Thursday, September 3, 2009

Words of Wisdom


"I thought, 'Age should speak; advanced years should teach wisdom." Job 32:7

As I think back on it, it has really been a blessing to have been exposed to the company of older, more vintage adults. I can truly see the value of just listening. Asking questions. Being observant and genuine.
~

As I reflect back on it, there was a time when age-segregation was very appealing to me, and much preferred. Not desiring wisdom from the older generation at all.

This was my foolish worldview {before Christ}. My first year of Homeschooling, my family became friends with an elderly widow next door, who often invited us in for tea and to "chat". Well it would last for HOURS. Although it was hard to sit still for so long at first, over time it really trained me to listen and become interested in "bygone days".
~

(Now that I think about it....she had a hope-chest!
I regret I never asked her about it.....)

I love this picture, because it's so encouraging to see vintage couples who have been married for decades and trust in the Lord with all their heart. The blessings of Godly wisdom they've learned from over the years...

Recently we were over at a family's home, and after dinner all the parents went into the parlor to talk. I sat in with them, and it was an absolute blessing to just be able to hear about different topics discussed, as they searched the scriptures and shared on different life experiences. Just to sit and listen was great.
~

I know this was different, but recently it was on my heart to do a topic on this :) It may seem like it has nothing to do with homemaking/marriage/self sufficiency/waiting on the Lord, but the more I thought on it....

Isn't Godly wisdom needed in all aspects of life? So many skills can be taught and much wisdom bestowed upon us from the older generation!

"For wisdom is better than rubies; and all the things that may be desired are not to be compared to it." Proverbs 8:11

"When wisdom entereth into thine heart, and knowledge is pleasant unto thy soul;
Discretion shall preserve thee, understanding shall keep thee." Proverbs 9:10-11

"How much better is it to get wisdom than gold! and to get understanding rather to be chosen than silver!" Proverbs 16:16

The reason this really excites me is because worldly wisdom is everywhere! This scripture is so true: "For the wisdom of this world is foolishness with God" 1 Cor. 3:19 I have many relatives who have only known 'the wisdom of the world' and live by it. So it's refreshing to be among those who are desiring wisdom and understanding!

What words of Godly advice/wisdom given to you has impacted you most? I do hope you'll share!!

18 comments:

Kelsey Anne Hoppman said...

Amen! Youth should try to seek the wisdom of the elderly.
Wonderful post Mia!

Blessings,

Kelsey

aemi said...

I don't seek the counsel of old people nearly as much as I should. I know they have a lot to give...
I think it is so sweet when I see an old couple, who are apparently still in love. You know, the husband pushing his wife in her wheelchair, still taking care of her. I love to see that. <><

Thandi said...

Kindred spirit-I used to wish so much that I could dress this way!! Yes, the wisdom of this world is folly, how sad that (in general)the youth of today don't value the wisdom that comes with age nor wisdom from above.

Shelley said...

Another wonderful post....I am getting on in my years now and pray I can pass much wisdom to the younger woman in my life. As a young woman myself and even now I love sitting around the feet of my elders and soaking up all their life stories and words of wisdom.
You my dear,seem to have been blessed with wisdom beyond your years.....thanks for sharing it....
Have a very blessed Lord's day.

ant_sheila@yahoo.com said...

Right now it is Psalms 8. In the weeks prior to my Dad's passing, the Lord ministered to me with this --- He was preparing me for what was to come. We must "be still, and know he is God."

Miss Jen said...

Amen!! :)
So... true, Mia!

Love~ Jen

Rachel said...

Ah, yes, thank you for sharing that! What an excellent reminder Mia! :)

I love to visit with the elderly in our church. I know that it blesses them to be able to share their stories and talk to the younger generation and feel that they are loved and appreciated. :D But it blesses me as well because I gain so much knowledge and wisdom from them. They have so much to share about how the Lord has used them and the ways that they didn't listen to God and sinned because of it and we can learn from that! Learn from their mistakes and from their times of joy! :)

Blessings to you Mia!
~Rachel~

jwcreath@gmail.com said...

I wish more of the mature generation would realize their responsibility to the younger! There is much to gain from older Godly wisdom but from the right source!
Thanks for posting this, but felt a need for a disclaimer.

Mrs. Creath

dukygurl said...

Honestly I love the elderly, I was raised by my grandparents and have always appreciated listening to stories and thinking of what life must have been like 50-100 years ago. When I was young and unmarried I worked in a Christian nursing facility and little by little I realized these "vintage" strangers were passing on into glory...and that the world was losing those who lived history, the great depression, wars, and ways of life just went with them...they were so dear to me. I learned somethings that can't even really be expressed in words...they lived honor, dignity, compassion...and that character they had, you just don't find it commonly anymore.

Trish

Thank you for posting this it reminded me of something very special.

taighbeag said...

I've always been more comfortable around people older than me. I just never really fit in with my peers. Even now at 28, many of my dear friends are old enough to be my parents or grandparents!

I can't recall any specific words of wisdom given to me from my elders, but I do appreciate the actions of my grandmother. She is such an inspiration of Godly, graceful living in my life.

remnant reminscences said...

inspiring...as always!!

Anonymous said...

Wonderful topic Mia!
There is such a wealth of information from the elderly! I learn all I can from my lovely neighbors, my Mum,and the elderly church members.
Many blessings to you and your family.
In Christ,
Rhonda from Northern Minnesota

patricialuann said...

And how wonderful you have gradually grown in your wisdom listening to "vintage" company. You are such a lovely young girl...
Patricia

~ Judy ~ said...

My grandfather lived to be 106...I LOVED merely to be in his presence!
It didn't even matter to me if he was speaking...I just LOVED to sit at his feet and drink in the wonder of him! He always used to say "Make a dime, save a nickel"! I love the words of St Francis De Sales: "Do not wish to be anything other than what you are...and try to be that perfectly".

Julie said...

Two things I remember being taught most before marriage, as a new bride, and a new mother.
Always make your husband a priority. Even over your children. One day it will be just you and him again and you don't want to be staring at a stranger. :)
The second thing was raise your children from birth with a whole picture view. What is cute as a three year old will not necessarily be cute when they are 12, 16, or 30.

Great post!

Ouiz said...

I saw that picture in Martha Stewart's magazine, and I loved it so much I clipped it out and hung it up in my home.

It makes me smile -- to see two older people, who obviously have so little by way of material things, so incredibly happy with each other.

Summer :) said...

Isaiah 55:8-12 :) I love "led forth by peace". What a beautiful picture. :)

Rhonda Jean said...

Hello Mia, I have been an infrequent visitor to your blog for a while now but this is my first comment.

I think you're a lovely girl. Your warmth and sincerity come through your words. I am getting on a bit and I get a lot of pleasure from sharing what I know with others who want to learn. I feel like I'm an elder now and it is my duty to teach when I see the need and the inclination to learn.

Come and visit my blog when you have a few spare minutes. I think you'll like it.