Sunday, October 4, 2009

A beautiful day

On Saturday morning, we woke up early to go to yard sales..We went through a few small towns, and we were amazed at the multitude of locals who set up their tables with treasures to sell (They set up at gas stations, shopping centers etc.) ..It actually looked very much like the above photo, except there were cars :) It was very busy!

My Finds:
I bought this collection of 4 old-fashioned dress figurines,
2 purses and 2 treasure boxes for $0.25 each!
~
At one of the gas station set-ups (lol) I spotted this beautiful box and asked the price..I was told $0.75! I almost gave myself a paper cut, as I pulled out my dollar with lightening speed! The handle is really heavy, which is nice. The box measures 10" wide.
~
There was an open house/Estate sale down the street, so we stopped by. I'm guessing the house was probably built in the 1930s. Inside the power was off, so she literally handed us a flashlight to go through the rooms PACKED with 40+ years of vintage goodness! I ended up buying this straw hat for $1.00. The back is folded up, which I like. After I paid for it, I immediately put it on!
A nearby church was in on the fun and hosted a garage sale as well..I found this shawl there for $1.00. Its worn and a neutral color, which will be perfect for the chilly days ahead.
~

One place was having a sale by donations only...So I bought two sweaters and this hat all for $2.00!
So in total today I spent less than $7.oo!
~
Gathering Flowers
When we came home, my sister spent time in the back gathering this bunch of flowers. I love the vibrant color, and sometime soon hope to try my hand at dyeing fabrics using plants.


Visiting with New Friends...

A month or two ago, we were at a Christian event, and I was approached by a family who recognised me from my blog! They ended up not living too far from us, and invited us over to their Homestead! When we came yesterday, they also had another dear family there who reads my blog as well!
~


A few Country girls...
It encouraged me so much to spend time with the girls! They told me about their love for old-fashioned things, and even had civil war and regency dresses that they wore that evening!!


My mother talking to the Ladies^
We all conversed on the front porch, and it was delightful! Sharing stories, insights, prayer requests...it was a blessing :)


Beautiful tables and decor...


Sunkissed Zinnias at the picket fence...
~

Touring the Hen House...

Fellowship before the meal...
~
During the meal, we had wonderful conversation...
~
After dessert, I brought out my guitar, and we gathered
around the fireplace and worshipped the Lord together.
"Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom, teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord."
Colossians 3:16

A sweet gift... Apple butter, cookies, wall decor, and a candle! We truly had a memorable day :)

I want to take a moment to ((Thank you)) for reading my blog! Through it, I've been able to meet some of you and look forward to more opportunities in the future! Also, your comments encourage me so much :)

I'll be back soon with more updates!

26 comments:

Mieke said...

So much beauty for only 7$ and a bunch of new friends as well, you're one lucky girl !

Jenna said...

I would love to visit with you Mia...only hitch is that we aren't that close in distance;/

Have a blessed day!
~Jenna~

Caroline said...

What great finds! We haven't been able to go yard sale-ing in weeks and I am really missing it!

Shelley said...

I loved reading your post this morning. It was wonderful...what wonderful things you found on your treasure hunt......have a most blessed week dear Mia.....

Trish said...

It's a beautiful blog post you really captured Autumn well! If only I could send you some of the fresh apple cider I just discovered here in NY! There's a family owned business we made it our homeschool feild trip to watch the cider being made!!

Your finds were wonderful I love the figurines!

Trish

Paulina said...

Mia, how wonderful! I bet it was truly a great experience meeting this family. I pray and hope that we can meet someday!

Hosanna said...

This is so beautiful. What wonderful treasures you found! I love yard sales/estate sales...............

Kendra Logan said...

Thank *you* for posting! I love reading your blog!

Colossians 3:16 is my youth group's "motto"! I love that verse.

I would love to visit you sometime, but I think we live far away. Oh well. I love getting to know you through your blog anyway!

~Kendra

LadyBug-Laurie said...

It sounds like you have a truly lovely day! What exquisite yard sale finds!
And what fun to meet some of your readers. What a blessing and a bit of fun this post is! Thank you! :)

Caeseria said...

