Sunday, December 12, 2010

A reflective week.


On the bookshelf...
The chilly weather has inspired a marathon of warm sweaters, soups, tea & books. Quiet activities fill our days...the record player is always in use--the vintage melodies brightening our afternoons.
~
A corner of the parlour...
~

I take delight in the simple things.
Morning light shining through the parlour window.
Interior surroundings--cozy chairs, warm blankets, good books.
The texture of the cottage walls.
~

Frost covered Garlic sprouts
*.*

A feather light sprinkling of ice crystals, being warmed by the morning sun.
~

A border of wild grasses leading up the path...

~
"God gave us our memories so that we might have roses in December."
-J. M. Barrie
~

Making my way back down to the Cottage...
~

*.*The frost-covered driveway*.*
~

"Then, no matter how plain, simple or old-fashioned your home may be, the sacred friendships beneath its roof will transfigure it all." J.R. Miller

~

I'm so thankful for the dear, dear friendship I have with my sister. We're constantly making each other laugh!!Our family has gone through alot of transition in the past 2 years, and it truly has drawn us all closer together as a household.

~

Wild Petunias against the porch

~

We've been feeding the chickens raw oats lately (mixed in with household scraps/mash) and it has boosted their egg production! I can't understand why that is, but we're enjoying the benefits :)

~

~Rosemary~

I love this evergreen herb! I use it for so many things:

Fresh in cooking, As a hair oil {for hair growth}, steeped as a hair rinse {gives shine to dark hair}, repelling Mosquito's {from yard area}, Steam treatment {to open up/relieve common symptoms of cold/flu/bronchitis}
~

Feeding Chickens at Tuskegee University
"We must not only become reliable, progressive, skillful and intelligent, but we must keep the idea constantly before our youths that all forms of labor, whether with the hand or head, are honorable."

~Booker T. Washington

With every generation, it seems a few more old-fashioned skills are slowly becoming obsolete. I'm so glad I'm not trying to go with the flow of society anymore! There's so much freedom being able to step back and pursue what you really want to do, no matter how "outdated" it may seem to some.

~

Students taking courses in Home Economics

I've volunteered to teach classes on canning next year for the ladies & girls in our church. I'm not an expert, but I'd just love to share this joy with others, especially younger girls. I feel this is just one (of many) rewarding avenues of home productivity.

~

Our refrigerator recently stopped cooling! So for a few days we were able to make do without it-- I just baked more (breads, muffins, crackers etc) and we ate soups, root vegetables, fresh greens & homemade canned goods. It really wasn't too different from our normal menu, however, it was a good lesson not to rely/take for granted our appliances ;)

(And for my brother to start digging the root cellar!)

~

"Frugality is one of the most beautiful and joyful words in the English language, and yet one that we are culturally cut off from understanding and enjoying. The consumption society has made us feel that happiness lies in having things, and has failed to teach us the happiness of not having things." ~Elise Boulding
~

::A day of re-enacting::

Yesterday I traveled down to the coast for an event. It was a rainy & chilly day, so the ladies stayed inside the farmhouse... It was fun to be able to get to know everyone better, since we weren't in strict first person/character roles.
~

The fresh-churned butter turned out so light and delicious!

I brought homemade bread, so we were able to have a nice snack while the stew cooked over the fire...

~
Knitting and sewing as we talked.
~
What a lovely combination: A rocking chair, dress & apron.
~ Near the hearth, preparation of the evening meal begins
~
Learning the art of basket weaving
~
That evening, all the re-enactors gathered at the farmhouse to partake in the meal.
It was a nice event, and as always, a rewarding experience.
~
Hope you have a great week!

30 comments:

Tracy said...

Mia, your posts are always so inspiring! And the photos are gorgeous. We're getting a lovely snowfall tonight, and I'm enjoying the fire.

If you could please send me your email address, I'd very much appreciate it. I've been looking for a way to contact you privately.

unlessthelord@gmail.com

*~Sarah Lynn~* said...

I always love your posts and pictures, they are like reading a good book. :) Lovely post. Your house looks so inviting and comforting.

Clara said...

Are you feeding your chickens anything else normally (apart from raw oats)? I know egg production is better when protein content is higher - and oats contain a reasonable amount of protein.

Egg production will also improve in cold conditions when the chicken is fed something that makes their stomach warm - "hot" grains like oats and cracked corn are best for this - you don't have to give it to them hot, but when the raw grain is digested, it gets hot. This improves the chicken's body temperature and they are able to produce eggs well. Those kinds of grains are NOT so good to feed chickens in the summer because the chicken doesn't need to be warmed up like that!! :)

Sarah Elizabeth said...

I've only recently discovered your blog and am finding it to be such an inspiration. Your life seems like something from the pages of Little Women or Anne of Green Gables! The re-enacting looks like so much fun. I wish they did something like that here.

Mrs.Rabe said...

Mia,

Your blog is so beautiful. Each post is a gift of beauty and encouragement.

Merriest of Christmases to you and your family!

Marqueta (Mar-keet-a) said...

Dear Mia,

Bless you for blessing us with your sweet blog! We have recently moved (to Missouri) and I haven't been able to catch up on blogs lately, but I'm so glad I came by yours today. You will never know how your example of Godly femininity is blessing the lives of others.

May you and your family have a wonderful week.

Love,

Marqueta

AJ said...

Thank you for being a constant source of simplicity inspiration. Your photos are wonderful. I especially like the "frost" pictures. I use rosemary for many uses as well, like the ones you mentioned. I also clip a sprig of rosemary and hang it by the door...instant air freshener. :)

Shelley said...

