Monday, February 2, 2009

Work day, Play day, Blessed day on the farm...


While we were at the cottage last weekend, we were blessed to have a dear family stop by on Saturday morning--ready to work!!
We had a fun time, and I got to spend time with their daughter; She blessed my heart so much!
She loves the fact that at our house you can dress "prairie style" and couldn't wait to wear her bonnet!!
~
Creating a Flower Garden:
Turning the soil and pulling weeds
Their family brought these beautiful flowers! I couldn't wait to plant!
Our hands :)
Finished! My Dad instructed us on how to soak the roots, prepare the area, and create well draining mounds. We finished it off by covering the bed with pinestraw--so it won't dry out :)
~
Cleaning the Chicken Houses:
We laughed so much--I was a little freaked out at the ABUNDANCE of cobwebs!
An old lock on the door

We had alot of fun! *cough* but it was dusty business!! I'm serious, this dust hasn't been moved for over 10 years, y'all!!
~

A Walk Together:
She was anticipating all day on going on a walk, but I was equally as excited!

It was just the two of us, and we enjoyed it! We walked and talked down the lane, then turned around and arrived at the cottage before it got too dark!
~
Their family spent the whole day with us, and we were so grateful for all the work that got done!

*Kitchen cabinets cleaned and lined
*House is 50% painted on the outside
*Windows were cleaned of aged,cracking paint
*The back bedroom walls and doors were cleaned
*Bathroom made progress (we're not quite done yet!)
*Chicken houses were *cough* cleared
*Back of the property was cleaned of all the trash left by previous owners
*The lawn was mowed (we're still not done!)
*Flower garden was planted (!!)




~Sunday~

After church, we came home, felt spontanious and decided to spend the rest of the day at the cottage!!! Why not? :)
A flowering tree I discovered in the woods.. (any ideas of its type?)

My Brothers craftmanship

Antique bottles we've discovered (so far!) on the property in hidden places...I started the idea of keeping them in the barn, now it's a fun collection :)
~
A Beautiful Evening

My sister and I rode bikes and went a little further down the lane this time.
It was quite chilly, the sun was fading, but it was beautiful!

Oh my, I kept wanting to burst into song!! The Lord is so good!

We stayed late into the night, then pioneered back to suburbia :(

We'll be back soon! Our hearts are definetely captured in this dear cottage!

20 comments:

Susie Mitchell said...

As always, my young friend, reading your blog makes my day better. May God rip up the floorboards of Heaven and dump more blessings on you than you'd thought to ask for.
Susie

akcooper said...

Beautiful pictures! Sounds like everything is going well at the cottage. Don't you just love cobwebs :)

God Bless,
Shannon

Lady Farmer said...

What a delightful way to spend the weekend! I think of the old addage " Many hands make light work." So good of friends to come to help.
Winter is still hangning on up our way, so I am a little bit jealous of your being able to "create a flower garden." I am anxiously awaiting planting time here. The little violas are so precious ~ they are one of my favorites.(But then, all flowers are my favorites!)
Cleaning the chicken houses ~ are you planning on having chickens? I love chickens. They are such comical little creatures. Some are so friendly and sweet. I have had them since I was a very young child living on my Grandparents farm. (I was raised by by Grandparents.)
The bottles will make sweet little vases for your flowers to come.
So glad you had a beautiful weekend at the cottage and got so much accomplished.
Hugs and Blessings!

Miss Jen said...

Mia,
What gorgeous pictures!!! Thanks so much for sharing. The flowers your friends bought you are just beautiful. It sounds and looks like you had a lovely, blessed, tranquil and pleasant weekend.
I just love to bicycle in a skirt as well, and it is a joy to see you and your sister do the same. It is such a blessing to see other women committed to feminine loveliness! A blessed Monday to you and your family. ;)

Love Your Sister in Christ,
Miss Jen

Natalie said...

You're really gifted at photography! I love looking at all the pictures!

Clara Van Nattan said...

Your cottage looks like so much fun and it is amazing to see the pictures. Did you sew your own dress and apron (the ones in the top photos)? I sew my own clothes and would love to make a dress in that style! :)

Paula said...

