Monday, April 5, 2010

Spring Thoughts, Vintage Living


"He is not here; for he has risen, as he said." Matthew 28:6a

I hope everyone had a blessed Resurrection weekend! We had friends from the Atlanta area {that we haven't seen in years} stay at the Cottage for the weekend! It was a good time of "catching up", productively working on outdoor projects together, and sharing about our homesteading vision.
~

Lately I've really been in a "reflective state of mind" thinking about:

*The Death, Burial, and Resurrection of our Lord (!!!)

*My responsibility as a daughter, sister, friend, light for Christ

*Using this time (while I'm unmarried) to be as productive/industrious as I can. Now that I've graduated, I have alot more extra time and many resources.

*Growing in my knowledge of scripture...not just head knowledge, but applying it to my daily walk, and hiding/memorizing verses in my heart.
~


Apron in the making....

I purchased 2 yards of gingham checked fabric, and am attempting to hand sew a 19th century apron. I'm using this free pattern HERE for directions. My project is half done, but I'm enjoying the outdoors so much, that I've been neglecting it. I'll bring it into the woods w/ me tomorrow and stitch there.
~

Speaking of the woods, now you know about my favorite hiding place :)

The dappled light, whispering winds, sounds/antics of surrounding birds and nature is the perfect atmosphere for prayer and thoughts.....and photography :)

~


By the by, I was wondering if anyone of you can identify this flowering tree. It stands out in a lovely shade of fragrance-free purple blossoms, with delicate green foliage. If I can find a smaller tree, I may try transplanting it nearer to the Cottage :)

~

My Mother has been working diligently on the front porch and her Herb garden area :)

"But a wife's ministry of mercy reaches outside her own doors. Every true home is an influence of beauty in the community where it stands." J.R. Miller 'Homemaking' 1882

As we've been working on fixing up the Cottage this past year, it's been encouraging to see the positive {and curious!} response from our neighbors! This morning as my Mother and I were working outside, an older woman stopped by just to encourage us; and invited us to come fish 'over yonder' at her pond anytime :) Which is exciting to me, because I love to go fishing when I get an opportunity!

Getting to know our neighbors/gaining their trust is really important to us, especially since we're in a moderately rural area.
~

My strawberries have multiplied! I haven't separated the runners though, so now they've become established. I'll just see what they do, and I may transplant later. maybe.
~

"God grant that I may live upon this earth
And face the tasks which every morning brings
And never lose the glory and the worth
Of humble service and the simple things."
Edgar A. Guest
~

Today my sister and I dressed 1950's style...

We discovered some Carolina Jasmine vines near the woods, so I tucked a few sprigs into my hair, and turned on the record player to enjoy the vintage melodies indoors.

~

My sister coming inside to join me...
~
We took some antique books with us outside to read in the shade of the Oak tree
~

I so enjoy the bursts of color of these vibrant flowers as I walk up to the back of the property.
Spring is officially here!!

40 comments:

Lindsay said...

I *always* enjoy looking at your beautiful pictures, Mia!! You and your sister look so pretty and content reading outside. Oh, and your dear mom's hat is just lovely! I'm so glad y'all are enjoying some beautiful spring weather. :)

Have a blessed week!!

♥ Love,
Lindsay

RuthMarie said...

Hi Mia,
Beautiful Springtime photos! I think the purple flowering tree might be a Red Bud tree. They can grow wild in the woods and have heart shaped leaves. That would be my guess. Enjoy the days. RuthMarie

Ashley said...

I read your blog all the time, but rarely comment.. But today the pictures were just so beautiful, I just had to compliment them! :) I especially love the first and second ones. Praise the Lord for His resurrection! :)

Kate said...

I am in LOVE with your yellow dress! For Resurrection Sunday my daughter wore yellow as did her two female cousins and it wasn't planned! Hubby and I looked longingly at my vintage yellow sundress with matching bolero that my dress form is wearing now and wished I could have worn that for Easter. However, my belly looks like I swallowed a volleyball, so I wore a pretty sage green eyelet maternity dress instead.

