Thursday, January 6, 2011

In Celebration of a New Year

"...let the heart of them rejoice that seek the LORD." Psalm 105:3

~
This is the first week of the New Year, and its gone by so fast already ;)
As I think back to last January, it's amazing how much has come to pass since then! Thank you all for your loyal following and warm feedback, it has certainly been a blessing since the beginning. I've so enjoyed being able to chronicle this journey with you-- and I look forward to the future with gladness, indeed!
~

We traveled up to Ohio {right before the holiday weekend} to attend a church fellowship meeting. The time spent there was edifying, the weather was beautiful, and memories.... priceless.
~
Children are truly a blessing, aren't they! :) It was so encouraging to see so many young mothers & large families who are striving to live a life honoring to the Lord.
~
I enjoyed driving through the old neighborhoods. These "turn of the century" homes were weathered with age, yet the blanket of snow softened the scene--adding a hint of nostalgia as we passed by.
~
An expectant Mother & her daughter
~
What an inspiring way to be able to spend Christmas weekend! I really enjoyed meeting new friends, having the opportunity to serve & worship together... and I even played guitar onstage! ;)
~

On our way through Kentucky, we were able to get a quick tour of the Creation Museum. In the above exhibit, two women are shown weaving. Basket weaving is a skill I hope to learn this year, as I'd like a large basket for harvesting vegetables during the Summer.
~

In this exhibit it's showing what an early version of a garden may have been like. Hmm, for some reason I'm inclined to feel that the soil was a bit richer than that... hehe!
~

That soil reminds me of at home...

Yesterday, as my sister and I went bike riding down the lane, she'd collect a bit of wind-blown cotton along the way. The fields are all harvested and barren, but it's still a spectacular sight to me :)

~
{the tree branches kept snagging my hair! lol}
~
I decided to prepare an area for an upcoming small garden, so I started breaking up an old bale of hay, to thickly spread as the first layer of mulch.
~
In the meadow, there's a patch of trees that should give part shade if I create a garden..so I'm thinking of doing leaf lettuces & swiss chard. Our summers get so dry out here, I really think a part shade plot will do well. I'll keep you updated.
*Update: I just started 3 new plots for No-Dig gardens, I'm on a roll (I think its because of these seed catalogues!) ah well.
~
And a recipe...
Homemade Greek Pizza
~
Easy Dough Recipe
(I usually double this & store it in the refrigerator)
3 cups flour, 3 tsp cream of tartar, 1.5 tsp salt, 1.5 tsp baking soda, 1/2 cup oil, 1 cup water.
{Pre-bake in a 450 degree oven before adding toppings!}
~

Toppings: Mozzarella cheese, Onions/garlic/Portabella mushrooms lightly sauteed, kalamata olives, tomatoes, feta cheese, & a handful of organic salad greens (they cook down like spinach when baked)
~
Homemade sauce (always!): Fresh organic tomatoes/paste, garlic, fresh herbs, sea salt.
~
Crust: We enjoy a hardy crust, that holds up for excellent leftovers (never soggy!)
The secret is that it's the same dough used for crackers! ;) love it.
~
Talk to you soon!!

35 comments:

Acacia ♥ said...

Mia,
Happy new year to you, too!
What a wonderful year it has been...
The 'Greek Pizza' recipe looks scrumptious! Maybe sometime I'll make it. :) :) {I love Greek food!}
Blessings~
Acacia

Becca said...

Happy New Year, Mia!

Tracy said...

Your photos are always beautiful, Mia, and I particularly love the one of the mother holding her wee daughter. So precious!

Interesting crust for your pizza. I would have never thought to use a cracker dough.

Mrs.Rabe said...

I was interested in your dough recipe too, when I saw Cream of Tartar in the ingredients! Very interesting!

I love to follow your journey Mia...it's one many of us are on in various forms, and it is an encouragement!

Happy New Year!

Pen Pen said...

Your life is beautiful. I may have to try your crust recipe, as my husband loves thin crust pizza. I love your blog! (I have a friend who went to the Creation Museum recently and I saw some of her pic's... now I want to go!)

Shelley said...

A treat as always...blessing to your family....Shelley

Ann said...

You were in Ohio!! That's awesome, that's where I am from... I wonder, I wonder what part of the state???
It sounds as though you are already having a blessed new year, thank God! Thank you for doing this blog, it's always so lovely and, well, lovely, in a world where there is not much that can be described that way.
I'm glad you got to go to the Creation Museum. I am friends with a family whose two sons work there as artists and tour people. You probably saw them or their work. Small world after all, huh??
God bless you Mia
Ann

D. Leigh said...

Oh how I loved reading this post! It's amazing how reading positive and uplifting words can fill, an otherwise, humdrum day!

Blessing sent your way!

Kate said...

The bottom portion of my garden gets afternoon shade, so I reserve that spot for my cool vegetables and lettuces. Otherwise, I've found that making a covering of muslin over a wire frame is a great way to keep lettuce longer.

Amelia said...

Mia we must learn basket weaving together :) I've always wanted to learn too! I still owe you a visit anyways!

Rosie said...

Hello Mia,
A very Happy New Year to you and your family!It does seem as if time goes by so very fast, doesn't it? It is strange to think I was in Norway this time a year ago..lol.

