Friday, May 13, 2011

The Quiet days of May


Although the days here have been pleasant, the strong winds of late are the result of the nearby tempest that has swept through the southern states & has affected many. Thank you for your thoughtful inquiries, we're doing well.

~

When we take a spontaneous country drive, its become a tradition to pick up Boylans vintage pop from our local corner-store :) The flavors of creme, orange, and grape remind me of summertime when I was a young girl. I find it nostalgic!
~ {vintage dress. fresh daisies. warm sunshine}

~*The young green leaves of Daisies can be cooked or eaten fresh (delicious raw flavor) and the flower buds and petals can be eaten raw in salads, soups and sandwiches.

*A well blended mixture of daisy leaves makes a very effective insect repellent!

*When used on bruised or open wounds, daisy works wonders as a cure.

(Only flowers that are organic are edible! Be sure you know it's pesticide-free)

~Our humble driveway that leads around to the Cottage. Situated far from the well traveled road, sits our home--reflecting a life of quiet responsibility.

~As I glance out the back door, my sister begins to hang the freshly washed clothes up on the line to dry.

~In the woods, the thicket of wild plum trees have begun to bear their fruit.

~After gathering a good amount, I washed and spread the plums on a pan in an even layer to freeze whole. Then I put them in freezer bags--I'll use them for strawberry-plum jam later ;)

~"...And the land shall yield her increase, and the trees of the field shall yield their fruit." Leviticus 26:4
~*~*An okra seedling reaches toward the afternoon sun*~*

~"Why would I teach schoolwork indoors during the prettiest part of the day? No one wants to be kept in the house when its so lovely outside..." --Mother


I'm so thankful for my Mothers views on Cottage schooling. We've been able to experience so many freedoms in learning due to the relaxed way she teaches. It's Lifestyle learning... practical arts mixed with nature studies and extended day trips to museums and more. Focused, but centered purely around our own interests and goals. Through the years, we've thrived on that philosophy!

~As I walk lightly through the garden, the morning sun begins to shine on the Cottage, as the dew laden Foxgloves enjoy the shade under the Cedar tree.
~Texture: crunchy oak leaves. wispy grass. soft wild rose petals.
~ After mowing the lawn, my brother spreads the grass clippings over the garden as mulch.

~On Saturday, we decided to travel the back roads through small towns--and we came across a family owned general store selling local fruits and veggies, fresh meats and a large variety of plants. We had a fun time there, and purchased a few items--we'll be back!

~For our next stop, we saw a tiny sign for a family farm up the way, so we decided to stop by. They sold strawberries, peaches, onions, blackberries and other crops that customers could come to pick themselves. Everything is sold seasonally, even their fresh strawberry ice-cream.

~We decided to pick a few lbs of strawberries for fun, then took a tour of the rest of the farm.

~
We ate the berries fresh that evening for dessert :)

~Studying the scriptures by candlelight is such a calming way to close out the end of the day.

~ "Most cottage gardens would have included plants brought in from the wild." --Philippa Drury

Our 'English inspired' garden is filling in well. Most of the perennials and shrubs are transplants from around the property, but it includes seeds we planted this year.

~My brothers fort, being built between the branches of the Oak.

"O God, thou hast taught me from my youth: and hitherto have I declared thy wondrous works." Psalm 71:17

~Because I cook from scratch, often I begin with sauteed onions and garlic. So early this year I planted quite a few rows of both, so its been nice to dig up fresh vidalia onions as we need them.

~I was pleasantly surprised at how mild the flavor was; very different than stored/aged onions. When most of the onions are ready, I'll be braiding & drying them. But for now, it's nice to harvest them as needed!
~"Cottage folk are great lovers of flowers, and their charming little gardens in villages and by the roadside, are some of the most delightful incidents of road-travel in our southern counties..." --The Cottages of Britain: A heritage of Country Life.

~As the sun begins to set across the meadow...



There's peace.

58 comments:

Emily Fay said...

Happy May to you! Your yellow vintage dress is beautiful! Oh I am so envious of your life! We hope to have our own homestead oneday! :)

Rebekah said...

Your posts are always so beautiful. I LOVE the yellow dress as well.

bonita said...

~ * ♥ * ~

Your photographs are so lovely and peaceful ~ I get a real sense of serenity from them. Thank you so much for putting them up.

I didn't know you could eat daisies either ~ that is so neat. I like having flowers in my tea, because it makes me smile and I am pretty sure daisies in my salad would have the same effect! ^ U ^

xox,
bonita of Depict This!
~ * ♥ * ~

Vilisi@islandmusings said...

Beautiful post and beautiful life.

gail said...

Thank you Mia,

This was a lovely wander through you life. i always enjoy stopping by.

Blessings Gail

Kate said...

May is my favorite month here in Upstate New York. I've been enjoying it fully, taking walks in the woods with my children, tending the garden and ducks with my children, and visiting the greenhouse to buy seedlings with my children! Thanks to your blog and the photographs you share, I've been able to look at my world with a different eye...my "Mia cam" so to speak. :) Thank you for sharing that with me.

