Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Honeysuckle Rose Jelly

As a Mothers Day gift, I thought it would be nice to 'capture' the floral fragrance around the cottage, so I decided to use a lovely combination of Honeysuckle blossoms and Rose petals.
~


I used 2 cups rose petals, and 1 cup of Honeysuckle blossoms.
~
I poured 2 cups boiling water over the flowers
~
This is what it looked like immediately after the boiling water.
I then placed a heavy plate over it to keep in the heat whilst it pressed the flowers.
~
I let the infusion "steep" for 6 hours.
(By this time it's late at night...remember I'm keeping this a secret from my Mother..lol everyone's in bed and I'm in the kitchen...)
~
I was *so* glad the infusion came out naturally pink! Perfect :)
~

Pour the infusion in saucepan with 1/4 cup lemon juice and 1 tsp calcium water. Then bring to a boil.

~
I recently found out about Pomona's Universal Pectin which allows you to make low sugar, honey, & fruit juice sweetened jellies and jams! I *really* dislike all the sugar required for more traditional recipes, so this was the perfect alternative!
~
I mixed 2 tsp pectin into 1/2 cup raw honey
~
After bringing the infusion mixture to a boil, I poured in the honey/pectin, then brought that to a boil, then removed from heat.
~


I then poured the "jelly" into 3 sterilized jars, and screwed on the hot lids.
~

I put the jars in a rolling-boil water bath for 10 mins.
Then you're done! I put the jars in my room for safe-keeping.
~

The petals and blossoms could all fit in my hand by the time they were strained :)
~

The day before Mothers Day we traveled on the back roads through all the small towns on our way to SC to visit my Grandmother. The scenery makes the trip so much more interesting! We were able to pick up a few
vintage finds along the way.
~



My Mother was so surprised that I was able to make jelly from our very own flowers at the Cottage! The taste is very delicate and fragrant--we all enjoyed it!

~


Here's my Mother relaxing outside with a cup of tea, an issue of MaryJane's Farm, and crackers garnished w/ cream cheese and Honeysuckle rose jelly.
~
On our way home, we were able to visit our dear friends that we hadn't seen in a while! Their Homestead is beautiful, and it's always a treat to be able to fellowship with them :)
~
Mothers in the garden

Ladies at the strawberry bed...

~

Ah, the Garden.

It was so nice to talk to kindred spirits about the blessings of staying at home and learning new skills as we endeavor to self-sufficiency!

~

In the kitchen...

~

As families began to arrive at their home, I was sharing w/ the ladies about my desire to have an Edwardian Bathing dress for the summer! I found a dress to fix up, but I really wanted puff sleeves for the antique look. As we talked of sewing, one lady drew me a pattern, and explained the best way to take out and cut the existing sleeves. It was alot of fun, and I'm looking forward to showing y'all how it works out!

~

Before we left, we were given 5 laying hens!

Inspired by the BBC movies, "Cranford" and "Bleak House"2005) the ladies are: Miss Mattie, Miss Pole, Lady Ludlow, Mademoiselle Hortense, & Mrs. Forrester

Ah, it's so nice to have chickens again!

We're enjoying gathering the eggs everyday :)
~
I'm an admirer of native grasses and flowers, so as the Dewberry vines grow, it's been a delight to discover all the different varieties of plants that come up as well. So although the back of the property looks untamed and wild..I love it. The thorn-filled vines that would've been mowed (for cosmetic reasons) can now thrive--plus provide us with beneficial fruit!
~

"Build ye houses, and dwell in them; and plant gardens,
and eat the fruit of them." Jeremiah 29:5


36 comments:

Sereina said...

I've never heard of jam with huneysuckle and rose before. It looks like you had a great weekend!

Blessings!
~Sereina

AntfarmMom said...

We have been missing you but it is great to catch up with you through the blog! We must get together again soon!

Hugs to all,
Mrs. A ~for the family

happy momma said...

The jelly sounds wonderful. I made jelly using wild violets using basically the same recipe, except I left it to steep overnight. My youngest son says it is his favorite jelly. The sad part is the violets didn't do well this year so there was no fresh batch, just what's left from last year. Do your friends have a blog? Their place looks so inviting I'd love to see more of it. God Bless

Suzanne said...

