Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Living a quiet Life

"That I may publish with the voice of thanksgiving,
and tell of all thy wondrous works." Psalm 26:7
~
My brother baking his first Apple pie for Thanksgiving...
~
Never Fail Flaky Pie Crust
*3 cups flour, *1.5 cups butter/margerine, *1/2 tsp salt, *5 TBsp cold water, *1 egg, *1 TBsp vinegar.
Combine flour, butter & salt. Mix well. Combine water, vinegar and egg. Mix all ingredients together w/ fork. Add flour if necessary. Divide dough into 2 balls, one for crust, other for cutting into strips for the top of pie.
~
Deep Dish Apple Pie
I used my cast iron skillet as the 'pie pan'.
1/2 cup unsalted butter
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup water
8 Granny Smith apples - peeled, cored and sliced
1 TBsp Cinnamon
~
Melt butter in a sauce pan. Stir in flour to form a paste. Add sugars and water; bring to a boil.
Reduce temperature, and simmer 5 minutes.
Meanwhile, place the bottom crust in your pan. Coat apples with cinnamon. Fill until mounded slightly. Cover with a lattice work of crust. Gently pour the sugar and butter liquid over all the crust. Pour slowly so that it does not run off.
Bake 15 minutes at 425 degrees, then Reduce the temperature to 350 degrees and continue baking for 30 to 40 minutes.
It was Delicious. Fantastic. Spectacular. lol!!
~
Chopping up fresh picked collard greens
~
I hope everyone had a lovely Holiday!
*.*
The simplicity of a chilly morning
~
Having fun in the Garden
My Dad brought home two bundles of local sweet Vidalia onion sets!
I couldn't wait to get them in the ground, so I spent all day yesterday planting them :)
~
The night before, I soaked them in water (for a head start) and spaced them 4" apart, with 12" between the rows. Doing this for almost 250 onions got a little tedious, lol!!
We have dry sandy soil, so incorporating compost into the beds (and covering w/ leaves) has really improved the soil...although we still have a long way to go :)
~
Hopefully I'll be able to plant more before it gets too cold!
~
Cottage Schooling
*.*
My brother was reading his McGuffey reader in a crazy accent,
so there was alot of laughing going on :)
~
Rainy day art projects...
~
The beauty of Spinning
*.*
My sister has found a new interest in Spinning,
and so using our own cotton (we just collect it as it blows into the road from next-door)..
~
She hand-spun it using a homemade drop spindle!
~
She got really creative with it, using a long crochet needle, an old CD & gauze (to hold it in place). She's getting better at it everyday...apparently cotton fibers are short, so it's a bit harder than spinning wool.
~
The view of our little Cottage from the back...
*.*

It was very windy today!

The crunch and rustle of the leaves instantly makes a simple walk outdoors a pleasant experience.
~
Turnip greens...
~
Kale
~
Collard greens amongst the fallen leaves...
~
Save the Dishes!
*.*
Instead of throwing away cracked/unusable china, why not re-use them outside?
For years, my Mother has saved a few dishes to use as a nice border in the grass. This one is in front of our porch...
~ Tucked away, and off the path they're a fun touch :) Behind roses, against a fence...
~
Mother and our loveable dog Ol' Yeller
~
Looking up at the leaves...
~
We still have small pears on our tree, and they're beautiful as natural decor! I was wearing my new linen dress (please excuse the oversize sleeves!)
~ The leaves of Autumn...the golden hues of the season. ~ On the porch, we have an antique container that we fill with pear branches and other decor inside.
~
Take time to relax and enjoy the simple joys of today :)
Often we can spend entirely too much time on the details, and not enough on what really matters!
~

23 comments:

Stephanie Ann said...

I'll try your pie crust recipe-- the first time I tried making pie crust, it came out beautifully but I have never again been able to make it! I love your sister's spinning. I'm glad she found a substitute.

AuntLou said...

You may not post often, but when you do it's like a company meal, satisfying in so many ways!

