Wednesday, October 14, 2009

"That you also aspire to...

Lead a quiet life...
Being at home doesn't necessarily mean you're guaranteed a "quiet life". Distractions can easily pull oneself away from the home, even if it's a good thing. I've learned that we're not obligated to sign up for every little get-together or event :) Even though that sounds elementary, at first it was difficult to say "No" to the temptations of spontaneous invitations or events. Even though it could be great, sometimes it's not worth the stress of a late night, or a kitchen left in disrepair due to leaving in haste! --But it's been wonderful to spend most of the week at home doing projects, and not constantly being out.
~
Mind your own business...
"Be still, and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Wrapped in a shawl, I sipped on hot tea as I searched the scriptures--And I always find it so relaxing to take as much time as needed to literally "be still" and read with an open heart.
~
And to work with your own hands...
"I believe that when one can grow to the point where he loves his work, this gives him a kind of strength
that is most valuable." Booker T. Washington
~
I had mentioned in a previous post that as I use this time at home to learn and grow, my short-comings are addressed (by my parents), and I receive any advice/helpful instruction from there, as they know my heart and have my best interests in mind . This is so beneficial! If I become dissatisfied or lazy in my work, I have to remember to do everything unto the Lord-- enjoying being at home, and eager to learn and work with my hands. Doing things the right way isn't always the quickest and easiest..but in the long run? A blessing.

..as we commanded you." 1 Thessalonians 4:11
I don't know about you, but I find this "command" beautiful!
When I think of 'Living a quiet life', I think of
Rest, peace, assurance, hard work, and a pleasant countenance.
~
Today I decided to bake bread, and it turned out perfect!!
Dutch Apple Bread
In a large bowl:
*1 stick butter
*1/2 cup oil
*2 cups homemade brown sugar
~
Homemade Brown Sugar recipe:
Have you ever looked at the ingredients in packaged brown sugar? It's corn syrup solids!! As a delicious alternative, I make my own brown sugar. It's super easy, fast, and gives desserts the "old fashioned" taste.
Ingredients: 1.5 TBsp Molasses + 1 cup Sugar=1 cup Brown sugar. That's it!
~
After mixing the butter, oil and sugar together, I add:
*4 large eggs
*3 tsp vanilla
~
In a separate bowl, I sift together:
*4 cups wheat flour
*2 tsp baking soda
*1/2 tsp salt
~
This is optional, but I highly recommend it!
In a small bowl add:
*1/2 cup dried cranberries (Craisins)
Pour hot water over the cranberries(not too much) and cover bowl with plastic wrap.
This process is often used for raisins to "plump" them up before use in baking :)
~
Alternately pour into butter/sugar mixture:
*2/3 cup apple juice
*Dry ingredients
~
Chop 2 apples (I used Gala & Granny Smith) into small pieces:
*about 2.5 cups
Then fold apples into batter...
~
Drain cranberry liquid elsewhere, then add berries to mixture.
*Pour batter into 2 greased and floured loaf pans
~
Crumb Topping:
3/4 cup flour
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
3 tsp Cinnamon
6 TBsp Butter pieces
~
Add crumb topping to the tops of bread before putting loaves into oven!
(I didn't use all of the topping)
Bake in a pre-heated 350 degree oven for 45 mins or until done.
~

Ahh, the smell of bread baking is so comforting!! lol

It turned out delicious--not too dense, but warm and flavorful, without being heavy. My dad especially enjoyed this, so I'll try this recipe in muffin form so he can take some to work!
~

26 comments:

Jenna said...

Ah...amidst taking drivers ed about 4x a week for the entire month of October, I have COMPLETELY realized just how much I love being at home!!! I enjoy a quite afternoon of baking ~so~ much...

However, after I can drive, I can go to the store for ingredients to try more recipes:)

The apple bread looks delicious~

Stacie, A Firefighter's Wife said...

Wow! That looks yummy!

I love your wise words and I love being home

Mary Ellen ~ Carolina Momma said...

Looks delicious! I bet sucanat would add a wonderful flavor to this. I'll have to try it in place of the brown sugar.

bookflutterby said...

Mmmm. This looks delish!!! I must try it. :D I just HAVE to ask you- where did you get that gorgeous white dress that you are wearing in the pic on your sidebar? I LOVE IT!
Courtney

Kelsey Anne Hoppman said...

Thank-you for sharing the recipe! You do a great job with the pictures. :)
Home is really the very best place to be!

God Bless,

Kelsey

Shelley said...

The bread looks wonderful...you are so right,the smell of bread baking is a very comforting thing. You have a very blessed future ahead of you....

Antoinette K. said...

Hello Miss. Mia!

I just came across your blog from the "Country Hearts at Home" blog and have found your blog to be so neat and wonderful! I graduated from homeschooling this year and strive to be a home maker and a keeper of the home to the glory of God as well! it is so refreshing to find like-minded friends to build one another up in the Lord! I will be visiting more often, and that recipe looks wonderful!!!!


Blessings to you!

Miss. Antoinette K.

Lindsay said...

What a lovely post, Mia! Home is, indeed, a wonderful place to be. Oh, and your apple bread looks very yummy. Thank you so much for sharing the recipe with us! :)

~ Love in Christ,
Lindsay

Miss Jen said...

Mia~
Thank you for your inspiring words!

It's so true... like you said~

"Doing things the right way isn't always the quickest and easiest..
but in the long run? A blessing."