April said...

That's beautiful, Mia. Thanks. :) May Jesus bless you and yours!

AuntLou said...

Worth waiting for. :) - blessings!

Suzanne said...

Dear Mia,
Isn't it wonderful to be able to stroll throughout one's homestead and see God's blessings:-) Your family is truly blessed! I teach my little ones school much the same way your Mum does, using Charlotte Mason's approach and sitting on our back porch in the nice weather doing our studies is so lovely:-)
Blessings,
Suzanne

Ann said...

This is so Lovely :-)
I believe that a life lived as unto the Lord will bring peace. Thank you for sharing a bit of your life with us.
God bless you
Ann

Shelley said...

Beautiful pictures Mia...blessings on your family and sweet cottage....

Nancy said...

What a beautiful post!

Pamela Gordon said...

I've missed you on here and am happy to see you. Your post today is so beautiful ~ another time and another place. Blessings to you. Pamela

CPass said...

Beautiful! I live further north and our spring has just begun (no gardening yet though) ... your pictures make me antsy for time outdoors and farmer markets.

Marqueta (Mar-keet-a) said...

Dear Mia,

Thank you for another beautiful post~ You have so many things growing there now, how wonderful! What a blessing to put to use all the good things that are growing around you. Thank you for the reminder to stop and eat the daisies! I tried them for the first time last year, and have just noticed that they're almost ready to bloom here in Missouri.

Love,

Marqueta

Carra - a bondservant of Jesus said...

Beautiful Mia. Absolutely beautiful! My sister told me about your blog, and I am thrilled!

The Weekend Homesteader said...

How fortunate you are to have wild plums. I didn't know you can eat daisies!

Rebecca said...

Each entry of yours is such a treat for my daughter and me. A special thanks for the titles "Cottage Schooling" and "Lifestyle Learning"! I've never had the words for how I teach my children.

We've been working in our PA garden. The peas are about 12" up the pea fence. The potatoes are sticking their tops through the straw mulch. We had our very first local strawberries today. We're getting just a tad weary of asparagus. :)

donna rae said...

May Blessings to you, Mia! I loved taking a stroll through your day. The peace and joy from our Lord are shining through in your words and photos.

kpaints said...

Just lovely! Happy May to all of you!

Mrs.Rabe said...

Lovely post, Mia!

Elizabeth said...

Ahhh..the simple things..Life. Love and Lord. You and your family are truly blessed, and an inspiration to us all! Thankyou for sharing a bit of your life.

AJ said...

* Wonderful post! *

Reading your blog is like taking a stroll through a secret garden along shaded paths with like-minded friends. :)

Anonymous said...

Your blog is SSOOOOO beautiful! It might be my new favorite :D Your dresses are beautiful!! Since you sew, I thought you might enjoy http://sensibility.com/ . They have historic and vintage patterns, just gorgeous :)
-Nicole

Quaker Cottage said...

Beautiful post Mia! How wonderful that you have foxgloves, daisies, and wild roses so early. I will have to wait awhile more for mine to bloom.
Blessings to you and your family,
Kim

Kat said...

There is such loveliness here, Mia. I enjoyed every bit if this post. Thank you for sharing it with us!

Lizet said...

I always look forward eagerly to your posts and enjoy them immensely. Concerning your Mother's cottage schooling, would she,or you, do a detailed post on that sometime? I think it would be very insightful and inspirational to me and my children.

Looking forward to your next post!
Lizet

{ T G L } said...

What a wonderful May post... although it breathes more the atmosphere of July! I love the carefree warmth that oozes from your photographs. Enjoy this lovely Spring season to its fullest!

P.S. I'd love to see more recipes posted on your blog :) And what part of Scriptures are you studying now?

Blessings,
This Good Life

April said...

That's beautiful, Mia. I love the candlelight! :)

Stephanie Ann said...

All of your dresses are pretty but that yellow one is gorgeous. I can't wait until I can homestead for myself. It is becoming more important to me that I do not rely on grocery store food.

WisdomSeeker said...

Mia ~ What a beautifully peaceful feast for my eyes and soul! This is my first visit to your blog and I hope to enjoy it again in the future! Thank you for sharing your gifts through your photography and writing. : )

Hawthorne said...

Thank you so much for sharing your peace and love, Mia. God bless you and yours! x

Susan B said...

The area where you live is lovely. How wonderful to have such a big garden. Thank you for sharing the snapshots of your peaceful life. I always enjoy reading your posts. The yellow dress is so pretty too! Enjoy the spring days ahead... :)

Katy~The Country Blossom said...

Beautiful post! :)I enjoyed reading your words and all the lovely pictures, as well! :)

And I must agree...studying scriptures by candlelight is truly enjoyable! :)

Warm wishes for a beautiful week ahead!
Kindly,
Katy :)

Madeline said...

I love your yellow dress! It is so feminine and vintage-y!
~Madeline
www.flameinthedarkness.com

Davis Family said...

