Monday, December 15, 2008

A flurry of excitement last weekend...

I love getting dressed up in period clothing, especially 19th century attire; so when our family was asked to re-enact in a 1860's Christmas presentation at a historic church, we were delighted!

I played guitar and sang, my parents both had speaking roles, and my siblings sang as well. It went wonderfully--above and beyond our expectations! We had a cast of about 30, and the candle-lit church held a "full house" of visitors. Even the cemetery outside was decorated with candles-The evening was truly magical!! As the letter writings of War-torn soldiers were read, Christmas carols sung, and a war-era funeral progressed, I enjoyed that feeling of being "put back in time". We all enjoyed the hoop skirt experience (although during rehearsal I knocked over my guitar stand, my music stand, guitar (cringe!), lost my guitar pick, and had to make sure I wasn't too close to the heater, I survived and avoided moving anywhere during the performance!)

Afterward, it was a huge blessing to greet the people who came. They seemed to really enjoy it and had nothing but praises for the event! We too had a "capital" time, and assured everyone we'd do this next year :)


Early Sunday morning, we traveled to SC to go to a conference at the house church we attend there. ~Mr. Scott Brown (from vision-forum ministries) came as a guest speaker, and his message was excellent! After fellowship meal, I played guitar and visited with friends before we left. We visited my Grandmother for a few hours, then we headed home! We had an eventful weekend, but look forward to the next two weeks of surprises and ministry! :)


All the ends of the earth will remember and turn to the LORD, And all the families of the nations will worship before You. Psalm 22:27

19 comments:

Miss Jen said...

It sounds and looks like you had a lovely weekend!
Your outfits are just beautiful.

akcooper said...

Outfits look great! Sounds like you had a wonderful time with your family and friends. Got to love this time of the season for special events like that. Maybe you'll get some snow this Christmas :)

Dayna said...

Mia, what fun! I love that your whole family was involved. I'm inspired to get out the patterns that have occupied space in my basket. My girls and I must get started!

The conference sounds great, too. I'm sure it was very edifying to hear Mr. Brown speak.

Thanks for sharing!

Lexie said...

What neat costumes you and your family have did you guys make those yourselves?

Rachel and Jessica said...

Wow! Mia! That sounds like so much fun! I just love reenactments! Your outfits are spectacular! I can totally relate to the hoop skirt troubles, I used to reenact with some friends from our homeschool group at local schools. I was always knocking stuff over! One time I knocked over my sewing basket during our play! There was stuff everywhere! Sooo embarrassing!

It sounds like you had an encouraging time at the conference! That's so nice you were able to go and then spend some time with your grandmother, too!

Merry Christmas!
Rachel

Mia said...

Thank you for your encouraging comments, ladies!!!
Ms. Dayna: Yes, it was definetly a privelege for our whole family to participate; I think that was the first time they had an african american family in the cast! And yes, hearing Mr. Brown preach was great--we were glad that we were able to come!
~
Lexie: Thank you! The gentleman who invited us actually owns many civil war era costumes and artifacts, so he provided the costumes. (although we did add a few accessories ourselves!)

Bria said...

WOW! sounds really fun! Did you make all the costumes? Your family is beautiful!

Laney said...

That sounds like so much fun! The costumes are beautiful! :) I didn't know you could play guitar! :) Glad you had a fun time! Thanks for sharing!

Blessings,
Laney

Vicki said...

Very precious...maybe you should use that picture of the family for your christmas picture's...you all look so happy and like you enjoyed it very well...the performing family..:)

Courtney said...

your costumes are beautiful! i adore dressing in costume :). you commented on my blog a LONG time ago, but i just saw it not too long ago. :/

you have a lovely blog, and i look forward to 'reading'more of you! :)

Pauline Disciple said...

Although I am a male and can relate to about 10% of your blog content (Jus kiddin'), I'd like to say that I enjoy your posts and keep up the good work.

Jenna said...

Hi Mia!
Thank you for visiting my blog and commenting on it! I hope that something on it encouraged you today:)

Merry Christmas,
Jenna

Jenna said...

Mia,
Can you share the pattern for your dresses? They're just beautiful!
My Mom mentioned to me earlier today that we have alot of the same interests!!!

Jenna

Michelle said...

Hi Mia,
I found your blog at Renee's blog (http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/WhiteCottageinAutum)

I'll be back again..
BTW, I like your name.

Blessings,
Michelle@JourneyHome

Diane said...

Mia,
Thank you for visiting my blog and for your nice comments. What a pretty one you have! I loved seeing you in the period costumes. It sounds like it must have been a wonderful time.
I'd love to add your blog to my list of favorites. I think a lot of my visitors would enjoy stopping by yours!
Merry Christmas blessings!
Diane

Diane said...

PS: Mia, I just scrolled down farther on your blog...it gives me goosebumps! How very, very lovely!!
I WILL BE BACK!
Hugs! Diane

tinkerverve said...

Hi Mia, - I found your blog today through Diane's post and I have enjoyed my visit so much. You are a very inspiring young lady. I live in Washington state and I need to check and see if we can grow stevia here. I use it everyday. Christmas Blessings to you and God bless.

Mrs. Bridget G. said...

I wish you would have taken more pictures, it sounds wonderful. I wish they had things like that where i lived, or at least close by!

Moriah said...

I have a hoop skirt. I love it. People have such good imagination with clothes!