Saturday, June 20, 2009

*~*An Old Fashioned Garden Party*~*

It turned out to be a beautiful day!
We woke up bright 'n early to start preparing for the party, and guests arrived around 11 am.
~

The Meal Table

The Menu was "Salads". We had a wonderful variety of Broccoli, Caesar, and Fruit salads, along with breads and Pomegranate Raspberry Juice as punch. I was excited to use my antique silverware and punch bowl set I purchased second-hand last month!

It was great to get out all my hats and gloves to display! One lady was able to wear one of the hats, since she didn't have one :)
~
My brother loves the "Beatrix potter/peter rabbit" episodes, which feature local village children in early 20th century attire. He put the outfit together himself from studying the boys' outfits!
~
Playing with the kittens (with Mama cat nearby, of course!)
It was so cute to see the children enjoying the kittens...an old-fashioned past-time :)
~

Beautiful Fellowship
~
I ended up dressing in an Edwardian style..This ankle-length gray skirt is the one I have been working on/stitching by hand (The historic frontier skirt pattern). It took a while, but I have to make-do or do-without! It's pretty thrifty..just a king sized sheet I bought second hand for $1. Fabric is so expensive now, I just like to use curtains/sheets..it works!
~

I've never seen a gift bag print like this, I thought it was beautiful!

Lovely young ladies...

We had my record player outside playing background music...It was great! The girls enjoyed picking out new records to play from my collection...30's, 40's and 50's of course..I love big band and classical!

~

Ok, Ok, I couldn't help myself but make an Old Fashioned Cream Cheese Pound Cake! (with homemade butter cream frosting) This was my Birthday Party/Graduation/For Old-Time's sake/Because It's oh, so good cake...lol!
Try it...just try it!
*3 sticks butter softened
*1 package cream cheese (8 oz) softened
*3 cups sugar
*6 eggs room temp.
*3 cups flour
*2 tsp vanilla
~ Bake in a 300 degree oven for 1.5 hours...ps) Don't rush by baking in a hotter oven! :) ~

My Dad cutting the cake...
~


The garden party was so special! We had a little under 20 guests, and it was wonderful to enjoy the late morning under the shade of our huge pecan tree!
We were blessed with perfect weather and an enjoyable breeze. I used antique books as weights for the tablecloths, which added a vintage touch :) Over lunch, photo's were passed around (of course the baby/childhood pictures!)and I shared about how I'm a TOTALLY different person than I was 5 years ago and what a privilege it is to be in a Godly home. The women shared their testimonies & advice on biblical womanhood, and I deeply appreciated their knowledge in preparation for whatever the Lord may bring into my life.
~

40 comments:

Jenna said...

It looks completely beautiful Mia! I'm glad everything turned out well, and thank you for sharing all the pictures:)

In Christ,
Jenna

p.s. I'm planning on trying that DELICIOUS looking cake!!

Holly said...

What a lovely day!! Thank you for including the cake recipe. I hope to try it soon. Holly

Stacie, A Firefighter's Wife said...

Breathtakingly beautiful. It looks like everyone enjoyed themselves. Thanks for sharing it with us!

Evening Shade Morning Latte said...

As always, I so enjoyed my time visiting with you at your blog.

Your garden party looked and sounded absolutely lovely!!! You are so creative and inspiring.

Have a wonderful remainder of the weekend.

Happy Father's Day to your Dad!

~Mrs. M

Aunt B said...

Mia,

Thank you for sharing your party with us! It is the kind of party, that we should have more of.

I love your hats. That is a great picture of you, with your hat and flowers, you are truly a beautiful young lady. Your heavenly Father must be very pleased with you.

God bless you,
Aunt B

Julian said...

lovely, lovely lovely Mia! THANKYOU for sharing. What a lovely birthday party you had, with very pretty dressed girls, most of all , yourself. How I love the picture of you at the end! (please send me one to frame) I am working on family pictures. This week we are not all together, but I will e mail you individual pictures ok?
Wish I could of been there for your special day. God bless you my dear friend.
Christina

Kelsey Anne Hoppman said...

Happy Birthday Mia! I'm glad you enjoyed your garden party.
God Bless,
Kelsey

Ashley said...

Everything looks lovely! What a wonderful time you must have had. And how blessed all the guest's were, I'm sure! Thank you for sharing photos with us!

In Christ Alone,
Ashley

Stone Bridge Farm said...

Mia,
I am so happy for you! What a wonderful day you had!!! And I loved that everone dressed on old fashioned atire.

I will be tring your cake, it looks just delicious.

I think the sepia pic at the end is very nice and looks like it came out of an antique photo album.

Have a Blessed Day!

Anonymous said...

How Lovely! A Garden party for a beautiful young lady! Just fits you Mia!
Mi, I must ask you, where did you find that lovely blouse you are wearing in the last photo? Did you make it? I absolutely love it!
Thank-you so much fro letting me "peek" into your life. I so enjoy your blog!
Happy Birthday Mia!
You are truly God's gift to us all!
Rhonda from Minnesota

Anonymous said...

