Saturday, April 25, 2009

A blessed week...

We've had some beautiful weather as-of-late!
~


My peculiar hobby: Reading the newspaper for sales and events...

Mom, my sister and I spent all day Thursday as a "shopping day!'' Usually we'll split up grocery shopping and going to secondhand stores, but we used this rare opportunity to go "on the town" while Dad and my brother stayed at home to work in the yard!

I've developed an interest in hats, and I love the vintage pictures of women wearing them; its so distinctly feminine! (I'll be adding more 'ladies in hats' pictures on my sidebar for inspiration!)
~
A beautiful booth at an antique mall

My Treasures...
~
Straw hat $2.50
I always try to get straw hats when I can! I like to have a few available for friends to wear when they visit the cottage. This one I can easily decorate :)

~
Red hat $2.50

Its a doeskin/wool hat in pristine condition--the style looks Victorian to me :) My mom insists that its "too red" for spring/summer and is best for winter...hmm, maybe I can pull it off?



Black hat $1.99
I really don't like the black/white combination--it looks too "stern" for me...I think I'm going to replace the white with a colored or printed ribbon...


My lucky purchase! I found this beautiful Victorian portrait for $8 at Goodwill Thrift. That's pretty expensive (for me) but I think its worth it! It's quite large--about 20" tall.



3 Patterns $1.25

I bought two patterns for $0.50 each, and found a "historic" 19th century skirt pattern for $0.25!!! I was pretty excited about that :) My sister and I are currently attempting the skirt pattern, but we're doing it by hand, not machine! I don't know why, but I love to see those uneven stitches! It's improving though :)


~
Floral cream pitcher $0.25
It's a perfect pen and pencil holder!
~


"The grass withers, the flower fades, But the word of our God stands forever."

Isaiah 40:8


My brother picked flowers for my mom--I thought this was such a "Kodak" moment!
And this wasn't posed at all!
~Honeysuckle vines...

An update on the chickens--they're adjusting quite well! My Dad and brother built a temporary chicken house for them so they can be outside while the official chicken coop is being built!
~
Re-enacting
The group we're apart of was asked to sing at a memorial service on Saturday morning...we had a lovely time!


My Mother and sister...

The dresses were at a historical museum, and we changed into them in the rooms--I loved it!!


My outfit...

I had so much fun going through the museum in period dress! I was very comfortable and didn't feel like I was in a "costume" at all!
~

Doesn't my Mom look lovely?
~

Fellowship

The Singers...

As you can tell, we had a delightful day!
~

Stitching away...
I'm almost finished with the gingham skirt I'm sewing by hand; I'll update you soon :)

25 comments:

Deanna said...

Absolutely lovely period dresses and outfits. This had to be great fun.

God Blessed you in your shopping. Love this when it happens shopping.

God Bless you real good,
Deanna from the Kansas Flinthills

Cheesemakin' Mamma said...

You ladies look so beautiful! Our dream is to be part of a Civil War Reenactment group as a family. Thise groups are hard to come by in Eastern Oregon, but there are quite a few groups on the west-side of Oregon. Sigh...maybe someday.

Your pictures are gorgeous as usual and I love to see all your finds.

God Bless you and your family as you continue to bless other just living your life.

Jenna said...

You are amazing Mia, to attempt making clothes by hand:) I sew by machine right now...!

Gorgeous finds too!! The reenacting pictures are so fun. Someday my family and I want to reenact...we already have our dresses made!!!

Blessings~
Your sister in Christ,
Jenna

Chaos Cottage said...

You all are a lovely family, inside and out!

Pam

Tasha said...

Mia, do share what type of group you are in. Wish we could find something like that here in TX.
Lovely pictures, awesome treasures, lovely!!!

Abigail and Lydia said...

What beautiful purchaces! They are simply lovely! I love your outfits for the re-inactment!! Very pretty!
In Christ,
Lydia

Miss Jen said...

Mia,
Simply lovely!!!
I so enjoyed all of these
beautiful pictures. The hats you
purchased are so nice and the civil
war reenactment costumes were *sigh*
wonderfully enchanting! It's always a JOY to visit you, dear friend.
Blessings!!!!!

With Much Love,
Jen

Laura @ Goose Hill Farm said...

What lovely treasures you found, Mia. I always love coming to your blog. You are an inspiring young woman.

I love your zest for life and your love for the Lord.

Blessings~
Laura

dukygurl said...

The dresses are so elegant and lovely. It looked like fun.

. said...

