Wednesday, May 27, 2009

On the road again...a family retreat and day trip!

We just came home from a wonderful retreat that was here in GA!
It was an absolute joy to be with so many visionary families that believe children are a blessing from the Lord!
This was my first Above Rubies conference, and it was wonderful! Ms. Nancy Campbell spoke to the women about the BLESSINGS of their roles as mothers, wives, and daughters. I also got to meet her daughter and grand-daughters, who were so sweet, and blessed us with lovely music! One of the young mothers there recognised me and asked if I had a blog; It was so encouraging to talk and meet with her--I'm amazed how the internet can connect those who are of like-mind!
~

My Birthday (May 26)
Yesterday was my 18th Birthday, and my parents surprised me with a road-trip to the living history museum, Seabrook Village!
~


Located near Savannah, we were blessed with lovely weather and we received a personal tour!

~

It was wonderful to talk to the guide about the blessings of self-sufficiency,
staying at home, and living a Godly life
~

The one-room schoolhouse... As we walked inside, I closed my eyes for a moment and imagined this room over 100 years ago--The echo of the hardwood floors, the sun beaming through the opened shutters, the handmade brooms..even the discipline switch! I felt like even the walls had a story to tell :)
~

It was nice to cool off at the water pump..This was my first time experiencing "priming the pump". As you can see, I wore my 19th century dress...believe me, it's more comfortable, plus, you feel like you've gone "back in time".
~

Inside the Home

This house was actually the tour guide's grandfathers home..

She remembered her Grandmother using this stove to cook the many meals over the years..this is the original, and its still in working condition!
~

Original shed and wagon



It was a small area filled with reminders of humble beginnings :)

Savannah~

Of course, who can travel that far to the coast and not visit the city? :) So we drove through historic Savannah and visited a few shops! Ps) Don't forget, I was wearing my prairie dress! LOL

Luckily, there were so many eccentrics around, I could pass as "artistic" ;)

~

Candy Shop

An employee prepares sweetened pecans...I enjoyed watching the process in action, I think more places should do this, because you're more encouraged to purchase fresh confections!

~

Dad treated us to Icecream..I decided on NY Blueberry Cheesecake! I must say, it was delicious!

(deliciously overpriced!)
~

It was a lovely day trip! Oh my, I can't believe I'm 18!! I'm currently preparing for my birthday party that I'm hosting this weekend...It's to be an Old fashioned Garden party!


For inspiration...

Ladies
Group shot...
Men, women and children
Ladies enjoying the grounds...

27 comments:

. said...

Happy birthday. May God keep you always like you are now: above rubies.

Alfazema

Trace4J said...

Happy Birthday!! How blesed you are!!
Much Love In The King
Granny Trace

Madison said...

Hello Mia!
Happy Birthday! =) It looks like you had a lot of fun! I absolutely love the picture of the old schoolroom. =)
Beautiful pictures!

~Madison

Miss Breezy Tulip said...

Oh Mia! What a beautiful birthday trip! Your pictures make me want to travel back in time.

Wow - 18! Do you feel any older? What do you think about it? Isn't it strange, and also wonderful, that when you meet kindred spirits, you don't recognize age. I know we didn't when we met you!
Happy (belated) birthday!

Lots of love,
-Breezy

Anonymous said...

Mia,

Happy belated 18th birthday! What a blessing you are to those around you.

Love,
Kelly Lancaster

remnant reminscences said...

I've been listening and learning from Nancy Campbell and Above Rubies for many years. It's a special day for me when their magazine comes in the mail.

Julian said...

Happy Birthday Mia! Now I know where youve been! Wow, 18. What a special age. I wish I lived close enough to come to your party! PLEASE put up the pictures for everyone to see!
What a special treat of a trip from your parents! I look so forward to hearing from you.
Blessings on your birthday, and kindredly yours,
Christina

Iyana Yona said...

Happy Birthday Miss Mia.
Love the photo of the family with children having a picnic. How heartwarming.

Enjoy your celebrations and may the next 18 years be even more beautiful in the Lord.

Laura said...

Happy, Happy Birthday!!!!!! :D

Kelsey Anne Hoppman said...

Happy Birthday Mia!

Jamie Allen said...

AWW, I wish I would have known you would be in Savannah, I could have met up with you all. Maybe next time. Happy Birthday sweetie, may God Bless you and keep you.
Jamie

The Henderson Family said...

Oh Mia you were close to our small town. If any of my neigbors saw you dressed in period attire they would probably think we were related. We get some pretty funny looks by folks driving by and seeing us lounging on the front porch in Civil War era dresses.

I agree with you they are very comfortable!!

Miss Eyebright said...

Wow! What a trip! It sounds well rounded, and wonderfully fun! First, a lovely conference, and then historic tours, that would be just about perfect. :D

Have a very bright, very cheerful day!
Miss Eyebright

Carole said...