LOVE the yellow dress. I love yellow in the summer. So lovely:)
Your posts are always so beautiful and encouraging; you are an AMAZING photographer.
Love,
Alex

Kennesa said...

Hello Mia Dear!
Love this post. Your yellow dress is beautiful. I want to make one! Thanks for the wonderful post.
Love ya!
Kennesa

Mrs. J. and Miss J. said...

That sounds exactly like the way my mother home schooled my brother and I, in a lifestyle of learning. She used everyday situations, our interests, reading books, trips to museums, etc. to teach us. For example, she tried teaching me math on paper but there were some parts of it that I was not able to grasp until she started using my hobbies as a practical way to apply those principles and then I got it.

Miss J.

elizabeyta said...

Thank you so much for sharing. The very last line of this post summed up my feelings: "There's peace."

blessings,

elizabeyta

Barbara said...

Hi Mia,
I was just wondering if you ever received my email? I sent it about a month ago.
I know you are very busy but I would really appreciate a reply if you can find the time. If you did not receive it I can send it again.

Thanks Mia,
Barbara

Colleen said...

Hello Mia!
I am new to your blog and I must say that I am so blessed to have found it! I love the sense of peace I get as I read and look at your photography. I will be back often. May God bless you greatly!
~Colleen in PA~

Cherry Tree Lane said...

Your post makes me yearn for a life outside of the city, where I live. So badly.
Thank you for sharing....

Stephanie said...

I hope everything is going well for you and your family! I found your blog this May and have greatly enjoyed it. I hope you plan to post more soon, if it is something you still enjoy doing :)

Mrs. Trixi said...

I still so love reading about y'alls journey. It's a beautiful life you lead. We are growing onions for the first time this year but went with the spanish red.

Miss. Pen & Paper said...

These pictures are beautiful.

Practical Parsimony said...

Hi, lovely blog. I like to wear long skirts and long sleeves. The sun actually hurts my skin. I tan well, but I think age has changed my skin's perceptions...lol. I am wondering, are the vintage-looking pictures all vintage, or is that part of your magic with the camera? Or, are those ancestors or strangers. That dirt road looks like it would be hard to navigate in wet times, but it does look so inviting. I am in norther AL, and it's so hot even though I don't have lots of pavement to warm the house. Hot, with predeictions of more hot!

Patricia said...

Mia, You are absolutely precious. A light in this world. Stay strong in Christ all your days.

matilde said...

Me gusta, tu blog, y es agradable ver otras culturas un saludo,

Mia said...

Thank you all for your encouraging comments!!
~
Ms. Barbara, I've been having trouble with my email, I'll try to send it again to get in touch with you!
~
Practical Parsimony,
Yes, the pictures on the sidebar are all vintage. The pictures in my posts are occasionally edited, but for the most part, its the camera! haha, yes, its quite hot here as well!!
~
Matilde,
Muchas gracias! Me alegro que les guste mi blog, por favor regrese de nuevo.
~

Thank you all again, I'll be posting soon :)
~Mia

Mia said...

To TGL (This Good Life):
Thank you! Lately I've been frequenting the book of Isaiah-- so much truth in those ancient words!
I will also try to post more recipes, thanks for letting my know what you'd like to see more of in the future :)

In Christ,
Mia

Lissi Jean said...

Hey Mia! Beautiful post! You wouldn't happen to have a pattern for that yellow dress would you? Where did you get it??

Mia said...

To Lissi Jean:
Thank you! No, I don't have a pattern for the dress, It's a vintage item that I bought online I believe.
One day I'll figure out how to put something similar together, haha!

Thanks again!!

~Mia

Owner of Homeschool Faith and Family Life Website said...

Did not know we could eat daisies!
We LOVE eating dandelions! We will try this new treat you have mentioned! Thank you! And, thank you for this lovely glimpse into a peaceful Spring afternoon and evening at your cottage! God bless you and your dear family:)

A. Muschette said...

Oh I absolutey love your blog, it is so refreshing. I am glad I found you! Please visit my blog at www.newwifememoirs.com.

God Bless you,
Nisha

Amy @ Raising Arrows said...

I am out and about searching for blogs suitable for my young daughter to visit. Your site is lovely and I am sorry I have not visited before. I wanted to say how much I wished our wild plums had survived the late freeze. Plum jam is one of our favorites! Your pictures made me smile with the memory!
Many blessings to you,
Amy

promosyon said...

Capturing morning sunshine photographs are awesome. It is really fun to take beautiful photograph of every seconds. I like your collection.

AwaydownSouth said...

The yellow dress is pretty! I have trouble finding shoes I like to wear with my dresses. Most of your pictures do not show the shoes. Maybe in a future post you will show us some of your shoe styles that you wear with your dresses?

Lora Goulet said...

Dear Mia and family,
We pray that all is well for all of you at this time of hurricane Sandy. It has been so inspiring to follow your posts about the cottage and simple life. Your family's devotion to our Lord is so precious! Jesus always blesses His followers with love and beauty, even during trials. We will continue to pray for your family.
In Christ's Love,
Lora