Dear Mia,
I enjoyed the beautiful photos so very much!!! I love how you, your sister, and dear little friend are all dressed! Such feminine loveliness!!!!

I am so thankful your sweet friends came to the cottage and helped you all accomplish so much! That is a blessing indeed! The pansies they gave you are so pretty. You and your friend did a wonderful job preparing the new flower bed. I can just see it full of flowers! We have a lot of pine straw around our cottage too. It makes wonderful mulch! I just planted two blueberry bushes and read that they like acidic soil, so I mulched them with pine straw.

You must be so excited preparing the chicken coop for your future flock! I love how you decorated with the old bottles.

The sunset is glorious! I would want to burst into song too! It makes me think of the lovely verse in Psalm 113:3 From the rising of the sun unto the going down of the same the Lord's name is to be praised. Yes, the Lord is so good!!!

Thank you so much for sharing the gorgeous photos, and the happenings at your lovely dear cottage!

Many blessings in Jesus,
Paula

Wendy said...

Hi Mia! I recently stumbled upon your blog and just wanted to say that you're a very impressive young woman and your blog is a beautiful little slice of life. Your life in the country sounds so wonderful and it's refreshing to see a young lady have such an appreciation of home and hearth as you have. I will be interested to see how your lovely homestead comes along!

Vicki said...

Oh, Mia, I just want to burst with tear's of joy for you all. I am so happy! The picture's are GREAT and thanks for keeping us updated on what's going on. Hoping to get back down to the cottage soon!'

With love,

(Auntie) ;) Vicki

Miss Jocelyn said...

Very pretty photos. I love them and getting to take a peak into your life. :)

Shalom,
Miss Jocelyn
aponderingheart.com

Hannah said...

You're pictures are fantastic - you've got a great eye. : ) That flowering tree looks slightly like a dogwood, but I think dogwood flowers are more rounded. Whatever it is, it's beautiful.

Mia said...

Thank you ladies for all your encouraging comments!!

Ms. Clara,
I didn't sew the dress, but the denim apron (in the first picture) my sister made out of a jumper style dress. It turned out beautiful! Now I'm hoping to do the same--recycle my old skirts to make into aprons etc.

Lady Farmer,
Thank you! Yes, I'm hoping we'll be able to purchase hens this spring--that would be wonderful! Oh, and I love the vase idea--hmm...hopefully we'll try it out!

Well, thank you again!
Blessings,
Mia

The Henderson Family said...

Simply lovely!

May God richly bless you and your sweet family.

Mrs. Taunya

TheyCallTheWindMariah said...

Hi, Mia! Thanks so much for the comments on my blog! =)

I stumbled across yours and was immediately sucked in. Your blog is just beautiful! I scrolled through some of your posts... You take AMAZING photographs! They are just gorgeous! And, this cottage your family purchased looks so awesome! I bet it will take a lot of work, but be an amazing and blessed experience for you!

I look forward to reading more of your posts. God bless.

~Riah

Simply Vintagegirl said...

It looks like you had a wonderful weekend. You have inspired me to make my wardrobe more old fashioned - you wear such beautiful dresses!

I'm glad that you and your company were able to get so much done.

Your photos are lovely and God's sunset so glorious! I love how He shows His might in the sunsets both great and small!

See you soon! :)

Joyfully,
Miss Emily Rose

Ruby said...

Absolutely gorgeous photography and content. Thanks
Ruby in Australia

Anonymous said...

La Dolce Vita!!

YOur family life, beautiful pictures and priarie attire cause me to imagine the incredible beauty of Heaven. *sigh*

Oh my...

remnant reminscences said...

what beautiful photos!

Wren Cottage said...

Oh so lovely... you are a very talented and special young lady... you have blessed my heart.
Thank you...
xoxo Madai

Dreamer said...

Mia,

You are a beautiful and remarkable young woman. I am glad that the Deliberate Agrarian pointed me in this direction.

I love your green dress by the way. It is beautiful. Did you make it yourself?