Reading your blog and looking to your amazing pictures is such a pleasure to me as seeing a Jane Austen movie: beauty all over.
Thank you. It feels so good and it's such an inspiration.

Alfazema

Clara Van Nattan said...

I have that "historic" 19th century skirt pattern you found for $0.25, only I had to pay something like $12 for it! I love it, couldn't resist getting it - but haven't had a chance to make it yet. Will look forward to seeing your skirt when it's done! Love your pictures :)

simplebeauty said...

Oh the memorial would have been so neat to see! I love historical homes. When I lived in Spring Texas when I was a little girl I remember going to the open houses at Christmas. The ladies would all be dressed up and they would serve hot apple cidar and traditional cookies :O) It is still my most treasured Christmas memories! Your outfits are lovely!!

I just love coming to your blog and visiting. It is always fun and refreshing :O)

Allison said...

I love your costumes! They are so pretty!

It is quite funny, I found the exact same picture of the lady reading the newspaper the other day on flickr, and I put it on my blog!

My mom sewed the skirt pattern that you bought for the "Christms Carol" play we were in. It tunred out quite nice!

Have a great day!

Allison (http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/wonderland21)

Lauren Ann said...

those are lovely pictures!

Megan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Molly said...

Hey there Mia, I was searching for fellow christian mommas. So glad I found your blog. It's lovely. Great pictures. What an awesome day. I love History, and I love period style clothing. I love watching old movies just to look @ their outfits. I love hats too. I wore my favorite one in my last post as a matter of fact.

Diane said...

Mia, you have found the most amazing treasures!! And your re-enactment looks like so much fun. We just love visiting living history museums - very much like the re-enactments.
Diane

Maria said...

Hello!
Where do you get your fabric? Is making your own clothes cheaper than buying them? The same price? Or more expensive? Is it worth it?

Sorry I have so many questions!
I have been debating about whether or not to get a sewing machine and learn how to make my own clothes!

Are there any good sites about learning and making your own clothes?

Thanks!

~Maria

Susie Mitchell said...

As always, my young friend...your blog entry is lovely and inspirational. I'll tell you that Mamas always know best...but, I am a hat person...not only that...red is my favorite color...I wear it year round! LOL
Make every day a day worth remembering. Never miss an opportunity to make a memory to store away in your heart as a treasure to recall another day.
Blessings,
Susie

McKenzie Elizabeth said...

Hello Mia!
I love all the pictures! The costumes looked simply beautiful.

I hope you are having a blessed day!

~McKenzie Elizabeth~

Lucy said...

I am envious, but in a good way.

Mia said...

Thank you for your wonderful comments!!!

Ms. Megan,
(You have a lovely blog! I really enjoyed reading your posts!)We actually got started in Living History/Re-enacting by going to different events and just being interested in dressing up etc. Well we were asked one day to be a part of a 19th century Christmas presentation at a historic church, and have been hooked ever since! Luckily for us, the group is Christian, and we knew a few members before we started, so its like one big family! I'm sorry the revolutionary war re-enacting wasn't a good experience--but honestly, I think civil war can be the same, it's not the time period, it's those involved! I'll be praying you find like-minded folks who will start a group; it's a fun hobby :)
~
Ms. Maria,
I usually buy my fabric secondhand, but recently I purchased fabric from www.periodfabric.com It's a great site with period correct material!
Yes, I think making a dress or skirt by hand is cheaper than buying it...I think its worth it to buy one dress you really like, then try to make your next dress by hand..that way, you always have one to use as a guide :)
To tell you the truth, I haven't found many sites at all that give good info on making clothes...maybe that's one project I can try in the future!
~
I enjoyed your questions, I'm so sorry I'm late in answering them!!
In Christ,
*Mia

lilyamongthorns16 said...

Simply lovely! Sounds like such a wonderful day. Your sewing skills are certainly wonderful!

Allison said...

Oh, wow, Mia, really -- I can only imagine how thrilling it would be to feel a hoopskirt brushing the ground as I move! It leaves me breathless, the simple thought! Molly, who commented earlier, I totally agree: watching 19th-century movies is a delight -- the skirts, the countryside, the horses, everything!! I will probably post later, Mia;

Delightedly,
Allison

Marie said...

Mia-Hello! I just found you blog, and I must say it is a delight to read! I was looking through your photos and one of them looked very very familiar. The picture of the young girl with the flowers, and the letter in her hand, we have the same picture hanging in our living room! (Of course it is in a different frame though) How odd is that?! We have had it for some time now, at least 15 years! Well, i just had to let you know!

For now,
~Marie