Saturday, December 6, 2008

A homemade petticoat...



Our family will be participating in an 1860's Christmas presentation, for which, I require a petticoat (among other things!) and decided that it would be best if I made my own. I ran across this website on how to make a petticoat for $1.00 using a dust-ruffle!http://www.shasta.com/suesgoodco/newcivilians/womenswear/pettiproject.htm


I tried it out, and it worked perfectly :)
We started with a full-size dust-ruffle...

Cut the "ruffle" side that we didn't need...

Fold in half, then fold and mark the length...

Here's Mother measuring the petticoat (I'm tall, so I think I made mine 38")

Then cut the desired length...
Pin the side seam together (I doubled mine by folding it in half, so I don't have 2 sides to pin/sew, only one side)
Then I just sewed a straight line down the seam..
(lol can you tell I'm fancy with stitch-work? :)
For the drawstring waist, I just folded the top, then sewed that...

Using a string with a safety pin attached to the end, guide it through the casing...

Then you can adjust it to any size!

Finished!
ps) Caught you, Mom! She was tending to her herbs whilst I took this photo...

~~~



This is a picture of myself wearing the petticoat underneath my favourite 19th century dress.

19 comments:

Joelle said...

Awww! That's fantastic! I'm sure the play will be great.

Madison said...

Amazing work Mia! :) Great job!

~Madison

Rachel and Jessica said...

Wow Mia! What a great idea! I will have to try that sometime! You look so lovely in your dress!

Blessings!
Rachel

Rose said...

Great idea. It sure turned out nice. I love your dress to. Very charming.

akcooper said...

I have to echo the other comments and say that making your own petticoat was a great idea. It really did turn out great and I love how you post pictures of the different steps - very helpful for other aspiring homemakers ;)
God Bless,
Shannon

Laney said...

Wow! It looks amazing! You did a great job on it! :) Thanks for sharing!

Miss Jen said...

Your petticoat is just beautiful!
I have seen that same pattern before and considered making it but just never got around to it!
Your dress is lovely, as well. :)

Vicki said...

great mia...good work.

Ashley said...

Great work! I love your dress!

Meredith Ivy said...

Hi Mia!

That is so neat that your family knows the Steidingers! What a small world. :)

I've considered making a hoop skirt to go under my colonial dress and this post is an inspiration to try it out!

Have a great week, Mia!


Meredith

Bria said...

Thank you for this!!!

I have been trying to find the best pattern. I love wearing petticoats, thats why mine are all worn out. Did you make the dress? Its beautiful! I love 18th & 19th century and Jane Austen dresses. If I had my way, I would wear them every day! I love your playlist!

Lisa said...

Girl, you never cease to amaze me!

PS I just figured out that you and your mom had left comments on my blog!! LOL Lisa

Miss Cloe said...

Wow! That will be so much fun for you guys! I wish that we had a 1860's christmas program where I live! that would be so much fun! That is such a neat idea on using the ruffle to make a petty coat!

Miss Serenity said...

Wow! What a fun thing to sew! Cute dress, too, by the way. :)

I'm sure we'd all love to see pictures of your play when it's over! Have fun!

Thank you for your comment on my Christmas post. I've replied back, and would love to continue the discussion!

Serenity

Lexie said...

Seeing your dress is making me determined to learn how to sew. I love old fashioned kinds of dresses that you can't find in stores so I'm on a mission to sew at least one dress for myself.

Jenna said...

Mia,
We Love this dress! I on accidently posted a comment on the other dresses instead of this one...so - can we have this dress pattern instead? Thank you much:)

Jenna

Jessica Courter said...

I've done that before, the only difference is I used a curtain that already had a ruffle sewn onto it! It's great to see a little "tutorial" on it!
BTW, thanks for commenting on my blog, else I would have never found you. Your blog is beautiful! We have much the same tastes and I am thoroughly enjoying my "stay" here :) Keep up the good work! I'll be back :D

Caley said...

Using a dust ruffle for a petticoat is a great idea! What we did was use our old curtains, and it made 4 petticoats! all for free!

God bless you!

Mrs C said...

I have been looking for a simple petticoat pattern and this is one I am going to try.