I have found this to be ever so true
in my own life! Doing work (homemaking duties) with carefulness, and diligence is well worth the wait and a rich Joy and blessing in the end!

Thank you for your sweet words
of encouragement and sharing with
all of us your delicious bread
recipe! Yes.... *sigh* I would agrees there is nothing so comforting as homemade bread
baking!!

With Much Love Your Sister in Christ~

Miss Jen

"Learning is not attained by chance, it must be sought for with ardor and attended to with diligence." — Abigail Adams ♥


"Ah! There is nothing like staying at home, for real comfort." ~Jane Austen ♥

Anonymous said...

Dear Mia,
Thank you so much for the reminder of this scripture, beautiful! Also i WILL be trying this recipe this weekend. My mom is coming to town and this would be a wonderful offering with a cuppa!!! Thank you and Lord bless you sweet sister in Jesus. tammyp

AJ said...

Hi Mia! :)
While most of the world may say living a 'quiet' life is boring, I think it's quite lovely. A morning baking or cooking in the kitchen...an afternoon reading scriptures/praying and tackling a new sewing or craft project... and an evening meal around a candlelit table surrounded by family sounds wonderful to me. I do enjoy going out and being with friends, shopping in thrift stores, driving around looking for yard sales, and going to farmer's markets. However, making it a priority to "unplug" from the world and spend time with Him helps me stay on track and stay inspired to do what I need (and want) to do.
Thank you for yet another awesome post. I do believe you are growing into quite an amazing young lady with a bright future. :)
Take Care.

Anonymous said...

You are wise beyond your years! I love to read your blog. I pray that one day each of my three sons will be lead by God to a woman just like you.

I can't wait to try the new recipe.

Shelley, a 46 year old homeschooling mom

Cheesemakin' Mamma said...

That bread looks wonderful! A wonderful alternative to brown sugar, is an unrefined sugar called sucanat. It is much healthier and easy to find at co-ops or health food stores. Thanks for sharing this recipe with us!

Regan Family Farm said...

Dear Mia~
Part of our reasons for moving to the country were based on what you posted. But would you think/pray about a follow-up post on friends, or seemingly a lack of them? We've never been driven by the need for peer-dependency, but there still seems to be a bit of a vacancy. I have my thoughts and comments, but perhaps hearing from a young adult...
Blessings to you!
Mrs. Regan

Trace4J said...

Super yummy!! And what a sweet post. I do love being home. However I have begun the blue sad part of empty nest. So used to a house full. Love your blog.
Seeking Joy,
Grany Trace

Mia said...

Dear friends,
Your comments encourage me so much!

Bookflutterby,
The dress is in a 1860s style and was given as a birthday gift! I do enjoy wearing it :)
~
Cheesemakin' mamma,
Yes, Sucanat is an excellent substitute! Although we don't always have it on hand, molasses/sugar is an easy (yet not as healthy) alternative!

Mrs. Regan,
Thank you for the suggestion! That subject has come up lately (at our house), so hopefully I'll post about it soon..I'm about to start a new post, I think y'all will like it :)

Mia

Emily said...

Being a stay at home mommy I know how hectic home life is - even when you don't get out much during the week! There is always something wonderful going on. Home life is the most blessed!

I find my times for stillness after the children have gone to bed. Then I can read the scriptures and let my mind ponder on the things I have read.

As always, I enjoyed my visit to your blog! :)

Cecilia Rose said...

Hello Miss Mia!

Thank you for sharing the substitute for brown sugar! I have recently discovered that I am allergic to corn, so I am trying to stay away from all corn products, including corn syrup. Next time I come across a recipe calling for brown sugar, I'll try your substitute!

Also, I love reading your blog. You seem so content and joyful, and it's so fun seeing your old-fashioned dress and antique finds! I am trying to get back into blogging...my blog is http://cecilia-rose.blogspot.com

God Bless,
Miss Malori

Erika said...

I just have to say that I love your blog. I have often wished I could live a simple life like your's out in the country. Obviously, the Lord has called me to a different place (due to my father's job), but your love for homemaking truly inspires me to get serious about my home-life. Thank you for your blog. I adore reading through your posts and looking at the pictures. :)
In His grace,
Erika

Anna said...

This rings so true with me! After a day or so 'out', I find myself saying, "Alright, I'm sick of being away! I just want to go home and do some chores!" It's funny how I'd rather stay home and work in the house than be other places having "fun". Cooking and cleaning and sewing are amazingly relaxing to me.

And you have the loveliest pictures!

Diane said...

Mia, you're so very talented in words and pictures and tasks. I hope someday you plan to put all of your thoughts into a book! I've said it before...you are like a young Tasha Tudor in the making, sweet girl!
Diane

Shepherdsfold said...

Your site is lovely I am supposed to be asleep but it feels like such a great gift being here. You have given me dreams and I want to live them, thank you.
Growing in Christ, Christie

Trish said...

the photographs are beautiful and the scripture is a wonderful reminder!

trish

Amber said...

Yummy!

I'm having a giveaway on my blog that I think might be of interest to you! Check it out and enter if you like!

Megan said...

Thanks for the tip on soaking the cranberries in hot water! I had to do substitute fresh cranberries with Craisins, & soaking them worked out really well!

Anonymous said...

Do you have citations for where you got your pictures? I would like to use some of them for a school project, if not that's alright, thanks anyways!(: