Monday, May 18, 2009

A Busy month...


I can't believe a fortnight has passed! The weather is lovely, and we have a few extra hours of daylight in the evening time, now! Recently I've become interested in civil war history, so between researching and homemaking, I don't know where the time goes...
~


The day before Mothers Day, I recieved a lovely package from a kindred spirit, Ms. Christina! It was so thoughtful of her, and I enjoyed all the trinkets! Thank you Christina!

~


I hope you had a wonderful Mothers Day week! Last Saturday we traveled to South Carolina to visit my grandmother. It's always a challenge, as she dislikes our way of doing things (being Christians, wearing skirts, staying at home etc.) So we try to use our time there to serve her in any way we can. The verse I thought of was 1 Peter 3:15--
"But in your hearts set apart Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect."
~
Instead of going to church on Sunday, my Dad led our own church service right in my Grandmother's parlor! He wanted her to be a part of what we do as Christians, but unfortunately, she didn't come in to be with us at all. Despite all this, we sang, I played a few hymns on the guitar, and my Dad taught a lesson on Mothers of the Bible. I think she was encouraged that we came though. Later that day, we had a treat...

~

We attended a polo game!
~

It was so much fun to observe the horses agility and speed! We really enjoyed ourselves!
~

Amish Potato Rolls
from the cookbook, "A Return to Sunday Dinner" by Russell Cronkhite

Peel & cook 4-5 medium potatoes in boiling water until tender. Mash and measure 2 cups of potatoes, and reserve 1 cup potato water in small bowl.
~

To the warm potato water, add 4 TBsp sugar and 2 packets of yeast.

Let mixture stand for 5 minutes, then stir to dissolve.
~

In a pan, melt 1 stick of butter...
~


Add 1.5 cups milk, and 2 tsp salt..


~


Remove from heat and add the mashed potatoes and 2 eggs.

Pour the yeast mixture into the pan, then pour the contents into a large mixing bowl

~ I added 4 cups wheat, and 4 cups self rising/white flour

~

Carefully mix together...

There's the dough!
~
Cover with a tea towel, and let rise for 1 hour
~
This is what it looks like after rising..now, punch it down and let rise for 30 minutes...
~
Now it's ready!
~
I try not to manipulate the dough too much, but I cut out the rolls like biscuits, then cover & let them rise on the pan for 20 minutes. Bake in a 400 degree oven for 10-12 minutes...
~


There you are! Delicious, fluffy rolls! *cough* you'll notice some are missing...lets just say my family had a "testing" when I left the kitchen! Ah, they are soo good with butter and honey...A delightful breakfast as well :)

~


A pleasant chore...laundry!
Dad built us an extra long line so we can do multiple loads in one day!
~
A surprise for you...

Faith had kittens!

Remember the little kitten that "found" us? Well she's grown over the past months,
and is now the "Mama Cat". She delivered 3 kittens last week..today they're 5 days old!
~

Unusual Flowers

I don't know the name of this variety, but it's very interesting!
~

This purple one is a "Passion Flower" which I just discovered today in the meadow, soaking up the sun!

(yikes, it looks """interesting""", that's for sure...)

~


Squash
~

Swiss Chard
~
I've got quite a few projects I'm working on that'll keep me busy, but don't worry, I'll be blogging much more often!

24 comments:

Iyana Yona said...

Nothing more precious than the everyday goings on of family life.
God is faithful and continue to pray for your grandma's eyes to be open to the truth of the Lord Jesus Christ's work on the cross.

On your previous entry, you received 2 questions pertaining to a skirt pattern and natural herb remedies... I'm sure you will reply when you have time..


Delightful blog and thank you for the recipes.

Julian said...

mia,
so happy the package blessed you. I have sent you a long letter. and am looking forward to your reply.Thanks for the beautiful pictures! The kitties are so cute, and the flowers are beautiful! Laundry is a chore I also love to do. Clean smelling sheets ad clothes. Nnothing like it! Thoes rolls look delicious! Id probably sneak some too! I have missed you blogging, and have been checking every day, so I am glad I found you this morning! Hugs and blessings,
Christina

Kelsey Anne Hoppman said...

Mia,
Thank-you for the fun recipe!
I have a step Grandmother that strongly believes I should go to college, and she doesn't like the way I dress. (skirts, modest dresses)
She will often drop obvious hints or just tell me strongly why I need to go to college.
Thank-you for the bible verse of encouragement.
God Bless,
Kelsey

Mia said...

Iyana Yona,
Thank you! I can't believe I hadn't answered those questions in the last post! Thank you for the sweet reminder :)
~
Christina,
I'm glad you liked the pictures..I hate it has taken me this long to blog! YES, fresh laundry on the line is a delight :)
Thank you for being such a dedicated reader!
~
In Christ,
Mia

Lisa Gentry said...

I have passion flowers growing around my horses water buckets in the pasture... If you look real close at the vine there should be little round green balls growing on them... They are called Maypops and as they grow they will lighten in color and look like they are filled with air... When they turn a yellow color and the skin looks thin, pick them and split one open... Inside is some clear seedy fruit that is sweet... Just suck the fruit off the seeds... They usually aren't ready till the middle to end of summer.

dukygurl said...

