Saturday, July 23, 2011

The Beauty of the Summer months

{A homemaker preserving fruit, 1943}


I always look forward to the summer months.
The plants that were so fiercely protected during the biting winds of March are now flourishing with harvest! One of my favorite fruits of the season are Peaches...


{The view from across the lane} So we took a Sunday drive to our states' oldest, family-owned peach farm. Tucked away in the country, It was a wonderful experience-- I enjoyed talking with the locals and meeting folks who traveled many miles for these sun-ripened peaches :)
~


After we picked about 2 bushels of peaches, I went over to sample their peach jams and spreads. It gave me some ideas for my own preserves! The warehouse was decorated in vintage style--an old oven, antique hutch, and plenty of photography from days gone by.
~ Of course I had to check out their cookbooks, heh.
I was very inspired though, Georgia has some amazing food history...really!
~ Locally grown veggies..ah, warms my heart!
"Food waste is the enemy, food thrift the battle cry, and food conservation the weapon...and involves every household.." ~Charles Pack
~A few months ago, my dad and brother built another dwelling for the chickens...They used boards and scrap pieces cut from our own pine trees.
~ 'Tis nestled under the canopy of the surrounding trees, and so far there hasn't been any problems with intruders. I really enjoy the chickens, they all have their own funny personalities.
~ I recently attended a local book sale, and I definitely came away with some treasures, my favorite being, "Teen guide to Homemaking". It's a collectible, in great condition and I only payed $1.oo for it :)
~Although published 50 years ago, much of the instruction is certainly timeless. I was definitely encouraged to improve my sewing skills!
~

"But do life's plain, common work as it comes, certain that daily duties and daily bread are the sweetest things in life." ~R.L. Stevenson
~Lots of veggies from the garden! Tomatoes, cucumbers, onions, garlic, peppers, squash...
I've been freezing the tomatoes this year instead of canning them, it's been great.

~Cottage Living. It's the little things that make a house a home.


~We've harvested quite a bit of onions and garlic from the garden, and I've enjoyed growing them because they're such low-maintenance! Ah, garlic and onions are a staple for our home cooking, and I really feel that they keep common colds at bay! Hopefully I'll be planting more this fall.
~While I was at a dear friends house, I was able to show a young girl how to bake cookies, and we had so much fun in the kitchen! I hope to do a cooking class for the young ladies in our church soon.
~
The Beauty of Home Remedies: Many of my long-time readers may remember that my sister has asthma...well recently, she began to have symptoms of an asthma attack, so we turned to Mullein. We have several growing in our yard, so we quickly tore off a few leaves, dried them, and used it in a tea, along with sage leaves as well. It definitely was beneficial, and paved the way for her recovery! So I'd reccomend it, as it has excellent healing properties.
~{Mother working in her cottage garden}
I appreciate the values that my parents nurtured and instilled over the years in my siblings and I. My mom's ministry of motherhood has had a huge impact on how I do things. It hasn't taken books, curriculums, seminars, conventions etc. to convince me of why cultivating a love of the home is so valuable. Rather, living a lifestyle of learning, filled with patience, love & tons of laughter has penetrated deep within, and has strengthened my convictions-- truly it has.


"Summer afternoon--summer afternoon; to me those have always been the two most beautiful words in the English language." ~Henry James
~
~*A beautiful day for a wedding*~


I recently traveled up to Ohio to attend a wedding, and it truly was a lovely event!
~The bride and groom as they cut the cake at the reception...
~As we gathered together on the cobblestone street outside, a mother helps her daughter with her balloon while we wait for the newlyweds to arrive.
~
At the appointed time, we released the balloons! It was a beautiful sight as they floated up into the sky.
~
One of the bridesmaids, waits with a friend as we begin to take pictures. Ah, green is my favorite color!!


~


A few ladies as they were getting their cameras' ready...
~
{The back of the bridemaids dress}
As we walked downtown, the air was warm and breezy, and the sun was beginning to set--casting a lovely glow as we headed toward the fountain to take our last few photo's. It was a beautiful moment, indeed.


~ "And as the bridegroom rejoiceth over the bride, so shall thy God rejoice over thee." Isaiah 62:5

45 comments:

Csirli said...

:) Thanks!

Carra - a bondservant of Jesus said...

That was truly a beautiful post. :) I like that.
Thanks for sharing, and may the Lord Jesus bless you and your family.
A servant of Jesus,
Carra

Suzanne said...

Mia,
I loved your words regarding your Mum's ministry of motherhood. They are a beautiful testimony to her ministry. My wish is more young ladies would feel the same as you, instead of wanting to rush into the world to experience all that is there. Home is truly the best place in the world!
Blessings,
Suzanne

Julia said...