That-you for another wonderful post, it is always so great to see the happenings at The Cottage.
That pizza looks *so* good, I'll have to make it some time soon (and let you know how it turns out)!

Tell everyone hello from all the folks here!
You friend, Rosie

Amy said...

Happy New Year to you, too, Mia! Glad to see a new post from you :o)

Olivia said...

What a delightful post, Mia! We will be snow-bound for a few more months, but dreaming of gardening is always refreshing. Pizza is one of my favorite things to make, and this one looks delicious! Your posts are soothing and encouraging--thank you.
~Olivia

Maries Cottage said...

That pizza looks amazing!!! We are going to have to try that one, love love love all your pictures!!!! You are a true blessing!!!

Bella Michelle said...

Mia, as usual your recipe sounds wonderful. Happy New to a beautiful heart and soul. May 2011 bring you joy and blessings.

Ginny said...

mia,
Your lovely blog uplifted my spirit.
Thank you,
Ginny

Bonnie said...

Hi Mia!
That pizza looks fantastic!
A question for you: How do you make it so you can't click on your blogs pictures? I've been wanting to do the same, but can't figure out how.
Whenever you get a moment, Thanks!
Bonnie

~ McKenzie Elizabeth~ said...

Hello Mia!

I am going to try that pizza recipe! It looks very good:)

Did you guys get snow last night? We did, but everything is icing over. Doing chores outside with the animals in the ice is rather challenging!

Blessings to you and your sweet family!

McKenzie~

Beth said...

Hi, Mia! I want to give you a blog award on Acorn Pies. Do you mind if I use a photograph from your blog to illustrate what I write about Aspiring Homemaker? love, Beth

Kennesa said...

Hello Mia!
Beautiful post! The pizza looks wonderful. The pictures are beautiful as always.
I would love to learn basket weaving; it would be perfect for Civil War reenacting!
Thank you for another wonderful post!
God Bless
Kennesa

Sword Of The Lord said...

Hello!
I love reading about you and your family. I hope you have a good new year.

kashima

Lisa said...

Hey Mia! I've got access at Don's Mom's! Up here in Loganville since the 8th...We are cleaning house and taking down the Christmas decor in hopes of Sandy coming home soon, then staying to help her while she builds her strength back up again...MISS YOU ALL!! Heard you were at Christopher's Sat...Hugs to the ladies, Greetings to the guys,Lisa

Cookie said...

I'm going to try this Homemade Greek Pizza, Mia! It looks so delish! Thanks for sharing the recipe. Be blessed always!

Jackie said...

I have been reading your blog for about 30 minutes. SO INTERESTING! I am following you!

Amy said...

All I can say is MMMMmmmm. LOL

I hope that your New Year is blessed.

Have a wonderful night.

mommyx12 said...

I loved this post. So full of life and wonder. I too am interested in the Greek pizza dough. Cream of tarter threw me off but definitely something I am going to prepare.

Beth said...

Hi, Mia,

I sent you an award today on Acorn Pies, acornpies.blogspot.com love, Beth

Mrs. J said...

lovely blog :)

Mandisa Chesser said...

Oh how lucky you are to have been able to visit the Creation Museum! I will certainly have to add that to my list of places to go. You have a great blog, by the way. I truly enjoy reading it.

Ransomed~Redeemed said...

I LOVE LOVE LOVE your blog. We are so like minded. I too attend a family integrated church, love long modest dresses, love homemaking. It is so beautiful to see another african american aspiring homemaker. BEAUTIFUL! You have blessed my soul. You have a head start on me. I don't know how to half the things you do ( gardening sewing etc) and it is slow going when you have to learn as you go while raising 5 little ones. You will be an amazing mother, wife and helpmeet! Thank you for visiting my blog. If you ever come on out to California please let me know so we can meet up. I hope to rear daughters as precious as you! ;-) Please pray for me. I am trying to raise money to go on my very first ever mission trip in April with project hopeful with the group "visiting orphans." We will work with HIV orphans and I prayerfully hope to meet the children God has for our family to adopt! Bless you, In Jesus. Alida w5

Ransomed~Redeemed said...

Are you familar with Above Rubies? www.aboverubies.org ?

April said...

thank you dear mia for writing this wonderful blog! i ve been following yours and the blogs of other christian families for more than a year now and finally started my own:-) you ve inspired me a lot and i wish you all the best!
~april

Vicki said...

What lovely pictures, Mia! Thanks for the pictures from the Creation Museum -- I have never been there, but I want to go sometime!

What are the temperatures in your part of the world? I was a little bit shocked to see you and your sister in shirt sleeves in your photos! You're very fortunate! :-P

Very Happy New Year to you as well, and may the Lord continue to bless you and your faith and work. :-)

Love in Christ,
Vicki

Dianna said...

Mia,
I think I just spent an hour reading your blog! I want to thank you; it was wonderful and very refreshing to read in the midst of all the other mindsets I'm bombarded with throughout the day. I really admire that you are an "aspiring homemaker." That is my dream as well, but my circumstances won't allow me to do so when I graduate high school. However, I know God has me where I am for a reason, so I just have to trust Him! Anyway, I just wanted to let you know how much I appreciated reading your blog!
-Dianna

All Things Lovely said...

We would love for you to be a part of the growing community at dwellonlovely.com. Blessings! =)