I came across your blog recently and fell in love with it. You are a beautiful young lady that will inspire many. I look forward to reading more of your post. This one was beautiful. Blessings to you and yours..........Kitty
http://www.homesteadblogger.com/kitskorn/

Amy said...

What a lovely party you had!

Gotta try that cake recipe!

dukygurl said...

it was a lovely post, and the cake! wow! I will try it very soon thank you and Happy Birthday!

Trish

Lisa Gentry said...

It looks like you had a beautiful party Mia! The pictures are very nice!

Elizabeth said...

It was a wonderful party Mia! I enjoyed it very much and God even provided a wonderful breeze. The party was very unique, just like you!

Miss Jen said...

Lovely...Mia
it looks like you had
a wonderful time!
I am SO happy for you!!
That cake looks like a winner too.

Blessings~ Jen

Miss Julia said...

The party looks beautiful, Mia!

I will have to try that cake recipe. :)

Blessings!
Julia

Goose Hill Farm said...

What a lovely party, Mia. Everyone looked so wonderful in their old fashioned dress.

Thank you for inclucing the recipe to your beautiful cake. I can't wait to try it!

Blessings, birthday girl~
Laura

hausmutti said...

You seem to be such a beautiful young lady, inside and out.

patti

Lindsay said...

Oh, Mia, it looks like you had a lovely garden party. I so enjoyed looking at all of your beautiful pictures. And, like everyone else, I will have to try that cake recipe soon! :)

~ Love in Christ,
Lindsay

Blodgett said...

What a blessing to be raised by such godly parents and to live in such a beautiful place!!! You seem to be such a lovely young lady! I am a homeschooling mom with three sons and a daughter. My little lady is 10 years old. I hope and pray she is as graceful and thoughtful as you seem to be when she turns 18. Happy birthday!
In Christ~
Mrs. Blodgett
(New Mexico)

Molly @ Star Cottage said...

Miss Mia, You are such an amazing girl. You and your family are truly inspirational! What a lovely party and you all did a great job setting it up.
Blessings,
Molly

lady m's lavender cottage said...

Dear Mia,

Happy Birthday! The Lord bless you with a beautiful day!

The table, the food, the desserts...just lovely.

lady m

ps: I have to try that recipe for a garden tea party in July - thanks for sharing. ;)

Together We Save said...

Wow - that must have been so amazing. Great pictures. Thanks for sharing.

family tree said...

I enjoy reading your posts!

Amber said...

That is a wonderful idea. Looks like it was a lovely time! I think this would be a great thing for me to do for our youth girls at church. I love how you had the guests share their thoughts on Biblical womanhood. I am actually helping with a purity/modesty class for the youth girls at church right now and this sounds like it would be a lovely idea for that class.

God bless!

Kate said...

What beautiful pictures! Love that Edwardian blouse!
=)

Joyful@JoyfulJourney said...

Hi Mia,
Just dropping by to say `Hello`.
Your blog is always a blessing.
Thanks for sharing.

Joyful@JoyfulJourney
apudiem.com

Mia said...

I loved reading all your thoughtful comments!! Y'all are so sweet! :)
~
Ms. Rhonda (from MN)
I didn't make the blouse, it was bought secondhand :) I'm so glad you enjoyed the pictures!

In Christ,
Mia

Kimberly said...

How lovely!
I love seeing you live out your life. Truly wonderful.

Caeseria said...

Everything looks so beautiful!! I love your Edwardian outfit, and your brother's - I love the suspenders look on boys. Clothes used to be so flattering long ago...
That just looks like the perfect afternoon! Like something out of a picture book!

Mrs. Bridget G. said...

Aww, what a blissful day.

Jenna said...

You had a lovely day! I felt like I was there. : ) Thank you for sharing such lovely pictures.

I'm going to try your cake recipe. It looks delicious, especially with berries from the garden.

Dayna said...

Mia, you're so beautiful -- inside and out! What a remarkable ambassador for Christ you are!

Lucy said...

happy birthday.It looks like you had a lovely day.There is a girl with her back turned to the photographer, her hair is plaited and in a bun.I wonder how she did that.

Theresa said...

What a lovely party. Your photographs are great and I thoroughly enjoyed it vicariously. Your outfit is just GORGEOUS and you are a beautiful young woman! Praise God for the gift of your sewing machine. I can't wait to see your dress when you are through.

...they call me mommy... said...

How lovely!!! I am new to your blog and just LOVE it!!! Your party was so delightful! Thanks for sharing pictures with us!

Blessings!
Amy

Growing In Grace Magazine said...

Oh, how exciting!

~Lady Jess

Anonymous said...

Congratulations, Mia! I am homeschooling my 2 daughters and you've given me some ideas on how to celebrate when they graduate.
God's Blesings on you, my dear!
Patty

Ginny said...

Mia,
What a delightful Christian,young woman. I delight in reading your blog. My husband introduced me to your blog and we both enjoy it. The recipes are great.
ginny