Saturday, August 7, 2010

A Summer-time Update


:for you:

Due to internet circumstances, I haven't been able to get online to update, and it really has been too long! However, this absence has allowed me to get other things done, as the high outdoor temperature has kept us inside during the day to work on projects.
~

In the Garden...

The tomato season is dwindling down, so now our biggest producers are peppers and okra!

~


Homemade Baking Powder

*1 TBsp Cream of Tartar, *1/2 TBsp Baking soda, *1/2 TBsp cornstarch= 2TBsp baking powder

Self Rising Flour

*1 Cup flour, *1.5 tsp Baking powder, *1/2 tsp Salt= 1 cup Self Rising Flour
~

I still manage to bake when I can on overcast/rainy days, and substitutes always come in handy! :)
~

A reader asked about what we usually cook throughout the Summer months. Our meals are usually light, with less meat/cheese and more fresh vegetables.

(Don't worry we make up for it during the winter months, *trust me*)

I love incorporating my own canned condiments w/ dinner as well.
~
For lunch, it's almost always Salad "with all the fixin's" (uh, that's the southern way of saying garnish, but despite the meaning we pile on extra) lol! Its complete w/ homemade dressing, too.
~
In the above photo the menu consists of:
*Lightly Stir-fried red potatoes w/ green beans
*Steamed organic carrots (because we didn't grow carrots ourselves, we buy organic)
*Buttered rice (we switch up between brown, wild, and white rice)
*Honey Cornbread muffins (I also made an extra pan--it's cooling by the window)
ps) For dessert we have fresh fruit or fruit smoothies!
~
My Mother has been hanging up fresh herbs to dry...
~
Our favorite is English Lavender. This bouquet has been drying for a month, so my Mother rubbed off the fragrant blossoms into a bowl for potpourri. (Next time I'll make a sachet) All day the kitchen air was filled with the scent of Lavender, it was simply lovely!!
~
Mother in the parlour, mending one of our blankets.

We usually spend our time in the parlour reading aloud, sewing, crocheting or working on projects. During the heat of the day, this area is our refuge, lol!
~


I'll be traveling up to Missouri soon (for an event), and will be back to post on Aug. 16th.


I'll be sure to have lots of photo's, you'll enjoy it, I'm sure!!




Yours,
*Mia

27 comments:

kpaints said...

Another lovely post, thank you! You are working harder now that it is harvest time. Wish we had such nice weather to produce lots of veggies, etc. But it was not to be this year. I have done some canning but I had to purchase the beans and soon the cukes.

Sophia said...

Lovely peppers! As the sun refuses to shine in WA, the food refuses to grow! ;P Have fun in Missouri!

Sereina said...

All that food sounds so good, Mia! Especially the honey cornbread muffins!

Laura Lee said...

You. Are. So. Resourceful.

-Laura

Stephanie Ann said...

Your peppers look so yummy! I can never get them to grow that big.

Jo said...

What a beautiful blog you have. You reminded me to dry lavender when it flowers this year (in a few months)- I have quite a few plants so would have enough to make some gift.

What do you do with all the peppers?

Jo

Jenna said...

Your posts are always refreshing and inspiring to me, Mia! Have a wonderfully blessed time in Missouri:)

Love,
Jenna

Shelley said...

Loved reading your post on this Lord's day....the picture of your sweet mama is my favorite and her water jug is great...just my country style...thanks Mia for your sweet post...enjoy your time away and I can't wait to see all the pictures you bring back to share with us....be blessed.

Heather's Blog-o-rama said...

HI Mia....the food looks delicious!!! I'll have to try making the red potatoes with the green beans at home. That would be such an easy way to incorporate more veggies nito meals!!!
Every one of your posts is always good and I really love reading about all the things you make/do for yourselves. I'm fascinated by it. My apartment is small, but mighty...and I'm constantly looking for ideas to be more self-sufficient here, too. It's really a fun thing for me!!!

Oh thanks for the substitute recipes for bakig powder and self-rising flour. I'm going to copy those down. Those will definitely come in handy!!!

