Monday, August 31, 2009

Finding beauty in Everyday...

The greenhouse was moved a few months ago, and now it sits at the edge of the woods.
It's about 2-3 ft below ground-level, so that's why it looks smaller. This site is where the original root cellar was located. We just made the pit larger to place the greenhouse inside.
~
My adventurous "follower"
~

In front of the greenhouse

~

We decided to try to bike to the corner store (in the middle of nowhere!) about 6 miles away. My brother wore his backpack {for "purchases"} and I brought along my camera!

The sights along the way...
~

When we arrived at the store, we purchased drinks, snacks, and...carpenter nails. lol They're sold at an excellent price, so of course Dad bought a few lbs. It was a great ride back, and as usual, we enjoyed the landscape.

~

A lovely weekend


While the "men" hosted a campout on the property, my mother, sister and I stayed at a friends home for a fun weekend for ladies only!

I brought old-fashioned clothing so that we could all dress up!

Many of the dresses that are too small for me fit this young lady perfectly. We all talked, watched movies, played dominoes and generally just stayed up late laughing!

After breakfast, we took out our curlers, got all dressed up and went 'on the town'!

We went through old neighborhoods, stopped a thrift shop and a few antique stores!

Hats 'n aprons

A cottage converted into an antique shop...

The "highlight" of the day:

We went to a beautiful tea-room for lunch! When we arrived, the owner asked us why we were all dressed up and where we were from...I told him, "This is how we dress everyday" He loved it! Later I whispered to Mom, "Dressed up? I'm not even wearing a hat!"

The atmosphere was extraordinary. Aprons on the wall, wicker furniture, and simple touches...It really made it special! The food was delicious, and the owner came by again and took a few photos of us which was nice. After stopping at one last antique shop, we headed back to the house.



It was so hard to leave! We all had a lovely time, and when we arrived home it was wonderful to exchange stories--My Dad and brother told us all the adventures all the guys were up to while we were gone!
~
Cottage Garden

While I was up waayy too late on the computer, Dad walked in and said I was to help him put in the transplants he saved from the urban garden at our old house. Although I reminded him that it was the middle of the night and I was *just* about to go to bed...we proceeded anyway! lol

~

Ever heard of a midnight planting? Neither have I, but I'm really glad I helped. It was nice to spend time together, and it all payed off! The collards are doing well, and so hopefully they'll make it!


Here's another photo of our new addition, as requested!
And laundry continues... :)

A walk into the woods...


Tried my hand at drawing..don't laugh! A portrait of a woman preparing supper. It's not "quite" a self portrait, but the frizzy hair is a fact! lol
~

My regency Sister...

"Whilst August yet wears her golden crown,
Ripening fields lush- bright with promise;
Summer waxes long, then wanes, quietly passing
Her fading green glory on to riotous Autumn."
-- Michelle L. Thieme

21 comments:

Jenna said...

Lovely pictures! It looks like you had a beautiful summer...cute new addition:) I LOVE labs!

~Jenna

Kathy said...

What a charming post...Beautifully done and I love your music, xoxo~Kathy@ Sweet Up-North Mornings...

Keeper of our Home said...

I have to say, I always look forward to your posts. You have such a sweet spirit about everything you write and do. after a long and daunting day, it is so refreshing to come and read for a bit and be renewed with a sense of graciousness as I visit and share the moments of your family life. Thank you for sharing in a way that just lifts the spirit and rejuvenates the senses.

~Mrs. M

Miss Jen said...

Awww.... what beauty!
Antique Stores are SO delightful and
I just can't get over your sister's lovely bonnet, dress and shawl!!
You know me I am a BIG regency fan.
*happy sigh*

Love Always
Your Sister in Christ~ Jen

The Pleasures of Homemaking said...

I always look forward to reading your posts! You new puppy looks sweet and your photos are beautiful!

Manuela

lorij said...

I love your blog. I really enjoy all your beautiful photos. I love the regency dress and the bonnet your sister has on! So pretty. I hope you have a blessed day!
LJ

Emily said...

It sounds like a lovely weekend! I so enjoy all your photos ~ you are quite the artist! I enjoyed my visit on your blog today! :)

Kelsey Anne Hoppman said...

Thank-you for taking the time to show some pictures! I loved them all.
It seems you have alot of really fun, old-fashioned shops where you live!
God Bless.

In Christ Alone,

Kelsey

Julian said...

love the long post! Im writing you a letter, so patitnce!
love,
Christina

ladyscott said...

I can hardly wait for my daughter to get a little older so we can go on "lady trips" to tea shoppes and antique stores, etc!

Keep sketching, my dear. It is a wonderful hobby to just relax and enjoy. I used to sketch all the time. I still do every so often, though I'm a bit out of practice.

Ever enjoying your blog.

aemi said...

That's beautiful country! So lush and green (compared to Texas:). I liked the part about the sleepover and tea. My sisters and I recently spent the week visiting friends in Tennessee. We did almost the same things you did!
I like your drawing, it's pretty good. I like to draw, too. <><

kimberly in idaho said...

Dear Mia, I pray God will give my daughter a heart like yours when she is older. I have read you blog for sometime now and enjoy it so much. I think your pictures are always so wonderful By the way, your sketch is quite good!

Wendy said...

Lovely pictures, and yes, laundry does continue (and continue!)

Lisa said...

Beautiful!! The country life is the best!

Lisa Q

Shelley said...

Hi Mia,yet another wonderful post which I am so blessed by. Thanks so much for sharing,Sweetie.

Blessings upon Blessings

Becky said...

Hey,
I loved your post!
BTW: where do you get your pictures from?

Thank you in advance,
Mariah

The Sisters said...

Hello Mia-
What a lovely post to read and look at! You take beautiful pictures!
Have a wonderful and blessed day,

~Lydia Caroline~

Simply Vintagegirl said...

It looks like you had a lovely time! Your photos are simply charming!

Love,
Emily Rose

dukygurl said...

I think your sketch is a fine one and you should do more of it! I love the photos!

Megan said...

Your drawing is definitely WAY better than what I could do!
I love the period clothing you & your family wear! My sisters and I love to dress in period clothing too!

I love your sister's Regency bonnet!

Lisa said...

I've been reading your blog and loving every bit of it! You have such great ideas and the pictures are such a treat. Ever since I can remember, I have always wanted to live simple and old fashioned. Your blog is definitely aspiring! I really liked the photo of where you planted the collards at night. Looks like something that I would do too. Keep up the great blogging and may God bless you!