What lovely jelly! I just made violet jelly and it came out a perfect shade of lavender:-) I use the pomosa as my pectin too for my blueberry maple preserves.

Jennifer said...

Very Nice Post!

Asiyah said...

Nice post! That jelly sounds delicious. I wish I knew how to make it. I look forward to reading more on your blog in the future.

Beautifully Veiled said...

Mia,
What a sweet daughter you are! I'm sure your mother enjoyed her jelly. Aaaah, your honeysuckle and rose jelly and MaryJanes Magazine. Can it get any better??
Blessings!
Linda

Kathy said...

There are blogs...and then there are blogs!!!!!!
This is a fabulous...inspiring place to be!
I love your heart and your earthy spirit.
Love my visits here...
xoxo~Kathy @
Sweet Up-North Mornings

Stephanie Ann said...

Mia, I absolutely love that bathing costume. I've been collecting CDV's of people in bathing costumes and I have even tried to make one. I really love that one you have posted. If you ever find a good pattern for it, please let me know. Most bathing costumes were wool--can you imagine that in the water? :D

Carolyn said...

I really enjoyed my visit here again today. I love your photos and reading about your gentle lifestyle.

Take care,
Carolyn

Angie said...

Hey Mia! Wow you all can make something good to eat...out of almost anything. :) I feel so bad about using "Betty Crocker" short cuts. Do you make ALL your meals from scratch? Looks like you all are having a wonderful spring. Take Care!

emilia. said...

Mmmm! Looks so good! I want to try this recipe really badly now. :) And what gorgeous pictures.
Much <3,
Emily

jwcreath@gmail.com said...

Your jelly looks wonderful, so happy you discovered Pomona's pectin- been using it for years! So sorry I didn't think to share it with you.

Mrs. Creath

taighbeag said...

This has got to be one of my favorite posts thus far! Thank you for sharing that pectin link. I've been researching more natural ways to make jams and jellies (my crabapple jelly only uses the natural pectin in the crabapples) so as not to use so much sugar.

I loved the pictures of your friend's homestead, too. Now I wish it wasn't freezing cold and raining today where I live so I could work out in my garden.

So happy you were given chickens, too! I would love to have at least 2 laying hens. We could use the hens for tick control. I almost grabbed at a chance to have a male Swedish Black duck for free, but hubby wasn't too enthusiastic what with the baby coming and all. I told him we could eat it in the fall and he was more receptive, but not this year. (He loves roast duck.)

Allison said...

Oooh! Thank-you soooo much for posting about the jelly!!! I've always wanted to make some! I hope you have fun with your chickens!

God-Bless,
Allison

Julian said...

thankyou for sharing your post today. You are such a resourceful gal! Miss hearing from you in letters. Hope to hear from you soon,
christina

Shelley said...

Wonderful post Mia....you have such a sweet wonderful life...I admire you greatly....blessings

FaithAnn said...

Dear Mia,

You are so brave to try new and different jellies! I have always wondered how "flower" jellies would taste. And I love Pomona's pectin. I use it in all my jams/jellies.

It amazes me that you have an abundance of roses already! Up here in Michigan, the roses are barely beginning to form green little buds. (and it is cold and damp today) The garden pictures just make me sigh! So beautiful!

I loved seeing your chickens! What a blessing have fresh eggs every day! We love our birdies! Fun names!

Sincerely,
FaithAnn

Jacob said...

Wonderful job with the jelly Mia!!! It is beautiful in the jar too!!! :-) It looks like the visit with you friends was precious time well spent!! And your new additions to the fam are lovely!!! Lord Bless You -tammyp

Sophia said...

Tee-hee, a chicken named Lady Ludlow?!? I love it!

Oh, good luck with the bathing suit. Are you actually going to swim in it? :)

Laura Lee said...