Okay, I have GOT to go shopping with you!
That box would make a beautiful purse...
I have started collecting hats for church, and found the most beautiful black one - black straw, with a black ribbon and silk flower - for a dollar. ECSTATIC. Forget diamonds, garage sales and thrift stores are a girl's best friend.
I keep meaning to ask - those beautiful black and white photographs you have, the ones that look like they were taken in the 1800s, where did you find them? Were they taken of you in period dress? I love old photographs, but ones from the 1800s with African-Americans are just BEYOND rare, or so I was given to understand when I volunteered at a museum.
Thank you for writing your blog!

Kelsey Anne Hoppman said...

Beautiful photo's! Thank-you so much for sharing it all; It is a blessing! :)

In Christ Alone,

Kelsey

Mia said...

Dear Mieke,
I was very excited to find a few treasures for a low price! :)
~
Dear Jenna,
I know! I'd love to meet you as well :) Hmm, you never know..maybe someday!
~
Dear Caroline,
Thank you! We hadn't been out to yard sales either, so it was a fun outing!
~
Dear Ms. Shelly,
Thank you!! How encouraging :)
~
Dear Ms. Trish,
Thank you, I'm sure watching the process of Apple cider was a great field trip!I'm sure it was fun!
~
Dear Paulina,
I hope so!!
~
Thank you, Hosanna!
~
Dear Kendra,
Thank you for your encouraging comments, it's always nice to hear from you!
~
Dear Ms. LadyBug,
Thank you!! We did indeed have a wonderful day :)
~
Dear Ms. Caeseria,
Thank you for your comment! Good to hear you found a hat you love!!
The photos on the sidebar are from the Allposters site and Flickr site, none are of myself. Unless I say that its me, usually its just an antique photo I've researched.
Yes, these photos are rare, thats why I *love* to see them..constant inspiration!
Thanks for your question!!

*Mia

Mia said...

Thank you, Kelsey!

Heather said...

What a blessing!

Michelle said...

This blog is so lovely!
What a wonderful testimony it is!

God Bless,
Michelle

Gwyneth said...

What beautiful pictures Mia! I love the image of the sunset. Your blog is like Hot Chocolate for the soul. It just makes me feel good, and is such a treat!

God Bless,
-Gwyneth

Kate said...

I love thrifty finds like that!

Thank you for sharing the beauty of the southern hospitality you were blessed by. I live in the north and unfortunately, hospitality is lacking here. I feel pressed in my spirit towards hospitality and charity. The Lord and I are working out plans! :)

God bless,

ladyscott

aemi said...

What amazing finds! You find so many bargain treasures; where do you keep them all?
I just love visiting our brothers and sisters in Christ. What a beautiful day. <><

Miss Jen said...

Dearest Mia~
It looks and sounds like you
had a simply wonderful, refreshing
and enjoyable time! I SO hope we can meet some day... Bless you dear sister in the Lord!

Love~ Jen

Christa said...

Your blog is wonderful Mia! I love visiting and I will be back often.
Beautiful pictures! It makes me want to go there. :)

Christa

Emily said...

You found some wonderful things! I love the dress figurines - and the straw hat and shawl is lovely! I always try to keep my eyes open fro shawls and hats here, but it is so difficult to find - even at the thrift stores!

Oh the party was so beautiful! The decorations are gorgeous - the food looks scrumptious as well! What a lovely time it turned out to be!

Suburban Simplicity said...

Mia,

You have a fabulous talent for finding treasures :) As always, enjoyed reading your post.

Sandra

Sunny said...

I find your blog most delightful. Your pictures are lovely.
Sunny :)

Andylynne said...

What a wonderful treasue trove you came home with. such a good shopper, and good steward of your funds. the interaction with people and yoru new items made it a day way better than any mall. Your familys visit with another family looks like it was a huge sucess. When you sing of "blog" for the Lord, all kinds of wonders are reveiled. Thank you for sharing your world.

McKenzie Elizabeth said...

Hello Mia!
My Momma talked to Mrs. Jill the other day, and she told her about your delightful visit!! It sounded like you had so much fun. I love the pictures you took around their place.

Love you,
McKenzie Elizabeth~

cathyjo said...

I just love your blog,can't get enuft of it.just keep coming back,looking foreward to whats coming this coming year,with you and family and your land.All the blessing you all will be recving and the hope and joy you will share with us all. Thank You. Cathyjo

ps.forgive the spelling.