Monday, December 22, 2008

Winter, you are most welcome...


What a cold morning! Last night we kept warm sitting by
the fireplace, and enjoyed reading by candlelight.

~
Frosty plant...
(um, I think it's a weed, but I didn't want to admit that...lol)


Last week, I was able to have a 'sewing lesson' by one of the older women at church. She used to make all of her daughters' clothes, and I was able to learn so much history as well. She told of when patterns used to cost $0.15, young women married at 16, and candy was "5 for a penny"!


This photo is titled: "Learning About Dressmaking in Class to Prepare Her For Married Life" LIFE Magazine, 1948
~


We were invited to come dressed up in our re-enacting attire again to sing Christmas carols yesterday...In a historical house (built in the early 1800's) We sang accapella, and it was so much fun being able to see all the costumes again! The local news reporters were there for the event as well. {Unfortunately, I wasn't able to take pictures, but if I'm emailed any, I'll post them!} While there, we were able to meet new people, and more opportunities for ministry came up! My sister and I were asked to sing (on the spot!) for an older couple, so we just sang "silent night" since it was being played on the organ in the other room. It went really well, and next thing we know, we're asked to sing at their church! (!?!)

I think we'll be doing more re-enacting as well...so much has happened this month, its amazing! I apologize for not blogging as frequently, having a busy schedule is foreign territory for us! :)

Ah, but the Lord is GOOD!




"Let the message about Christ, in all its richness, fill your lives. Teach and counsel each other with all the wisdom he gives. Sing psalms and hymns and spiritual songs to God with thankful hearts. " Colossians 3:16

8 comments:

Jenna said...

How fun! Do you and your sister do parts? If so, which ones? My twin brother and I can sing parts together, and are teaching are younger siblings:)

Merry Christmas~
Jenna

Mia said...

Hi Jenna!
To answer your previous question about the dresses, unfortunately we didn't sew them ourselves, they were given to us to use for re-enacting. (Hopefully I'll learn how to make dresses like that, though!)
Yes, my sister and I do sing parts :) I sing harmony/alto, and my sister sings lead/soprano! ps) I think its neat that you have a twin brother!
Thanks for commenting :)

--Mia

Lisa said...

Such a blessing to hear how God is using your family's willingness to "stick your necks out"! to provide fellowship, fun, AND ministry opportunities!!

Diane said...

Mia, there is a pattern company that makes re-enactment designs. I can't remember the name of it. Let me see if I can find it and I'll send you the link. Maybe there will be something simple you can try.
Blessings,
Diane

Diane said...

Mia, here is one place online where you can find Civil War era patterns:

www.tstitches.com/store/patternspage.htm

It isn't the company I was thinking about but they have some nice ones here.

:-) Diane

Miss Jen said...

Mia, how special to have some qaulity time with an older godly woman. Oh, what wisdom can be gleaned from women who have gone before us!
The pictures in this post were just beautiful, I especially loved the one of the young girl "Learning about Dressmaking in Class to prepare for Married Life." Ahh, to sweet! :)

Hope you and your family have a lovely,
blessed Christmas!

Your Sister-in Christ,
Miss Jen

Maggie said...

Greetings!
I have been led to your blog a few times by different links from separate blogs and each time I am greeted with great material and fun posts! I must congratulate you!

Have a Great Day!
Merry CHRISTmas!
Maggie

Sloan said...

Hi Mia,

I'm Sloan and found your blog through Maiden's of Worth. Your blog is amazing and is a breath of fresh air. From the beautiful posts, to the (of course) beautiful Pride and Prejudice music. Don't you wish that there were more maidens who lived like this?

Long dresses and serving the Lord!

I'm all for it!

Sloan <><