Happy Birthday! I hope your party is as special as the person you are.

Stone Bridge Farm said...

Happy Birthday Mia! You and I are of like minds. I can just picture how it was in those pictures. Sometimes, days of old speak through places like this.

I thoroughly enjoy your blog. The pictures are lovely and I find that you are an inspiration to me. You may only be 18... but you have such an old soul. :0)

God bless you!

Have a wonderful party! Be sure to post pics. I cannot waitto see them!
Lori

Mia said...

Thank you for the birthday wishes!! Y'all are so sweet! :)
~
Breezy,
Good question! I feel excited--A little anxious perhaps (I'm asked the famous "what's NEXT?" question very often now) but other than that everything's been wonderful :)
~
Remnant Reminscences,
We enjoy the magazine as well! I'm glad you're familiar with the ministry too :)
~
Christina,
You're right! We'll be in contact with you soon :) Oh yes, I do hope to have PLENTY of pictures..this is my first time having a "big" party, and our first party at the cottage! True, my parents definetely surprised me! I really didn't think we'd be able to go :)
~
Iyana Yona,
I love that picture as well!! Don't you wish families still dressed like that?
~
Jamie Allen,
You know, if I would've known ahead of time, I would've posted where we were going! We would've loved to meet y'all! Hopefully we'll visit again soon now that we know it isn't too far :) Thank you!
~
Mrs. Henderson,
We thought about y'all the entire time! lol
We're definetely going to have to plan to get together sometime this summer :) Good to know we're not the only family who dresses "peculiarly" at home- I love it! ps) I'm currently working on a civil war 1850s dress..hopefully I'll post more about it soon :)
~
Miss Eyebright,
Yes, it was definetely a trip to remember...I was totally in my element! :) Thanks so much!!
~
Ms. Lori,
So good to hear from another who is old-fashioned as well! Thank you, I'm so glad you enjoy my blog..it's a delight to post about what we do and to connect with other families who are like-minded!! (I'll be sure to post as many pics as I can!)
~
In Christ,
Mia

Miss Julia said...

Hi Mia!

Happy birthday! Isn't it wonderful being 18? I just turned 18 this April and it is truly indescribable. :) I hope you had a very special birthday!

Love & Blessings,
Julia

Danman said...

Happy Belated Birthday, Ms. Mia!

God Bless!

Miss Jen said...

Dearest Mia,
What a lovely post indeed!
I am SO glad that you had a wonderful Birthday!!!
Ummmm..... that ice cream looks SO yummy!
That old cabin looks simply delightful indeed!
For my Birthday some dear friends gave me the book "Back to Basics".... it is wonderful and I am enjoying it's contents immensely! I love the part of "how to make your own log cabin" it is amazing!!! How wonderful that you got to go to an "Above Rubies Conference".... I love Above Rubies and praise God for Mrs.Campbell's ministry..... I am always ecstatic when I see it in the mail!!
Thank you for sharing dear friend!

Love Your Sister in Christ,
Jen

Kate said...

Happy Birthday! My daughter's first birthday was May 27th! She was actually due in June of last year, but I was so thrilled when she came in May, my favorite month!

God bless,

Kate Scott

Miss Emily said...

Oh boy! It sounds like you had a wonderful birthday! I loved seeing the pictures from the tour ya'll went on. Happy Birthday, and God bless!

Emily

Anonymous said...

I loved the pictures of the living history tour. If you ever get to Indiana, try to make a trip to Conner Prairie. You would love it.

I went to an Above Rubies retreat earlier this year, and I was so blessed by Nancy and her daughters as well as all of the other moms with a vision for motherhood.

Blessings,
Amanda

Michele said...

A very happy birthday to you, Mia! Thank you for taking us on your splendid birthday tour. And I hope you will post about the garden party!

Deanna said...

HAPPY
HAPPY
HAPPY
BIRTHDAY TO YOU
AND MANY MORE!!!!!!!

what a neat place to visit and celebrate your 18th birthday.

Thank you for sharing the pictures.
They are great.

~Deanna~

Briana said...

You probably don't know me personaly but I have been reading your blog for a while and I have found much encouragment. I was very exited to see that your birthday is the same as mine only you were born 4 years before me. Happy belated birthday! And thank you for sharing your life with us on you blog.

Grace said...

Oh, what beautiful femininity in those photos!

Gina Marcucci said...

Mia~
It's been two years since you wrote this blog, but I am just now readying it.
You sound like a daughter of the King, and what a blessing all of the pictures you included are.
I hope this finds you growing in the Lord, and in your journey as a young woman.
May you always be so wise, and able to see the world the way you did when you wrote the entry.
Much belated :) birthday blessings!
gina