Oooh, the bridesmaid's dress was so cute! :)

Looks like your garden did well for you all... ours has been wonderful this year too! :)

Hugs,
Julia

Mrs.Rabe said...

Beautiful post,Mia.

I am going to see if I can find that book "Teen Guide To Homemaking" on Amazon. What a special book to have for my daughters.

I have half a bushel of peaches waiting canning and to be made into jam!

Deanna

Kristen said...

May I just say.....I absolutely LOVE your blog!!!! It is so different from any other....beautiful pictures, lovely music, and wonderful posts! I especially like this post...it's so beautiful. I just wanted to thank you for telling us about your life. It's so lovely. =)You inspire me.

Because He Lives,
Kristen

Hannah said...

Yay! We were so excited to find a post from you! (= Loved how you spoke of your mothers ministry with such respect! (=

Christena said...

Hi, Mia. I recently found your blog and have been checking it regularly for updates. I am a 31 year old wife and wish I had the values you possess when I was your age. I love your photos, your writing, and your peaceful life. You are an inspiration for me to live a simple, Godly life & enjoy the many blessings of my daily life.

Marqueta (Mar-keet-a) said...

Dear Mia,

It looks like you've had a very productive summer so far! Your friend's wedding pictures are so beautiful, as well as the pictures around the homestead. :)

Your chickens are very beautiful; what a great way to use scrap wood!

Love,

Marqueta

Amy @ Our Own Village said...

Great post! Missing your more frequent posts of the past, but I fully understand how busy lives can get.

Pamela Gordon said...

I is lovely to see your post today of your gardening and canning adventures. Your mum is a wonderful teacher to her children and you are blessed to have her. Your photos are beautiful and your words are as warm as ever - like a soft breeze on a hot day. Blessings to you. Pamela

Nancy said...

Thankyou for such peaceful and beautiful posts. They are very inspiring.

Erika said...

Wow, the Bridesmaid's dress is absolutely gorgeous. I think the color is delightful and they look so professionally made!
That's wonderful about your sister and the use of mullein! :) I have a deep love for herbs and it's fascinating to hear about plants that I haven't been familiar with.

Michelle-ozark crafter said...

What a wonderful lovely post. God bless and huggles.

kitty25 said...

Such a lovely post... I just wanted to let you know that your blog is the "calm" to my day. I get so inspired...and feel as if all is well with the world...while things are literally bustling around me ( you see, I have 5 children, and things can be quite crazed at times...)You are such a blessing...thank you, Friend. God bless.

Mrs. J. and Miss J. said...

Thank you for your post and your blog. It is encouraging to see a young lady with such strong convictions and values. Not many of the young ladies I meet today desire or seek such. What is so sad are the young ladies I know who want to pursue such values and their parents desire them to find a “career” and a “real” job, or the father desires such and insist upon it.

At times going against the tide in our own household has not easy. With the Word of God, His Spirit, an older mentor and things like your blog helps even this 56-year-old woman. Being raised in a feminist home, married to a man who does not embrace the biblical traditions has been hard to raise a daughter to seek homemaking. At the insistences of her father, she is taking classes online but they take up so much of her time, she is not able to pursue the academia of the home.

He worries that with her scoliosis she will not find a spouse and the only way he can calm such worries is to advice her as the world would. In addition, I am like the “boy in the bubble” and must be isolated at home, so it keeps her with me to help, as I am not able to keep up the home on my own. Please pray for his heart to be softened by the Lord and that a desire for God’s Word would grow in his heart.

In order to help other young ladies my daughter designed a blog and we post on it (mostly myself as she is busy with studies). We too want to be able to add our voice to encourage others to stay the course of being keepers-at-home.
Mrs. J.

{ T G L } said...

These are beautiful, Mia. Thanks for sharing. The vegetables look deliciously plump and the bride and groom look stunning.

I look forward to more frequent posts on your part :)

Blessings,
This Good Life

The Weekend Homesteader said...

I always love reading your posts. I live in GA as well, and this was my year for peaches. I harvested almost 128 pounds from my one tree. Truly a blessing!

arwen said...

Wow what beautiful dresses!! (:

Robyn :) said...

Your posts are always so beautiful and make me feel so peaceful.

The wedding dresses were beautiful.

Mikailah said...

Lovely pictures! :)

Anonymous said...

Mia, I am so excited that you posted again. I love your writing style and pictures! Welcome Back:-)

Joyce Anne said...

Okay, funny question but I always see pictures of freshly baked bread, and cookies in your many posts. My question is how do you bake and cook sustainably during the hot summer months. What's your secret? Thanks!

Patti said...

Your pictures and posts are always so lovely...I was wondering if you could share the name/location of the peach farm you went to? I would love to visit there. Thanks! Patti

S. Belle said...

Thank you for your kind post on my blog. I also get excited when I learn of a fellow African American homemaker who embraces biblical womanhood. It's so refreshing.