Your encounters with the neighbors has me thinking that now that Spring is here it is a great time to get out with the children and visit with the neighbors who I haven't seen much of all winter.

God bless,

Kate Scott

Lorie said...

Lovely post. Thank you for sharing your beautiful thoughts with us.

Many blessings,
Lori

Bee~Content Cottage said...

A lovely resurrection weekend you had, dear one, thank you for sharing!
I think you have a red bud tree..we have one here as well. I will post a picture of it today on my blog.
Your dresses are very pretty. I just finished another apron and hope to get some photos soon on my blog..the light in our cottage isn't very good since the sun has been scarce, but I hear today may be brighter!
I thought as I read your words on relecting in Christ, how that when I draw near to Him in word and deed, He always shows me the most awesome things I don't believe I would have even pondered had I gone off and did my own thing. Be ready for Him to show you marvellous things!
Fishing in the neighbors pond reminded me of when we use to cross the hill behind the cottage we lived in when our oldest was knee high to a grasshopper and fish in the neighbors pond, then hike back home and fry up the small blue gill we had caught..such simple times they were!
Have a beautiful week :)

gail said...

Hello Mia,

You seem like you are actually living in a different era. I really loved your writings this time. I especially like the picture of you and your sister out on the lawn. Thank you for the link to the apron pattern. Till next time.
Blessings Gail

Shelley said...

A very sweet and most beautiful post Mia...my guess on the tree is a Red Bud...we have them here in our woods too....thanks for sharing a very lovely post with us...blessings to you and your dear family...

LeAnna said...

Came here via Bee-Content Cottage. Your blog is very inspiring, and I love the pictures. I would say your tree is a red bud, too, but the color doesn't look quite as deep as our native trees. There are several varieties, though. The blossoms are so delicate, I don't know how they withstand our wind.

Erika said...

I saved your post for last in my google reader to read. I love reading your blog. It is refreshing to read of a young woman not caught up in the world.

Good luck on sewing in the woods I would get caught up in the things around me to much. But sitting under one of our oaks is definately a refreshing way to spend the afternoon sewing.


Erika

Jill said...

I just love your beautiful family! Wanted to let you know that your blog is such a blessing to me. I have 5 month old twin girls and I pray that they grow up to be such admirable women for God, just as you are.

Blodgett said...

Mia, I just have to say... I LOVE your mamma! I want to sit down and interview her on how she raised such an amazing young lady!!
God bless you and big hugs~
Mrs. Maellen Blodgett

Chaos Cottage said...

My first thought was the tree was a red bud tree as well. They are beautiful this time of year.

guitargirl said...

Oh hai! You take nice pictures. :D

Kate said...

What lovely photos! Your homestead looks like such a place of peace and refreshment. May God bless your spring planting! = )
Blessings,
Kate

Miss Antoinette K. said...

I just love the outfits you wear, they are so sweet and feminine! I just wanted to let you know my mother and I are having a giveaway over at our blog if you are interested! http://practicalsimplicity.com/blog/2010/04/our-1-year-anniversary/

It is one I am sure you will enjoy, it is something I hand made that any feminine lady would want to have!

Blessings,

Miss Antinette

Allison said...

Hi Mia!
I loved your post! : ) The tree is a Cercis canadensis. Also known as the Eastern Read Bud. We have three of these wonderful trees in our yard and they are my favorite!
God~Bless,
~Allison

Denita said...

What a beautiful redbud tree! Unfortunately, it may be a bit difficult to transplant, as they tend to have very deep roots. But it shouldn't be too difficult to start some seedlings from the bean pods they develop. They grow very quickly and you will be rewarded with more gorgeous magenta flowers in no time at all! :-)

Megan said...

Beautiful flowers! We have the same purple flowers (from the last picture) here in TX :) Any idea what type of flower they are? My sisters & I noticed that they close in the evening, & re-open in the day.

