Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Summer-time Sewing

The summer has been beautiful, hasn't it? We're enjoying life out here in the country... Eating all of our meals on the front porch has been great! Not only do we have fun waving at the neighbors, but good discussions and laughter are always there. The weather's turning hot though...Yesterday it was 78 degrees at 9:30 am! So mid-day and the afternoon are usually spent in indoor activities :)
~
My brother was creative and made a backpack himself! I was amazed! He hand sewed the fabric together, and made straps for the front..Now he's off to his "camp" in the woods!
~
His stitches :)
~

SecondHand Treasure: A Sewing Machine!

Last week we were shopping in one of our "usual" thrift stores, and the cashier asked if I made my skirt myself. I told her that I've been stitching by hand, and she was amazed/horrified!
She told me she had an extra sewing machine that she wasn't using and that I could have it! A few days later, we stopped by, and she had it waiting for me! I'm so excited--now I can start on my dress!
~
I started my "sewing project" today..


My pattern (I bought from Etsy)
Simplicity #4551 (I think it may be discontinued or not as popular)
~

9 yds of Osnaburg cotton
I purchased this from: http://www.periodfabric.com/
~
I washed/pre-shrunk the fabric, then hung it on the line to dry! It was fun to have over 25 ft. of material on the line! It was so hot outside, it dried in 20 minutes :)
Ah, the smell and feel of crisp linen!
~
I brought it inside, and started the task set before me--ironing! It was a little challenging, but I had my record player on, and was wearing my 50's style dress, so that helped to pass the time :)
~
I cut out most of the pieces for the bodice, and the 4 large panels for the skirt. Tomorrow I'll continue and hopefully use my "new" sewing machine!

21 comments:

Kelsey Anne Hoppman said...

Wow, a sewing machine! What a great treasure! It's so wonderful to know the skills of sewing.

Vicki said...

Awesome...sweetie! Glad you are utilizing your time well.

Love ya!

Lindsay said...

Oh, that's great how you got a sewing machine, Mia! It looks really nice. :) I can't wait to see your dress when it's finished!

~ Love in Christ,
Lindsay

Jenna said...

Hi Mia,
We have the same pattern that you're making your new dress out of:) Someday I'll make one too!

Blessings,
Jenna

Madison said...

Sounds like you've been having a wonderful summer! =)
Oh wow, the sewing machine is so neat! And I love the pattern you're using! Looks like it will be beautiful. =)

~Madison

Goose Hill Farm said...

Wasn't that so sweet of that nice lady to give you her extra machine! I am so glad to hear that there are still people around that do nice things for others. That tends to be very rare now in our society.

I love your pattern and the material you have picked out. Good luck with your dress and HAVE FUN with your new machine!

Blessings~
Laura

Julian said...

talk about hot! It was 105 here yesterday! Wow, a sewing machinf? Isnt God good? Even answers thrift store prayers! You look sweet in the ironing outfit. Girl, you take on way too major projects! You have the talent! Your brother is picking it up. Good for him!
Happy day!
Christina

Stone Bridge Farm said...

Oh, I cannot wait to see the dress finished. And I LOVE the dress you are wearing!!! I love old fashioned things, but my favorite period is the 50's!

dukygurl said...

I love it! I want to learn to sew! What an awesome skill/talent!

Kate said...

Summer has been horrible here. Cold, dark, rainy. It's affecting our health. I'm making the most of it, though.

Love your pictures!

Danman said...

Wow, what a blessing that sewing machine is. All good and perfect gifts come down from the Father of heavenly lights!

Elizabeth said...

How good is God that He provides our wants as well as our needs?? Rejoicing with you about your new sewing machine!! Oh, and I think the worst part of sewing is ironing new fabric after it has been washed! Especially 100% cotton!!

Ashley said...

That is really cool! You definitely have to put pictures of that dress when you are done. It is going to be beautiful. I am going to make a few aprons and a dress sometime this August.

Miss Jen said...

Simply Lovely, Mia! *happy sigh*
Sewing is ever so delightful isn't it?

Many Blessings~ Jen

Tara said...

Wow! How inspiring! Thank you.
Blessings, Tara and Kelly

Monica said...

I know you do not know me, but you absolutely inspire me; and I so delight in reading your blog. I wish my daughter had love and intereste for the same (because I do), but she is a more "modern" girl. One of the many things I love about our Lord, Jesus Christ is that he loves us so much, just like a daddy, that he blesses us even with the secret desires of our hearts. He blessed me recently with a Nutrimill, which I have been longing for for a couple of years now. He's answered many of my secret desires - He is our Abba Father just eager to bless us just to see the smile, delight on our faces.
May he bless the work of your hands,
Monica Fermoyle

Lucy said...

I adore your dress.

Anonymous said...

Just want to say how beautiful your photographs are! I want to come to your house!!
Ami

Growing In Grace Magazine said...

Oh, what a nice lady. Just gave it to you? How wonderful is that?!

Oh, I've always wanted to learn how to sew, but never really had the time/space/...patience??

Well, you certainly have a talent for sewing! Looks like your passion has passed on to your brother as well, lol.

~Lady Jess

ann from ky said...

Hi!
So happy for you all you have finally made it to the country!! It is such a blessing!! I have lived in the country for 20 years and would never go back to "town" life!!
Congrats on the sewing machine!! As an experienced sewer, may I suggest getting the plate under the foot/needle off and dusting/vacuuming the yuch out. You may also want to purchase SEWING MACHINE OIL or something called Tri-flow oil (has teflon in it) and put a drop (like 1 or 2) at each place where it pivots. You can also take the top off and do the same thing.
Also, you need to get some new needles. They recommend a new needle with each sewing project. I get mine in bulk (25 at a time) from Newark Dressmaking (Newark Dressmaker Sply (800) 736-6783) or the sister company Home sew. I get the Organ needles and they have worked well for me. they both will send you a catalog. One sells the Organ needles and one doesn't.
Another tip-the cheap Walmart Excello thread on the machine is junk. Favorite thread is Mettler Metrosene,(Hancock's Fabrics) gutterman (Joann Fabrics) and then coats & Clark. My friend made a dress for her daughter with the cheapo thread and ironed it. It all melted and she had to redo the seams. The machine will work better with some oil, a new needle and good thread. I use coupons and special sales to buy my thread.
happy sewing!! I really enjoy my machine!! I mean MachineS!! Ann from KY

Barbara Anne said...

I have been working on that pattern recently! I finished the bodice and so now all I have to do is the skirt. I picked a blue flower print for my dress but I love the white! Oh I can't wait to see more pictures!
My blog is http://asithome.blogspot.com/ you might be interested in some of my posts. I love history also.