I live in Georgia, too. I love your blog. The pictures of the women on the side are so beautiful and inspiring. I'm proud of you for embracing your calling as a woman at such a young age. So inspiring!

Regan Family Farm said...

I needed a smile today, and look what God sent!!! Thanks Mia, for your sweet post, and give your momma a hug for me~
Mrs. Regan

Miss Sandra said...

Dear Mia,
You are truly an amazing young lady. You set a very good example of what is needed in our youth today. I always enjoy your posts. They bring an extra dose of simple, old fashioned charm into my life.
God Bless!
Blissful tidings,
Sandra

M. E. Stephens said...

Beautiful post, Mia. I am an amateur photographer too, and really enjoy your style.

I think you could publish some of your photos and comments in a book that would be of real interest to home making ladies and girls. If you ever think about trying that you may consider http://www.lulu.com/ where you can self-publish books without the hassle and expense of usual publishing methods. I have not used them yet, but it is a hope and dream for me. If you do put a book on there please let me know as I would like to recommend it from my blog and web site.

Thanks for sharing your beautiful pictures in this blog.

Because Jesus loves you,
Mary Stephens
http://thecottonapron.blogspot.com/
http://www.homemakerscorner.com/home.htm

elizabeyta said...

Thank you for sharing your life. I have missed your posts.

Blessings,

elizabeyta

Lady Kara said...

Hello Mia,

As usual, everyone has summed up everything I wanted to say. You are truly gifted. And what a heartachingly beautiful homage to your mother. Thank you so much for sharing your talents.

God bless,

Lady Kara

Laurie said...

Wow what a blessing to find you still here....I used to follow your blog like a VERY long time ago(we are talking like 3 yrs.ago),unfortunately I got off blogging,but I'm back,and so blessed by the fact that your still here being faithful!Wow God is good!

Far Above Rubies said...

Lovely as always. Thank you.

Nicole @Project Inspired said...

Just discovered your blog! Such a breath of fresh air, literally. Loved hearing about your peach picking and seeing the food you are growing. So impressive!

Susan B said...

Such a beautiful post! Thank you for sharing.

gail said...

Thank you Mia for another lovely post. We are in the middle of winter here in Australia. Not lovely summer veggies for us at the moment, just hearty winter soups and stews. Lovely cosy fire to read by at night.

Blessings Gail

Amy said...

Oh how I've missed your posts!! This one is lovely.

I love the bridesmaid's dresses. That shade of green is perfect.

Been so dry and hot here in South Texas. Lost most of my garden. But my herbs are hanging on.

I will have to find this book for my daughter. I am trying to teacher her all these things. My Mom didn't care to share all this info. I love the time I can spend with my daughter to share it with.

God bless and have a wonderful day.

Anonymous said...

Miss Mia: Delighted to see that book again. I studied from it in Home Ec classes in high school and was blessed to be given a copy when I graduated. Unfortunately it got away from me in the 80s....and seeing the cover just brought a happy smile to my face! Thank you so much for your lovely blog. Please continue to give us inspiration as you go about your daily life.

Kathleen in IL

Jacqueline said...

Mia, I am back again. t\The comment about your Mother's influence is penetrating. I am thankful to be a wife and Mother, and desire to leave a similar legacy to my children. I praise God he extends grace for us to grow in this. Blessings!

Kennesa said...

Hello Dear Mia!
I missed you!
Thanks for another wonderful post! Beautiful pictures as always!
With much love,
Kennesa

Elizabeth said...

You are so inspirational...it IS possible to remain ladylike, simple and pure, in a world full of so much ugliness. You manage to find the beauty. You are a precious gift to the online community..... thankyou.

Rose @---} said...

I enjoyed this post more than many I have...maybe because my living situation has changed and I can do more with my family. But I think the quotes and scriptures and your honest and open comment about how your mother taught you about the significance of the home. This means a lot to me as I have little ones and patience is definitely lacking in me at times. I need to pray more and be more mindful of the impact I'm having just day-to-day.

Karen said...

Such beautiful pictures - thank you for sharing them!

Renee said...

Hello Mia, so glad to see you again, It has been awhile since last we talked.
I finally found our new church home, and we love it.
I am now dresses only :) and DH,and Son Loves it..
Glad you dropped by, Jacob is fixing to hit 15 WOW! I know hard to believe how the little ones grow up so fast,and time passes.
He has been baptised Praise the Lord,

Anonymous said...

http://herbalhealing.tumblr.com/

Laura @ Laura Williams Musings said...

Inviting you the Carnival of Home Preserving on my blog today and every Friday. Hope to see you there. Laura Williams’ Musings http://laurawilliamsmusings.blogspot.com