Can't wait to see the photos from the event you'll be attending. Have a lovely time!!! Love and hugs from Oregon, Heather :)

Chelle said...

I love your blog. Thanks for the recipe for self-rising flour, and the baking powder. Your pictures are very good.

shirley said...

what beautiful bounty. everything looks so yummy! Glad your back to posting.

Suzanne said...

All nice summertime fare!

Jessica said...

Your blog always makes me so hungry!

The Working Home Keeper said...

Your peppers look beautiful! I don't think my plants are going to make it through the heat. Maybe next year!

Mary Ellen

Mrs.Rabe said...

Lovely post, Mia!

Raquel said...

Love your blog! I found you thru Rosie. May I inquire whereabouts in Missouri? That is where I live. You have a beautiful spirit that shines thru in your writing, keep it up! Much love - Raquel XO

Pioneer Beauty said...

Dearest Mia,
What a delightful post and what a blessing it is to delight in the Lord's bounty...May he continue to bless your harvest and soon trip to Missouri.
In Christ
PioneerBeauty

Miley said...

Lovely. You have such a wonderful life Mia. So blessed.

Rose said...

wow I have to say this is the most interesting blog I've come across in a while. I don't think I've seen a blog by someone african amer. that was of this nature and it is inspiring! I am african american SAHM of 1 and am expecting another this winter. I will bookmark your blog and check for updates. God bless and keep God first.

Tulip said...

I have been coming to your blog for about a year now but I have never introduced myself or even left a comment. I'm sorry that I have neglected this form of etiquette, but I thought that I might as well complete that task today. My name is Tulip, and I have a blog on homeschool blogger. I just love coming here to yours. I love the country (even thought my family lives in town we would all like to move to the country and have a farm.) and so I enjoy seeing all of the photographs that you have about where your family lives. Thank you so much for posting wholesome things on this blog! My mother is very careful about places that we go to on the internet and I know it's because there is so many ugly things online these days. Your blog is very interesting and I really enjoy reading it.

Blessings,
Tulip

Bonnie said...

Hi Mia! Your blog has been listed on www.youngchristianbloggers.blogspot.com

Head over to meet other like-minded young bloggers :)

Mia said...

Hey Everyone!
Thanks so much for your comments, I'm back home and look forward to updating :)
Y'all are such an encouragement to me, I'm truly thankful that you take the time to leave a note to say 'hi'!

Much Love in Christ,
Mia

Mia said...

Dear Jo,
Thank you!
With the the peppers I've made salsa, spaghetti sauce, pepper jelly, peach barbeque sauce and pickle relish.

Everything turned out great, but if I had to choose one to make more of, it would be the relish, hands down!! Definitely a winner :)

--Mia

Grace said...

What a lovely post (as always:). Your posts always inspire me, and thank you for the recipes. I love your stunning photography as well!
Do you not love lavender? I grow it as well, and have been enjoying harvesting and drying it for sachets.
Hope you are having a blessed day!
Grace
gracesgardenwalk.blogspot.com

Colleen said...

I love your flowers. I am soo jealous! It's been so hot where I live, the grass spent most of the summer brown. I was wondering if you've ever considered being a school teacher? You seem to have a giving heart and children seem to like you. So many black children today come from broken homes, you could be a real inspiration to them!

Mia said...

Dear Ms. Colleen,
We've had a hot summer as well!
As far as being a school teacher (for public school) I hadn't thought about it..but I try to be a "big sister" to children that I meet--I remember being so hurt when older girls wouldn't hang out w/ me because I was younger. So now I try to be a good example and friend to girls younger than me.
~
You're right, so many children do come from broken homes...all I can do is love and cherish the ones that I meet and hope that my example/friendship will be a positive influence.

Thank you for your comment!!

-Mia

Jessica said...

I know this is an old post but I've had the rice/carrot/potato/muffin picture saved since you posted it. Anyway, I'm going to be making that meal next week for one of our dinners. Is the buttered rice just rice and butter or are there other ingredients added to it?