I love yours & your sister's dresses. The gloves set them off nicely!

Ali Ann said...

This was such a cute post! Doesn't spring make everything so beautiful? I have NO idea what that flowering tree is. I'll ask my dad soon :)

In His unfailing love,
Ali Ann

sweet locus lane farm said...

Beautiful pictures as always. How lovely you all look, so feminine and beautiful.

Autumn said...

I always love your vintage dresses! Thank you for sharing the apron pattern- I think I'll make it!

I believe that the tree is a redbud.

Anonymous said...

you Both look lovely....what books did you read??

Laura Lee said...

Mia!

Where did you get your beautiful dresses from?

Lovelovelove your blog!

In Him,

Laura

C. C. said...

Mia, you are such a neat gal! What a blessing you are to your family. You are faithful to your homemaking and your garden and sewing and taking part in the community; what a wonderful example and blessing you are! Thank you for posting about your interesting life.

Aunt B said...

Mia,
If the leaves are heart shape, then you can rest assured, you probably have a Red Bud tree. I planted one about two years ago and it bloomed for me this year.
Keep us informed about your garden.
Aunt B

Allison said...

OOPS! I mean RED Bud!

Erika said...

Oh Mia! This is one of my favorite posts that you've made this year. Such great photos and thoughts and quotations. Oh how I love reading your blog and getting a peak into your life! :-)

Sereina said...

Beautiful post! And I love your 50's outfits.

Rhonda said...

Wow! I enjoyed reading your blog so much! Your Mother looks so lovely out there working in the garden. I wish we were neighbors!Love love love your yellow dress and the gloves....So perfect! Your sister is just as lovely! It must be so much fun to dress up and do the tings you do! I would just love to spend an afternoon with y'all! Put me to work! I'd love it!
In Christ's unconditional love,
Rhonda

Joanna Kristina said...

Ooooo!!!! I simply LOVE your vintage dresses! How delightful!
~Joanna

Mia said...

Dear friends,
Thank you so much for your comments!! Really, you all are wonderful :)


Laura,
I purchased both dresses secondhand--although at different times. My sister's dress I bought (for under $5) a few years ago, and the yellow dress I bought (for $2.50) just this past fall...I'm so glad you like the dresses!!
~

In Christ,
Mia

Anonymous said...

Hi! I just wanted to say, I LOVE your sister`s dress! It`s like a 1950`s style dress, isn`t it?

mommyoffaith19 said...

beautiful photos, beautiful dresses and beautiful girls!


www.mommyoffaith19.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed reading your blog. The music is so pretty too! You may already be familiar with this ministry, but I wanted to recommend Revive Our Hearts (www.reviveourhearts.com). God has taught me a lot about Biblical womanhood through the ROH ministry.

Civil Folks said...

Mia, Beautiful as always. I appreciate the Bible scripture with the Dogwood Blossom picture. Do you know the legend of the Dogwood? The four petals with their red tint of color and damaged tips represent the four injuries of Christ, His wrists were nailed individually, His feet together and the wounds in His head. The beautiful white color of the flower represents His purity and salvation and the four petals remind us of the cross. The crown in the center represents His crown of thorns. Oh, what wondrous things He has done for each of us. I cannot see a Dogwood tree without seeing my Savior on every branch! Frank and Pamela

Pen Pen said...

Found your blog through "Down to Earth" blog.... I love it!!!! You are what I have always dreamed of being.... thanks for sharing your wonderful life with us. I spent quite a bit of time yesterday, reading back through your older posts... love your life!

Josie said...

YU\our dresses are SO pretty! i love vintage things and these are so cool. Your pictures are great too!
Josie

Elizabeth said...

The tree in the woods is a redbud. Our State tree! You can probably find a seedling growing nearby and transplant it to wherever you want.

You and your sister's "50's" dresses are beautiful!

Hailey said...

Hi Mia, my name is Hailey and i am 11 years old. Your blog inspires me so much. I loooooooove the way you dress and the way your family is living.

Hailey W.