Monday, August 24, 2009

School Lessons

Last week, my Mother had us (my sister and I) go through my brothers lessons and pick out what subjects we wanted to teach. We went to the library and chose a few books we wanted to use. I decided on Nature/Bird studies.
~

~

He decided to start with "Birds of prey". Using the book we covered Comprehension, Copy work and reading. I took out the measuring tape so he could visualize and measure wingspan etc. which worked great! This is the only subject I'm teaching (along with photography), my sister is covering music & bible memory, and my Mom teaches Math using McGuffy reader along with writing.
~

Speaking of Schoolwork...

We recently had a Living History event focusing on a 19th century schoolroom. The scenario: A private tutor was hired to teach the family's children, along with the house servant's children as well.
~
On the front porch
Enjoying homemade biscuits and cold bacon at Lunchtime...
~

My brother using walnut hull ink to write the alphabet
~

Mrs. Cogswell, the schoolmasters wife
~

My sister, already finished with her assignment...
~

Our Schoolmaster, Mr. Cogswell
He handmade this abacus in the above photo
~
We had a great time! When one of the boys was caught "teaching" my brother how to gamble with dice during lunchtime, he had to endure the punishment of writing Psalm 23 one hundred times! The bible used was authentic and from the 1800s.
~

A Reminder...
The Old-Fashioned picnic my family is hosting is coming up soon!
It's September 19th @ 11-3pm
I really hope you can attend!
Dressing in old-fashioned attire is appreciated! (optional)
If you can come, *please* email me with the following info:
Name:___________
How many attending:_________
What city/state you're from:__________
melodytoharmony (at) Gmail.com
~
This information we need so that we know exactly how many to prepare for :)
If you have any questions, let me know!

11 comments:

Kelsey Anne Hoppman said...

School planning is always so fun! I'm looking foward to our new school year. :)

In Christ Alone,

Kelsey

Emily said...

How lovely! I think it would be so delightful to step back in time and relive what school was like back then. I went to see Laura Ingalls Wilder's school rooms in South Dakota last year and that was really neat!

I wish we lived closer, for I would love to join you on your picnic!!

Have a blessed and beautiful day!

Rachel said...

Oh, I just love your method of schooling! It looks like so much fun! =:D

I love doing living history stuff like that. Don't you just love those old huge scissors on the desk there?! =:D

I wish we could go to your picnic, but we live faaaarrr away, so that's out of the question. But I hope you all enjoy your time! I can't wait to see all the pictures of it! =:)

Blessings!
~Rachel~

Andylynne said...

I really like the idea of the living history school event. I admire the effort you and your family put in to education, and dedication to God. Keep up the wonderful blog. It's nice to drop by and check in.

ladyscott said...

I went the The Farmer's Museum in Cooperstown, NY and so wanted to teach my son in the schoolhouse. Where I grew up, we lived kitty-corner to the old schoolhouse which had been converted to a residence. Where I live in my little cottage right across the street is the old brick schoolhouse. My neighbor owns it and uses it for storage. The old chalkboards and desks are still in there. The piano was smashed to smithereens last year after racoons made a home in it and destroyed it. He gave the old schoolbooks to me, though and will probably let me have some of the old desks for when I homeschool. I wish wish wish I had the money to restore it and actually use it! For now, I can admire it from my living room window.

Maellen Blodgett said...

I am afraid it is too far to travel from New Mexico for your picnic - but what FUN!
I love the idea of you teaching your younger brother a subject in school - great training for when you are a mama!

The Road Less Traveled said...

Shalom Mia~
I love your blog so much I just gave you an award.

You can pick it up here http://learningthrulapbooks.blogspot.com/search/label/awards

YahChna in TN

Miss Jen said...

Lovely... isn't learning wonderful?!
I so hope your picnic goes well...
how I wish I could be there! :)
Praying and hoping you have a
simply splendid time, Mia!

Love~ Miss Jen

Mia said...

Thank you for the lovely comments!!

LadyScott,
Oh my, that is like a dream! To have an old schoolhouse with the original furnishings inside..how wonderful! I'm sure the schoolbooks are really nice to have! Thanks for telling me about your neighboring schoolhouse, I wish I could come by and explore!
~
The road less traveled,
Shalom, Ms.YahChna!
Thank you so much for the award!! That's so nice :)

In Christ,
Mia

Stephen Orr said...

The photo of your brother writing with walnut hull ink prompted me to glance out into our woodlot, where pokeweed is running rampant. Did you know that the fermented juice of pokeberries makes a very serviceable ink? In fact, the Declaration of Independence was written using pokeberry juice instead of regular ink.

~ Judy ~ said...

Mia, although we live too far away to attend your lovely event (and be assured we would be there "with bells on" if we could!!!)...I wanted you to know that on the 19th our family will be having our annual RACE DAY in our field! Families bring a picnic supper and we enjoy good old fashioned foot races and fellowship! The grand finale of the event is "The Daddy's Race" at the end of the day! So even though we can't be with you in person...we will be with you in spirit as we enjoy a good old fashioned gathering here at home! God bless you!