Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Lady of the house pt.2/Coming Home


Since I have returned home to the Cottage, I have been remiss in posting my second update! Thank you all for your encouraging comments, prayers and advice--it was very much appreciated!
~
*Thoughts*
Goodness, little ones are so active! My Mother just laughed when I told her how tired I was by the end of the day, but eventually I just got used to the late nights and early mornings!
~
I do have to say that I really enjoyed cooking everyday! I make large sized meals, and the leftovers and baked goods always seem to come in handy! Also, I made sure to have a hot meal/casserole ready for the parents when they arrived.

On Monday, we had Messy French Muffins for breakfast {w/ yogurt and apple slices} The Muffins were soo good, y'all! Have you tried the recipe yet? :)

~

After lunch, I thought it would be fun to take a nature walk outdoors....
~

My theme verse was 1 Thessalonians 3:5--
"Now may the Lord direct your hearts into the love of God and into the patience of Christ."
~

"Mirror Reflections"

I took this photo as the youngest and I were on the floor talking & playing in front of the mirror before I departed for home :)
~

Returning to the Cottage


It's wonderful to be back home! As you could probably tell from my lack of posting, :) I haven't been inside as much...I've been enjoying the outdoors.

Everything is so green.

My view from the garden...

Heirloom Tomatoes

So far we have a few varieties: Rutgers, Cherokee Purple, Yellow pear, Striped German and Red Beefsteak. I also have a few more that aren't heirloom :) In my upcoming post, I'll be sharing about our other fruits/veggies that are growing!

~

Using Newspaper as Mulch

To control weeds, for the past few days I've been laying down newspaper next to the plants, then covering that w/ a thick layer of wood mulch. I'm just going to continue to add more mulch to block all sunlight that those weeds are getting! So far it's working!

~

While we were all working on our various projects, my sister made a beautiful bouquet from a few of our blooming roses! Ah, lovely.

Well, if you're looking for me, I'll be outside--wearing my hat n' apron, planting seeds, and just enjoying the outdoors!


16 comments:

IslandHome said...

I just found your beautiful blog a couple of days ago and I'm really enjoying reading back through your earlier posts. I'll also be in the garden today in my apron and hat although with our southern hemisphere autumn in full swing it's a day of tidying, planting a few seedlings for winter and enjoying the lovely weather we have at the moment. Blessings, Julia

Miss Emily Rachael said...

Those muffins look wonderful. I plan on making them tomorrow!! Also I love the dress you're wearing in the mirror reflection!! I'm so glad you had a wonderful time while being "lady of the house" lol.

God bless!
Emily <3

Mia said...

Ms. Julia (Island Home)
I'm so glad you stopped by! It's amazing how we're in different seasons right now, yet we're both enjoying the change.
~
Miss Emily Rachael,
Yes, I do hope you'll try the recipe..let me know what you think :) Thank you, I felt like a puddle of fabric though,lol!
I did indeed have a good time :)
~
Thank you for commenting!!

Jodi said...

Hello Mia, I pop in your blog from time to time. It's quite lovely! I'm going to try those messy French muffins. Thank you for sharing!

Bonnie said...

I have a very similar recipe, but you fill the cups about 1/3 of the way with batter, add a teaspoon of jam (spiced strawberry is my favorite!) and then fill the rest of the way with batter- delicious!

Abigail and Lydia said...

Those muffins look really good! I think I'll make them as our Friday night treat!:) My mom and I just got home from the store where we bought a few plants to start a small garden. I really enjoy reading your posts!
Abigail

A Victorian Cowgirl said...

Mia,

Those muffins look absolutely devine!! I have a recipe for french muffins, and think I will test them out.. :-) I have a friend who is both French and American.. I will have to ask him how they taste.. LOL :-P

Thank you for lovely read :-) Your posts are always so great!! Keep up the good work.

Your Sister in Christ,
Victoria Elyse

Rhonda said...

Hello!
I enjoyed reading Part2. Love the photo of the "mirror reflection"!
I have made your "Messy French Muffin" recipe...many times they are one of our favorites here! We did change the name to "Mia's Muffins" after the reader on your 100th post did. Thought it was so cute! :O)

Your garden looks real nice!
Have you ever hear of Amish Paste Heirloom tomatoes? They are a real good one too for sauces, salsas, and just eating.

Have a blessed weekend Mis Mia!
In Christ,
Rhonda

McKenzie Elizabeth said...

Hello Mia!
Well, it sounds like you did a wonderful job keeping the little ones! I knew you would do great:)

I too have spent every spare moment out-of-doors. I love spending time in the garden watering, weeding, and of course smelling the herb plants:)I love it...

Blessings to you my sweet friend!

McKenzie Elizabeth~

Suzanne said...

What an absolutley lovely bouquet! Those children were blessed for sure having you there:-)

His Beauty said...

If you have not tried the messy french bread muffin recipe, I suggest you RUN not walk to the nearest kitchen to try it... :)

Sloan <><

rebekka said...

I'm not sure exactly how I came across your blog, but I just wanted to say hi and I have really enjoyed your PRECIOUS posts!!

Blessings,
Rebekka

Elisa said...

I just wanted to say thanks for posting the muffin recipe. I usually bake something for our Church's break between meetings so when I saw your muffins the other day I just had to try them. I did one and a half times the recipe and baked it in a ten inch bunt pan. It turned out lovely and everyone greatly enjoyed it. I will definitely be using this recipe again!
Thanks again,
Elisa

TheYearofDina said...

Hi Mia!
I heard about your blog through a woman i do historical reenactments with. I just wanted to say all your clothes are beautiful and I love them! I am pursuing a master's degree at UGA in historic dress,so it is awesome to see these styles being worn.

rosemary said...

Hello Mia,
I just found your blog this evening, and I commend you for your simplicity of not only lifestyle, but your sweet character that shows itself in the way you write. I've so enjoyed reading your lovely posts. God bless you, your Mother and Father, your sister and brother.

Angela said...

Mia, your experience sounded fabulous! There is so much to learn from children - the art of play for the sake of play. We adults have lost that sense of play that feeds our souls and spirits.

No matter where I go, I love coming home.

Thanks for sharing.