Monday, January 26, 2009

I've been tagged!


Miss Rachel
from Young Homemakers has tagged me!
The rules:
1. Fill in your memories of 2008
2. Link my blog to yours
3. Tag others and comment on their blogs so they know they've been tagged
~
Memories from 2008

~

A good book I read-

Hands down, this book, "The Self Sufficiency Handbook" by Alan & Gill Brigewater has been the best book for simple, easy, how to knowledge for starting your own farm and desire to be "off-grid". From animals to food preservation, its perfect if your a beginner in the self sufficiency concept. There were many-a-night that we dreamed of living in the country as we eagerly paged through the book! Now that our "dream" is a reality, I still consider this book a staple for our bookshelf! I purchased this book last summer, when we toured Tuskegee University/George Washington Carver museum.


A great film/movie I watched-

This was a beautiful movie that was recommended, and we loved it! My mother, sister and I had a lovely "girls night" watching Cranford as we sipped Chamomile tea...
*sigh*

The movie is very reminiscent of Wives and Daughters/Sense and Sensibility/Emma. The plot isn't so much "love story" but about a small traditional town and how the new railway is distressing the locals. Lovely landscape, beautiful costumes, and great casting! Very touching, and at the end you feel....satisfaction. The way a movie should be!

A new place I visted-

For my 17th birthday, we traveled to Houston, TX! We were able to see my aunt and cousins, and toured as many museums as we could! Jasmine recommended Old Spring Town, which is a village of beautiful homes made into antique shops and cafes. We had a lovely time, and on Sunday we were able to meet the Baucham Family!

An inspiring verse or quote I read-

"Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perserverance. Perserverance must finish it's work so that you may be mature, and complete, not lacking anything." James 1:2-4
Last year at camp, I was helping my friend memorise this verse, and I decided to put it to music. Word for word, I played it on guitar, and we were able to perform it. Ever since then, this verse has stayed with me, and whenever a situation of distress comes up, I just start quoting and humming along!

~
A discovery I made-

When I started to blog last summer, little did I know how fun and encouraging it would be! I have been so encouraged to find other blogs of young women who are going "counter-cultural" and standing up for their beliefs!

I look forward to continuing this hobby :)
~
A new skill I aquired-

I actually learned how to freeze fruits and veggies last year! I know I know, this sounds very basic, but I had never froze anything (in big quantities) before. We bought 6 cases of peaches last June, and I think we chopped and bagged 4 cases! So, many peach cobblers later,(lol) they've lasted all winter, and I think we have 2 bags left :)

~

A lesson I learned-

Oh my, I'm still learning! But I think the art of contentness has been the biggest for me!
~
A moment I will always remember-

When we spent Christmas Day at the cottage before we bought it. We had a wonderful time!!


I tag: Jen , Jenna , Lady Farmer , and Laura!
ps) This is also open to anyone who's intrested--I tag you!!!
I'd love to hear your memories from 2008 :)

15 comments:

Jenna said...

Thank you so much Mia! This is the first time that I've ever been tagged...I will think about my answers tonight, and post it by tomorrow:)
Thanks again,
Jenna

p.s. My Mom and I just LOVE your blog:)!!!

Lady Farmer said...

Yikes! Mia ~
I think my brain is too old for this ~ I can hardly remember what I did yesterday, let alone last year! But I will give it a think and see what I come up with.
Thanks for thinking of me. ;~}

Bria said...

Interesting post! YEs I have been dying to see Cranford! SO it is a good girl movie? Yay!

Miss Julia said...

I really want to see Cramford!

Wonderful post, Mia! :)

I have a question... I'm starting up a cooking blog, (http://mycookiesandcream.blogspot.com) and I was wondering if you would let me post some of your recipes on it? I'm collecting recipes from all over the place to use there. :) You would get full credit and link-backs... and if you want it you'd be presented with a cute cookie button that says "I've been featured at Cookies and Cream". (that's the title of my new blog. :)

Anyway, have a great day!
Miss Julia

Down the Rabbit Hole said...

Thank you for sharing! I will have to watch the movie Cranford. The book looks wonderful too! It is so refreshing to hear how you live and you are so talented! So nice reading your memories!
Blessings!
Selia

Miss Jen said...

Mia, this was very kind of you....
I look forward to posting about it in the next few days!! ;) It has been such a joy to meet you and to share similar interests in Biblical womanhood and feminine loveliness!
Many blessings to you dear friend.

Love Your Sister in Christ,
Jen

P.S.
Yes indeed, isn't Cranford just delightful, oh, if only we could watch it together....that would be so much fun. ;)

Paula said...

Dear Mia,

I enjoyed reading your memories from 2008! I look forward to reading The Self-Sufficiency Handbook. I loved Cranford! My dear husband and sweet son enjoyed watching it with me too! It was so wonderful! I am glad you had a happy 17th birthday. Your trip sounded delightful!

I love the verse you shared!

Blessings in Jesus,
Paula

Simply Vintagegirl said...

We enjoyed Cranford as well.

How neat to get to travel to Texas, I have never been there before, and especially sweet that you were able to meet the Bauchams!

I am so very glad that you started blogging and am glad to hear that you plan on continuing the hobby. :)

It seems that you had a lovely 2008! I just might end up doing this tag, thank you.

Looking forward to meeting you at Crossroads! :D

Joyfully,
Miss Emily Rose

Mia said...

I'm so glad many of you have enjoyed Cranford as well! :)

Jenna,
I'm glad you'll try the tag, and I'm so delighted that you and your mom enjoy my blog! You are too sweet!

Lady Farmer,
I can completely relate! It took me "foreevverr" to finish up the post--I couldn't think of anything! lol

Julia,
That sounds great! (I feel honored that you'd want to use my recipes!) Thank you!!!

Jen,
I agree, what a fun time that would be! I'm glad to have "met" you, and enjoy your blog so much! Indeed, its fun to discover how much we have in common! :)

Ms. Paula,
Thank you!! I had forgotten all the fun things we did last year; indeed, I had a lovely birthday!

EmilyRose,
Thank you! I can't wait to meet you at the conference as well!
I'm so looking forward to it!!!!

Madison said...

Hello Mia!
I think I may take you up on the tag. :)
Oh my word! You know Christine? I knew that you knew my cousin Macy, but I had no idea you knew Christine! I'm thinking about joining FBLA this fall, but I guess you wouldn't be there. :( Anyway, that is really interesting that you know her!

~Madison

Rachel and Jessica said...

Hi Mia! You have another award! Go see our blog for details!

Those are some great memories! I wish I could can food, maybe someday if we ever get a garden! =;)

Blessings!
Rachel

Ella said...

Mia,

I have yet to see Cranfod actually, but I have it on hold at my library. So I am excited to see it.

I would love to meet Jasmine one day. She and I bantered back and forth about politics this past year via e-mail. It would be better to do it in person,

Glad I found you again!

remnant reminscences said...

I can't wait to see Cranford...and I loved North and South (also by Elizabeth Gaskell) even more than Wives and Daughters. If you haven't seen it, it'll be worth your time.

You have such a sweet place here. I tried leaving a comment on the post where you made a skirt but I don't know what happened to it. I couldn't find it when I went back to look for it. Anyway, I found a skirt patteren very similar to the one you made in Walmart. It's very beautiful...long, flowing...

Anonymous said...

Hello Mia,

What a beautiful, godly blog! I am 24 years old and unlike you, I have to 'look out for myself'. It is horrible being a wage slave, having to search hither and yon for a decent job; working for ugodly, unappreciative, callous and immoral bosses. Each day witnessing men and women undermine their vows in the so called workplace. The older I become, the more I desperately yearn for God-pleasing work I can do from my home. You are so blessed to have a stable, loving and nurturing family. Parents who are determined to raise their children to embrace Christ and walk in His narrow way. Not all Christian families are happy or biblically literate as yours. Believe me.

My purpose in dropping a comment is to inform you that since I always link to your blog from Jasmine Baucham's, yours no longer appears on the blogroll.
It's now not so easy finding you!

would you care to communicate this to Miss Baucham and have it corrected?

Thank you, apologies for being sooo demanding.

Thankful Paul said...

Hello! :)