Mia, I am absolutely aware that our families are of two different races, but I am almost positive that our mothers are long lost sisters, seperated at birth. If they were any more alike, I would swear that they were the same people. :) You wouldn't think that a woman would get SO excited about a magazing arriving in the mail, I mean it happens everyday, right? Wrong, MaryJanes Farm does *not* come in the mail everyday, and it is blatantly obvious, observing the way that my mother snatches it out of my hands the second I walk in the door carrying the mail. Please tell your mom *never* to contact mine.....I'm not sure if I could ever get her off of the phone. BTW. I would have NEVER EVER EVER thought of making jelly out of rose petals....EVER. You are a genius, Mia.

Kindest Regards,

Laura

Allison said...

Hi Mia!
I am in the process of making your Honeysuckle Rose jelly! I have a question though. Is it necessary to use calcium water in the recipe? Will it effect the way it turns out using just water?

Thanks so much!
Allison

Anonymous said...

Mia

I love your posts too. I am stumped about calcium water though? What exactly is it? And have you ever made jelly using apple blossoms? How do you know which flowers are ok to use or are they pretty much all ok?

Theresa

Mia said...

Thank you all for your delightful comments!!

Ms. Angie,
Thank you! Yes, we do make all of our meals from scratch :)
~
Sophia,
Yes, I'll most certainly swim in it..I can't wait! hehe

~
Dear Laura,
LOL!
I really enjoyed your enthusiasm!! :) It's so much fun when our Mothers find a great Magazine they love..and it looks like we daughters love it too! Thanks for commenting, my Sister!
~

Dear Allison,
Pomona pectin comes w/ a special pectin and calcium so that it can be low sugar/honey.
The calcium water is monocalcium phospate (This was my first time using it)
You can use blossom infusion in place of fruit juice for reg. (surejell) jellies I believe.
~
Ms. Teresa,
Thank you!
I've never used apple blossoms but you definetely want to search books/internet to make sure certain flowers are edible since they all aren't. The calcium packet came w/ my Pomona pectin.

In Christ,
Mia

Allison Elizabeth said...

What a cute idea to name your chickens after "Cranford" Characters!
I esp. like "Miss Pole" and "Lady Ludlow"!
Allison Elizabeth ♥

alex said...

I didn't know that you can make jelly out of flowers! You are very, very resouceful. You must be a blessing to have around the house. :)

Hoop said...

I love the jam recipe. I have been working on a few floral jams myself. I did a Dandelion Jam, and a Violet Jam. And will do a Wild Rose when my roses come in. I love your blog. I am a homemaker and have with God's grace been working on being more like Dorcas or Mary and Martha. A good mix of hard work with lots of sitting at Jesus feet. Keep up the good work.

Cheesemakin' Mamma said...

What a lovely homestead! Neat idea on the jelly. I've been using Pamona's pectin for several years now and absolutely love it. I use raw honey to sweeten my raw fruit and then freeze it so that the jam stays completely raw. Great post as usual!

Jessica said...

Who knew?!

Thanks for sharing the link to the pectin substitute! I've always wanted to learn how to can food but the amount of sugar scared me.

Jenni said...

Dear Mia,

You are such an inspiration to me. I dream of my family becoming self suficient, of staying home with my daughter, and of homesteading. Your outfits are beautiful, as is your life. Thank you for be a blessing to me.

Affectionately,
Jenni

TSM said...

I so enjoyed your site this morning, thank you!

Teresa said...

What a lovely surprise it was to find your site!

Tyra said...

Well I tried posting a comment earlier...will try again. I had never heard of making jelly from flowers until I started looking for something to do with the kudzu growing rampant in our backyard. Trying the Kudzu blossom jelly tonight, might have to try the rose and honeysuckle sometime! I just stumbled across your blog today so I look forward to seeing more! Love your page so far!

Reliance Pantry said...

Wonderful pics. Thank you. I used to make rose petal jelly all the time and my family loved it. Sold a lot also. It is very good.

Anonymous said...

My sister just shared your blog with me. Just reading it makes me feel like I have come home. I look forward to reading every post.

Lisa/Fresh Eggs Daily Farm Girl said...

What a beautiful blog you have. I found you through Homestead Survival. I hope you will come link up with my Blog Fest: http://fresh-eggs-daily.blogspot.com/2012/09/farm-girl-friday-blog-fest-1.html