Monday, July 27, 2009

Being set apart: True Ladies and Gentlemen


I desired to write a post on ladies and gentlemen, manners, charm, and how it feels like the whole lot must be going extinct! lol

But then I realized that when I thought of them, I was wishing a "character trait" on the those who lacked character, and the art of gentility on those who knew not of it! To be a true lady (or gentleman), it has to start from the inside, and then it will be evident in what you do and how you relate to others. This is something that I've been studying (and has challenged me!) and I'd like to share with you a few thoughts.
~

A positive attitude is contagious....and often rare with young people. I've observed the spirit of discontentment, tiredness, and being busy in conversation..an excuse for any and everything.
Let us rise above!


Gentleman: 'Man of keen sense of honour and chivalry, of refined instincts; man who shows courtesy and consideration for feeling of others.' Webster Dictionary 1867
"Likewise, exhort the young men to be sober-minded, in all things showing yourself to be a pattern of good works; in doctrine showing integrity, reverence, incorruptibility, sound speech that cannot be condemned, that one who is an opponent may be ashamed, having nothing evil to say of you." Titus 2:6-8
~

Lady: 'A woman who, apart from her birth, has good manners and a kind, generous, and honourable character.' Webster Dictionary 1867
"That they admonish the young women to love their husbands, to love their children, to be discreet, chaste, homemakers, good, obedient to their own husbands, that the word of God may not be blasphemed." Titus 2:4-5 (also read Proverbs 31)


It is because of these reflections that I've become more aware of how refreshing it is to see chivalry in "modern-day knights" and modesty in "stay at home daughters". Stay true, even though the world laughs and ridicules, the Lord rejoices and blesses.

If you have any comments or testimonies, please share!


ps) Thank you for the comments on my sewing project! I'm still working on my 1860s dress, but I'm taking my time :) I'll reveal it at the end of Summer!

23 comments:

Regan Family Farm said...

Thanks, Mia! I posted on manners and courtesy too! There can never be enough teaching and encouragement on this subject!
Blessings!

Rachel said...

I just wanted to say I agree, but also that it does make a difference! I teach knit/crochet classes to a 13 yr. old girl, and she wears pants and is a tomboy. I noticed soon after starting these classes that she began to wear dresses ans such to class each week. Well, I was encouraged, but just assumed that she was doing it because I was (peer pressure). But her mom recently sent me an email saying that she this young lady has been changing and been wearing the dresses even when going elsewhere and at home! =:) I was just so encouraged by this! So my point is, don't give up in trying to be more godly of a young woman and more a true lady! =:D

Blessings!
~Rachel~

Clara Van Nattan said...

Sadly even those who are gentlemen and ladies on the surface don't seem to be able to keep it up all the time. Bad manners seem to have become such a habit... either it's a foul mouth (foul speech) or nasty jokes or some other thing that always seems to mark people these days. There used to be a time you could at least depend on older people to act modestly and to speak nicely, but now most older people swear or just forget their manners and courtesy :( I am trying to raise my children to be a lady and gentleman, but it feels like one is pushing against the current... It really isn't easy!

McKenzie Elizabeth said...

Hello Mia!
Well said! I pray that the poor manners that I observe in society are never evident in my own life.

There is nothing more refreshing than to see a woman or man that has good manners.

Many Blessings,
McKenzie Elizabeth

Lucy said...

I notice with Japanese friends, that the still pay heed to such standards. Walking one day in the rain with a male Japanese friend, he insisted in carrying the umbrella, holding doors open for me and in walking beside the road so that I would not get splashed by the cars!!

Miss Eyebright said...

What an absolutely inspiring post! Truly, you have hit the mark exactly. I desire to be known as a lady, but I think I need to work on it a whole lot more before I can acquire that lovely title.

Have a very bright, very cheerful day!
Miss Eyebright
http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/eyebright

Anonymous said...

Another excellent topic Mia!

I always enjoy reading what you have to say!
Have a wonderful week!
Many blessings to you and your family.
In Christ,
Rhonda From Northern Minnesota

Nadine said...

I absolutely love your site!!!!
Hi Mia...my name is Nadine...I am a mom to many children...
You truly inspire me...
Since I was very little I have loved all things old...the dresses...the way of life...everything...
Thanks for being an inspiration and for this great blog...

Nadine

Andylynne said...

I just discoverd your blog, what a treat. Thank you for your insights. It's heart warming to see someone with your depth of feelings. Thank you for the treat for my soul.

Anonymous said...

You inspire me to think about such things..must ask the Lord to help refine my instincts....You are a blessing my Daughter.
Dad

Miss Jen said...

Lady Mia...
Indeed.... what a lovely post!

Blessings~ Miss Jen

Aunt B said...

Mia
I enjoy your blog so very much.

Don't change.

Aunt. B

Mieke said...

What a beautiful, beautiful blog you have, I love the pictures, the dresses, the words you write.

Mia said...

Thank you for the wonderful comments!! I'm still learning, but this has been a subject that's been on my heart for a while :)

Your dear friend,
Mia

Tabby's Alley said...

Bravo, Mia!
I only recently started reading your blog - my Mom has been following for quite awhile! I just wanted to say that it is so nice to see a person my age who truly wants to serve God in every aspect of her life, and who is not afraid to state her opinions and concerns. It is a huge encouragment to me!

dukygurl said...

Mia,

I think this is a very important subject. I have found as a stay at home wife, and homeschool mother that there are many people who will reject but also many more who encourage and appreciate a close knit family, a well kept home, and sweet spirit.
I have seen women look on me with pity when I talk about a "traditional" female role even though they are christians and it is clearly in the bible how women should and men should behave and what is good and right for us. I read and recite Proverbs 31 -- to my girls, "Charm is decietful and beauty fades, but a woman who fears the lord is to be praised. "

It is not easy to raise children to be lambs in a world full of wolves. I feel strongly that my girls learn to be wise, and careful.

Trish

The Pleasures of Homemaking said...

Hi Mia,

I came over from Rhonda's Down to Earth blog. This is such a interesting topic and I couldn't ageee more. BTW I homeschooled my daughter for many years and it was such a wonderful time in both our lives.

I'm going to read through some of your other posts now but I just wanted to say hello!

Manuela

MJS said...

We very much so need good manners. After seeing they way others eat in resterants, manners classes for some people may not be a bad idea.

~ Judy ~ said...

God has blessed you Mia...with a gift to share His love and inspire others to want to follow in His ways.
The comment from your Dad made me cry...so beautiful...his love for your BURST forth through his words.

Anonymous said...

Great post. I have watched many a parent "teach" their child manners, by rudely pointing out when they have not used them. Sadly what they wind up teaching the child is rudeness. It is much better I have found to model manners.

Shelley

Celestial Charms said...

Lovely, inspiring post. You have a gift for expressing your thoughts very clearly. Beautiful photographs too!

Lucy said...

Thank you Mia and thanks for stopping by at my place,

Lucy

HIS daughter said...

I love the 1st picture! That is really interesting what you said about a positive attitude! Thanks so much for the reminder to rise above!