I have told my husband that, should we attend the pic-nic I may fall in love with Georgia and never want to leave. It looks so beautiful! I do miss living in a more southern state. I am not sure if snyone in GA would think Missouri exactly southern but my heart is definitely there! Your blog is so charming and inviting!

Renee' said...

Thank You for sharing the pictures :)

William said...

Thanks for the amish rolls recipe, that looks scrumptipus.

Miss Jen said...

Mia,
What a delightful post!!!
Yum.... those Amish Potato Rolls
look scrumptious!! Thank you for sharing such beautiful pictures and words.... It is always a delight to visit you!!!

Many Blessings~ Jen

P.S.
Did you get my letter in the mail?!

. said...

That recipe looks so good. I must try it.
I like very much the picture of the laundry. Looks like a movie. Very nice. And doing the laundry is one of my favorite chores.

Alfazema

Rebekah said...

Aww how sweet! I'm hoping for our cat to have kittens :)

Michele said...

Kittens, chicks, veggie plants, laundry on the line, mouth-watering biscuits...true delights! Thank you for sharing them all!

Christina said...

Take a close look at the flower, it resembles the Crown of Thorns given to Jesus of Nazareth. Hence the name.
Passion Flower makes a wonderful relaxing tea. It is safe to use for all ages. The kids and I harvest it each year in a field near our home and we make a fresh cup of tea in the evening. I then tincture it and use it during the year as an accompaniment to other herbs I use during colds and flu's.

Here is a link with some information.
http://www.altnature.com/gallery/passionflower.htm

Mrs.Christina McCullough
www.oldcountryherbs.wordpress.com

Kristen said...

I second the advice to use your passionflower medicinally :-) I'm afraid it may be too late in the year for me to do anything with it, but it is definately on my list of herbs to try out!

Thanks also for the bible verse... I am going to college, mostly because my mum wants me to and because I can teach ESL after I graduate, but not because I really think that I need it to fulfill my "potential". Also, trying to be more modest is a bone of contention with some of my family members as well!

Danman said...

Wow, great post. My mother has the "Return to Sunday Dinner" book and she uses it as a coffee table book.... but with biscuits like that, I'm gonna have to grab it and try it... mine NEVER look that good!

Laundry, an unpleasant chore? Really? I like doing it, at least in nice weather. There's something really calming to me about hanging the laundry out. Plus it makes it really easy to fold the clothes when it's dry.

Not sure what the flower is. Some kind of Alium maybe? Does it smell like onion? Passionflower is also called 'Maypop', because when the fruit sets, if you step on in, it "may pop". I guess it makes a small popping noise. That's where we get passion fruit. Are you aware that Spanish Missionaries to Central America named this flower? They used it to tell the story of the the Passion of Christ... the frill around the outside is the crown of thorns. There are 11 petals (I believe) representing the faithful disciples. Five stamen represent Christ's wounds, and three pistils represent the nails. Pretty cool, huh?

Love your blog, your pictures.

Ever been to Chicamauga battlefield? Really amazing place.

God Bless!

Kolfinnas Korner said...

I too love hanging out laundry. I think line dried clothes smell sooooo good! The kittens are cute! We love cats and have 4 our our own and several neighborhood cats that visit everyday

Simply Vintagegirl said...

It looks like you are keeping busy on the homestead! Those rolls look delicious, thank you for sharing the recipe. I noticed that you used a cast iron skillet, aren't they wonderful?!

I hope that you are all doing well and enjoying God's blessings!

Joyfully in Christ,
Miss Emily Rose

Maiden of Mercy said...

Hi Mia
This is Mercy Campbell. I met you at the Georgia family Camp. I love your blog. It is so encouraging. It is so beautiful. Keep it up. Have a great day!
~Mercy

Miss Jen said...

Happy 18th Birthday, Mia!!! ;)
Hope you have a wonderful day.
You are very special to me!
May the Lord bless you in this
coming year!!!!

Lots of Love,
Jen

Bria C. said...

I love your photos!!! Yes, we have the passion flower abundantly here in Alabama. You might want to change your color for the comment button and labels at the bottom of your posts. It's kind of hard to see.

Bria C. said...

Ooops! Never mind. My computer hadn't loaded your whole page before I commented! Sorry.

HIS daughter said...

Hi :) I am a part of the kindred spirit network and found your blog and it is such an encouragement to me :)
That is so neat that you are following through on your convictions! Thanks so much for the recipe! I am an aspiring homemaker as well and the whole cooking thing...still working on that! lol :-p
May God richly bless you :)
~Katy

Allison said...

Mia, Mia, you were so blessed to be able to see a polo game! It sounds fascinating!!

A quick question: where did you find that jewel-of-a-picture, that girl leaning gracefully upon her hands, in a white dress, with delicate gold spectacles? Just wondered . . .

Gratefully,
Allison

Monica said...

I am going to try your potato rolls, they look outstanding! The passion flower, if you google it, will find that it is used as an herbal remedy. It is used for anxiety, insomnia, restlessness, epilepsy, and other conditions of hyperactivity, as well as high blood pressure. I recently, bought a "Yogi Bedtime" tea that has primarily valarium and passion flower in it. It helps with my restlessness at night...(change of life symptom).

Love your blog.

In Christ,
Monica