C. M. Turner said...

Your blog is lovely and inspiring! I can't wait to try your pie crust recipe!

Heather said...

What stunning snapshots of your home! The photos of the orchard in the golden light....just beautiful! I hope you all had a wonderful holiday! Cant wait to see what christmas brings to you and your family~

Stacie, A Firefighter's Wife said...

that felt like a lazy stroll through a park. Thank you!

Leslie said...

You are such an artist--these pictures are beautiful. They are obviously taken with such a loving eye. And your writing style is so nice.

Carmen said...

My Family lives in "Sweet Onion" area of Georgia. (They live closer to Savannah and just outside of the area that makes it great to grow those Vidalias.) I use to love to see all the fields of onion. And, going to the 'onion" festivals was a treat. I hope you get a great crop.

The apple pie looks delicious!

And, Ole Yellow is charming.

Blessings.

Laura Lee said...

You live in a fairytale. Can I please come visit you soon? :)

Michelle said...

Oh, Mia! Those pictures, and what they represent, are just lovely! Thanks so much for sharing them. I've just started making pie crusts, and love it!

elizabeyta said...

What a lovely post! I too have started spinning on a drop spindle. I have a spinning wheel and have enjoyed using that for awhile now. I recently learned how to use a drop spindle. How exciting for your sister! I am still planting broccli here.

Blessings,

elizabeyta

Angel Wings and Apron Strings said...

Mia, you paint such beautiful poetry through your words and images! I feel drawn in to your world, more and more, each time I come here.
Thank you for sharing such loveliness with us :-)
It's very pleasant visiting with you and your family.
I so enjoy your gentle blog and all the ways you stroll us through your days.
blessings in Christ..Trish

Diane said...

Mia, your blog is like a breath of fresh air!

May I ask what the name of the music in your play list?

Blessings in Messiah,

Diane

Acacia said...

Thanks, Mia for this lovely post.
You dog is so cute, and his name makes him even cuter!
Wishing you a blessed day,
Acacia

Acacia said...

Mia...I'm sorry I just realized I said: 'you dog is so cute' instead of 'YOUR dog is so cute.' Oh well!

Amy said...

Goodness, I just love coming to your blog to see such lovely photos and inspiring words. Thank you!

Shelley said...

Your blog is my favorite thing to read....I get a big smile every time there is a new post....it's like getting a letter in the mail....I look every day and get excited when I see a new one!

Wendy said...

Lovely pictures - thanks for sharing.

Beth said...

Dear Mia,

A friend told me about your blog a few days ago, and it is now a favorite. Could I make a posting about it and you on Acorn Pies sometime in the coming weeks? Could I borrow some of your pictures to illustrate the posting? love, Beth

Mia said...

Thank you all for your encouraging comments! I'm so delighted you enjoyed the post :)


Laura Lee--Yes, we're going to have to get together one day (soon!)
~
Ms. Diane,
The music is:
*Stars and Butterflies
*Canon in D (munich radio orchestra)
*Top of the world
*Doe Eyes
*When I survey the wondrous cross
*Hymn to hope
~
Ms. Beth,
Oh, I'm so glad! Welcome! :)
Yes you may, thank you so much--how lovely!!
~

In Christ,
Mia

Quaker Cottage said...

You have a simply beautiful and inspiring blog! I plan to read back through your archives after Christmas, but I must try that beautiful pie recipe before!
God bless,
Kim

Kathie Truitt said...

Baking the applie pie in your cast iron skillet? I've never heard of such a thing, but I can't wait to try it - I'll bet it's very crispy.

Ol Yeller sure has a tough life, doesn't he? ;)

Agenda ibu rumah tangga said...

wow..thanks for the apple pie recipe! I'm learning to bake one, but still using a bought puff pastry, hope you don't mind if i copy paste it to my personal recipe book

Kold_Kadavr_flatliner said...

Can I kiss your feet in the Great Beyond? Think about it. God bless.