I always love visiting you....I leave feeling very peaceful....will you be posting about how you all spend your Christmas season,decorating,etc...?
Blessings,Shelley

Diane Shepard Johnson and Sarah E. Johnson said...

Dear Mia,

Just love seeing your reenacting photographs! I used to work at a museum where I taught open hearth cooking and other old fashioned tasks.

The frosty morn photographs are lovely!

How wonderful that you are sharing your excitement about canning with other ladies!

On our blog Corgyncombe Courant we are currently having a Giveaway of an old fashioned, reproduction yellowware bowl with seaweed decoration that would fit right in your kitchen and your love of cooking! We hope you can stop by our blog and take a look around.

Here is the link:
http://corgyncombecourant.blogspot.com/2010/12/corgyncombe-courant-giveaway.html

We hope you and your family have a blessed Christmas!

Your friends,
The Editresses of The Corgyncombe Courant,
Diane and daughter Sarah

Julian said...

love the beautiful outdoors pictures, and the cozy indoor ones too:) So glad for your friendship with your sister. How great! Blessings,
christina

Quaker Cottage said...

Dear Mia,
I had no idea that rosemary was so useful.
Thank you again, for your beautiful blog.
God bless to you and your family,
Kim

Laurie said...

I enjoy your photos (old and new) and your music selections.
Sincerely,
Laurie

Asiyah said...

I've been weeding out some of the blogs to which I subscribe. However, I could never bring myself to remove yours...it is too refreshing for words, which is hard to find in blogland.

I am really interested in re-enacting. Do you have any sites that would help me search out local opportunities? I live in North Mississippi.

Have a Merry Christmas!

Honey Pumpkin Mama said...

Hi Mia,
I just enjoy your blog so much! The photos are just so lovely. You leave such inspiring messages. Thank you. Maria Weinert

Paige said...

Mia, now that it is cold out, are you missing your garden? I know I am! I've been planting a few kitchen herbs in clay pots by my window, but I just stumbled on this and thought it was a very clever idea:
http://www.goinghometoroost.com/2010/organic/simple-vertical-garden/

It's called a Wally. I love how it brings a lovely natural look to the indoors. You should try to make one!

lady Estelle said...

What relaxing and peaceful day. I would have been right at home. Peace to you and your family,
Lady Estelle

Melissa said...

Oh Mia, this was such a beautiful post. I think I actually feel more peaceful and relaxed for having looked through your pictures and reading your words. Thank you for sharing the loveliness with us!

A practical question for you: Would you be willing to share the color (name and brand if that's possible?)of paint you all have used on your parlor and kitchen walls? I will be painting some new spaces soon, and am hoping to use a warm cream, much like I see in your photos. So pretty and glowy.

Thank you again for blessing us every time. Christmas time blessings to you and yours, Dear Mia!

In Christ,
Melissa Jakobitz

Vicki said...

So lovely, Mia! You have such a natural gift for photography. I love the photo of the kerosene lamp by the window ... it makes me feel so restful.

Thank you for all the hard work you put into your blog!

Love in Christ,
Vicki

Joline Dawn said...

It looks like it would have been so much fun! I would love to go a re-enactment sometime.. :)

Kathie Truitt said...

Mia, You are such an inspiration to me. Yes, there is definitely something 'free-ing' about not trying to 'keep up,' but just enjoying everything we have, and enjoying the beauty and comforts of our homes. Thank you so much for who you are and everything you share with us. Love to you and a very, Merry Christmas.

JennyMay said...

Mia,
I don't know you, but I love you.

lMerry Christmas to you and your family!

I wish I lived in your world.


Kisses Darling Girl,
JennyMay

The BUTT'RY and BOOK'RY said...

Hi Mia,
I enjoyed finding your Blog, your pictures are wonderful, and I enjoy all the lovely pictures of the BEAUTIFUL women of days gone bye. I shall visit here often;-)
Blessings to you and your family! Linnie
(a fellow "worship" guitar player)

Susan B said...

I always enjoy reading your posts, and all your photos. Always so lovely! (My sister is very special to me too.) The re-enactments seem so interesting, and fun to do. Thank you so much for sharing about them.

I also wish you and your family a Merry and Blessed Christmas. :)

R. Reed said...

I adore the photo of the schoolhouse with the home ec. class. I went recently to a bookstore in an antique type of town locally and inquired about home ec books, she looked at me like I was from another planet. The odd thing is that this store has loads and loads of vintage books considered too outdates for the schools and libraries in the state. Still she had no clue about what I referring to. Such a sad statement I think. So to that end I am still on the hunt for vintage home ec books of yesteryear.

Anonymous said...

Hello Mia!

I love your blog and I love being able to take part in your way of life, even if only over the computer.
I want to live life that simply, so bad my heart aches. Simple joy, but a wonderful joy. A special joy. And for me, a joy that will make my life perfect.
One day I am going to leave this complicated rat race of modern life, and find that simple joy that will sooth the ache in my heart.
Keep up the good work.
God Bless

Kassie Burke said...

Love the pictures Miss Mia! :) And the re-enacting sounds fun!

odiie said...

What lovely pictures. Thank you for a glimpse into your interesting life. I'll be back to visit, often.
Rhonda from Glory Farm

morningstar said...

Mia I am inspired by your blog. You are an amazing young lady who knows who she is in this world. Lovely photos and much to think about.

Anonymous said...

Love the pictures...they are very encouraging and lovely. Your blog brings me so much joy ~

Mrs. Teresa A. Haley
Collierville, TN

Lady Kara said...

Mia,

As always visiting your blog is an event. :^) It is a long-time dream of mine to own an old home like that one with the big fireplace and all the trimmings! You seem to live such a charmed life.

God bless,

Lady Kara