about 38 muffins. They aren't sweet like cookies, but taste like a good hearty, (flavorful!) sweet bread. This recipe makes 2 loaves as well, so following the same directions, just pour batter into 2 greased loaf pans and bake for 60-70 minutes.

7 comments:

Madison said...

Oh yummy Mia! How delightful! :-D The look delicious!

~Maddie

Renee said...

Mia, Now Im gonna try these, they look so yummy :)

McKenzie Elizabeth said...

Hi Mia,

Those look really good. I want to try them soon.

I love new recipes! Thanks for sharing it.

~M.E.~

Miss Jen said...

This looks soooo yummy! :)

Mia,
I've been enjoying your blog! It is a joy to see a young woman living her life for Christ.
Many Blessings in Christ,
Jen
www.blessedfemina.blogspot.com

Eleanor said...

Hello, Mia!

Those look so delicious! I am going to have to try this recipe myself.

I just found your blog this evening, but I am really enjoying reading your posts! I am a stay-at-home daughter too. These are special years in our lives, I do believe.

Anyway, just wanted to introduce myself. I'm Eleanor!

Rachel and Jessica said...

Thank you for the recipe Mia! Jessica and I tagged you so please go check out our blog!

Blessing!
Rachel and Jessica

http://younghomemakers.blogspot.com

LaFe said...

Hello, I'm Federica from Italy and I found your blog surfing the net. I love your recipes and I stole this one :) I have a few questions about it:
1- How can I make pumpkin puree? have I to boil, bake or something else?
2- Do you use orange pumpinkin or green one?
3-instead of cider can I use rum or something similar?

PS: I added your blog to my favourite, I hope this won't bother you :)