Monday, August 16, 2010

An Old Fashioned Campmeeting

~The lake & picnic area~
My Mother and I traveled up to Missouri with our church--We drove through the night, and arrived that next morning. We were deep in the country, and the surrounding acreage was a glorious sight.
~
It was exciting to fellowship with friends,
then right away we started the service w/ singing...
~
Checking the schedule on the bulletin board
~
I loved how we had the option to seek the serenity of the wilderness during the day.
My dear friend and I were inspired to explore...
~
~My friend near the lake~
The weather really did feel like Georgia! The humidity was incredible :)
We both put on our hats & brought our cameras. I supplied the granola bars and fruit for her backpack; we really had a great time!
~
A bit of color as we hiked through...
~
~Filtered sunlight in the woods~
There's a peacefulness about spending part of your day in the 'elements'. Nothing artificial, just keeping your senses open--aware of your surroundings. Drawing inspiration from the simple things, and slowing down your pace to appreciate it all.
~
~Encouraging the Elderly~
The young men and women took a trip through the countryside to visit an older man who lived nearby. He's no longer able to travel, so we all gathered in, and filled his home with a-cappella singing. We sang older hymns he knew & remembered from long ago.
~
~Praying~
Then the young men gathered around him, and it was asked if he had advice to share w/ the younger generation. He was able to impart precious wisdom, encouraging us to stay faithful to the Lord. Tears filled his eyes as he shared. It was so moving, and I'm grateful I was able to come and experience this visit.
~
Mother and Daughter
~
~Worship~
My friends and I were able to sing, "It is well with my soul" onstage that morning. One young woman expressed the song in sign language, I fingerpicked the song on my guitar, and 2 other women sang in beautiful harmony as we lifted up our voices.
~
I am so encouraged by the older women who attended and that I was priviledged to meet.
There were many sweet 'Titus 2' examples :)
~
I enjoyed being able to talk with the young ladies..I remember being that age, so I made sure I was always avaliable, especially for those who needed a friend. I'll tell you what, those girls kept me laughing!! Life is *so* dramatic for them, lol.
~
There were many large families, so babies were always in rotation for young women to hold! It really was a sweet sight seeing the celebration of new life.
~
"He makes me lie down in green pastures,
He leads me beside quiet waters, He restores my soul." Psalm 23:2-3
~
On the grounds, there were many peach and cherry trees,
and even a nearby chicken coop & hens!
As my friend and I picked cherries, there were children by the lake fishing.
I told them I'd have to bring my fishing pole next year :)
~
Singing hymns together
~
During service, I sat w/ such a sweet family; Their daughter rested upon my shoulder the whole time.
(Her and I are on the far right)
~
~Evening service~
The outdoor pavilion & benches were constructed in the 1800's, and it all still stands strong today.
~
In the late 19th century throughout the turn of the century, families would gather here from the surrounding counties for 'camp meeting- time'. The crops were harvested, and it was a time of fellowship and worship... how exciting! :)
~"They devoted themselves to the apostles' teaching and to the fellowship,
to the breaking of bread and to prayer." Acts 2:42

~
The past week has been so encouraging!
The next time my family travels out that way, I'll let y'all know so we can meet some of you! :)

30 comments:

Tracy said...

Beautiful pictures, Mia!

Emily of A Beautiful Life said...

What an encouraging week for you! I am always uplifted when I stop by your blog! Thank you for sharing your world with us! You are an inspiration! Blessings to you and your family.

Alisha said...

It looks like you had a GREAT time Mia. You have the most beautiful pictures and inspiring blog!

A sister in Christ and in purity,
Alisha

Pioneer Beauty said...

Dearest Mia,
I was eagerly awaiting your arrival back to Blogville...as you left us with the anticipation of waiting to here about the journey you would soon be traveling..It looks as though the Lord ubundantely blessed your sweet time of fellowship...The pictures looked glorious and you couldn't even feel or sense any discomfort of the humidity : )....due to the fact everyone seemed to be so peaceful looking in all your pictures..Thank you so much for sharing your trip with us....you made it feel as though we were right there with you..
In Christ
Angelina

Tasha said...

Totally Beautiful and inspiring Mia. Is this something done every year for your church?

~ McKenzie Elizabeth~ said...

How neat!
It looks like you had a wonderful time;)

Blessings to you...

Asiyah said...

Bestill my heart. Those pictures are breathtaking. And the sweet simplicity of hymns? Priceless.

I love my life with Christ and it looks like you do too.

Blessings.

Sophia said...

It looks like you had a wonderful time of worship, reflection and fellowship! I loved reading about the elderly man. So much wisdom can be learned from older people, many people(including me) tend to forget.

kpaints said...

So glad you had a marvelous time, what beauty lies within your hearts! Beautiful photos!

Regan Family Farm said...

Have to say, Mia, I long for that kind of fellowship and encouragement...thanks for the glimpse. You are blessed!

Lindy said...

What a great blog post! SO wonderful to see a spot of CHRIST in this crazy world! You are a blessing and I'm so glad our Father God blessed your time with Him at this outing! I'll be back to your blog often!

Sereina said...

Sounds like you had a lovely time, Mia! I loved all the pictures.

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful time of refreshment! How precious was that visit to that older man. Praise God for *youth* with service like that and a vision. And the wisdom gained from his years. Fellowship, creation, worship=blessing! tp

Jeanne said...

Thanks Mia, That would be nice I have never heard of this Camp-meeting! I would love to share this with my daughter as you family did.
JR

Paulina {Lina} said...

How lovely! Thank you for sharing :)

I love how all the women are wearing skirts. What denomination is your church? I'd love to attend a congregation where modesty was taught and upheld.

Chelle said...

Love your pictures.

Mia said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mia said...

^Sorry y'all I messed up my comment so that's why I deleted it!^

Hello everyone,
Thank you for commenting! It's good to be home, but we truly did have a blessed time in MO!
~
Ms. Tasha,
Yes, & thank you for the email!
~
Paulina,
So good to hear from you!
We're a non-denominational church.
~

Thank you everyone!!
-Mia

Taunya said...

Sounds lovely Mia!!!

Kristi said...

Beautiful, I love going to camp meetings. My parents took me to them as a child and I still enjoy them. My father has had a severe stroke, but when camp meeting time came he wanted to be there and let us know!

Raquel said...

Mia, looks like a lovely time. I am Pentecostal, so it is very refreshing for me to see other people with such a high holiness standard. Sounds like you had a good time, do announce the next time you are headed this way, I am up in west central Missouri. It has been quite humid here, but has cooled down nicely the last day or two. Much love - Raquel XO

Thandi said...

I love how modest everyone was. What a blessing!(And everything else too, LOL)

Miss Jen said...

Awww.... how lovely, Mia! :)
I so enjoyed reading this post
and seeing all of your beautiful pictures!!
Oh, the joys of rich fellowship!!

Bless you, dear friend!

Love~ Miss Jen

Acacia said...

This is too beautiful, Mia!!
Thank you so much for sharing.
Your posts always put a spark into my day. :)
Blessings,
Acacia

Sara said...

Great pictures, as usual! It sounds like the event was a real blessing. "It is Well with my Soul" is one of my favorite hymns.

daydreamer81 said...

Nothing speaks to my heart more than old fashioned camp meetings, I wish our church held services that way every sunday!

Sandra said...

Loved this post and photographs! It's been a while since I've found a camp meeting; we used to baptize in the river as well...very chilly but memorable.

Anonymous said...

Mia,
Thank you for showing such beautirul pics. of MO. I trully love my state even when it is so hot and humid. Where was this camp meeting if you don't mind telling. We would love to attend next yr. It looked like a wonderful gathering of the Lord's people. Thank you, Trudy

Lisa said...

Mia,
I am not sure if I have ever commented on your blog before. I get really excited when I notice you have a new post because you are such an inspiration to me! Your pictures tell a thousand stories and I don't think I would care if you never wrote anything, just looking at the pictures brighens my mood. I have 3 small girls and I can only hope I can raise them to be half of who you are! You are an amazing woman with an amazing family. You are so very blessed!

Vicki said...

What a lovely blog! Love your photos and all. I Love Georgia..My husband and I used to live in Florida and traveled through a lot..Blessing to you...