Saturday, November 24, 2012

A glimpse into everyday life.

 
The months have passed by rapidly, my dear friends!
As I've observed the neighboring fields grow white with cotton ready to harvest, and wild grass growing higher by the day, I realize that I've gone an entire season without journaling!
~
I do appreciate your patience--please know that I've missed sharing my thoughts with you ;)
~
The pear trees did well this year! It's always a delight to go into the orchard to harvest a few.
~ 
 We had an abundance of late cucumbers, so I made about a dozen pints of sweet pickles. I'm so excited about them--So if you happen to stop by the cottage, I'll be sure to give you a jar of course :)
~
The cottage has been under-construction!
For the past few weeks, we've been taking down our old walls in order to create an open space. What a joy it has been to see it slowly change..Now we'll have more room for guests!
~
Lately, I've had wonderful opportunities to help out at several state parks.
~
I enjoy spending time in the old cabins--demonstrating open hearth cooking, bringing to life the abandoned garden, or just sharing about rural 19th century living---ah, I love it!
 ~
 
The hedge of blueberry bushes.
The leaves are vibrant with a bright showing of crimson, browns, and golds..
They seem to exclaim, "Tis Autumn, tis Autumn!"
And I couldn't agree more.
~
Inside the garden gate..
~
The leafy greens are still young, but make a fantastic side dish--especially when it's sauteed with homegrown garlic. It's nice to pick collards right before supper--lovely flavor!
~
 I recently traveled up to the mountains to go Apple picking!
What a delight to learn about the different fruit varieties.. 
~
Walking down the well-traveled paths,
you could almost get lost in the seemingly endless rows of fruit trees. 
 ~
 My dear friend brought her darling baby to the grove..
It was so sweet to watch the little one reach for the apples with such wonder!
~
Before we left the orchard, I met the owner of this year 1930 automobile.
We had traveled behind it for a good distance, so it was fascinating to learn more about it!
~
 The sounds of crunching leaves under my worn boots.
The warmth of the afternoon sun.
The occasional pecan being thrown at me by a squirrel. :)
I love the autumn season.
~
In the living room, my brother finishes up school lessons
~
 Down at the neighboring farm..
I'm greeted at the gate by a curious friend.
 ~ 
"A true home should be the container for reviving real hospitality...."
--John Seymour, author of The Self Sufficient Life and how to live it
*~*
Thanksgiving Day
~
 I gathered the last remaining rose blossoms to make homemade rosewater--
a needed ingredient for old-fashioned Turkish delight candies!
~
 The heirloom dishes are carefully taken out,
 and hand washed before setting the picnic table for the afternoon meal.
~
As we work in the kitchen, the record player cheerfully fills the room w/ big band music,
While the air is fragranced with cinnamon and mulled spices.
~
My brother begins to make his 'famous' Apple pie..
It's become a tradition to bake it in our cast-iron skillet!
~
Thanksgiving Supper Menu:
~
Wild greens Salad w/ pecans, cranberries and raspberry vinaigrette
Greenbean Casserole w/ portobello mushrooms
Mashed Potatoes with Turkey gravy
Fresh creamed corn
Traditional baked macaroni and cheese
Slow cooked Lemon Pepper Turkey (stuffed with fresh lemons)
Homemade spiced Cranberry sauce w/ pears and apples
Apple-glazed baked ham
Banana Bread
3 layer Spiced Cake w/ Pumpkin Buttercream frosting
Southern Apple Pie
'Three Kings' homemade bread
Sweet Tea
~
Perfect weather for a Picnic.
We set up our table underneath the shade of the old pecan tree,
*~*
And enjoyed pleasant conversation...
Soon enough, the apple pie was brought to the table.
~
 My dear sister prepared a fantastic cake!!
 Holiday Spice Cake with Pumpkin Buttercream Frosting
 
3 cups flour, 2 cups sugar, 1 cup Buttermilk, 4 eggs, 2 sticks of softened butter, 2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp each : Baking soda, Nutmeg, Cinnamon, Ginger
1/2 tsp each: ground cloves and sea salt.
~
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Grease and flour 3 (8 inch round) cake pans
In a small bowl, combine dry ingredients. Cream butter, sugar and salt...then add in eggs.
Beat in dry ingredients with buttermilk, alternating one at a time, ending with dry.
When batter is smooth, divide it among the 3 pans and bake about 25 mins (or until golden).
Let cool completely before removing from pans...then frost with your favorite icing! Enjoy :)
~
"...Preserve everything in a pure, still heart, and let there be for every pulse a thanksgiving,
and for every breath a song." --K.V. Gesner
~
After our meal, my sister and I sang the hymn: 'For the Beauty of the Earth.'
What a delight it was to lift our voices in humble gratitude of life's many blessings.
 ~
At the end of the day, I put together a simple meat stock (Nothing goes to waste, right?) Nicely seasoned with herbs, fresh garlic, onions and celery. This will make quite a few quarts of flavorful broth, perfect for winter stews!
~
Hope you all have a blessed weekend!

 

61 comments:

Sarah said...

Beautiful post! All of your photos are delightful. The cake recipe you shared sounds delicious.

-Sarah

Nela said...

Oh boy.... *mouth begins to water a bit* all that food looks incredibly delicious! :9

What a lovely post, Mia and thank-you for sharing the recipes with us! :)

Take care, and hope you have a blessed Sunday tomorrow!

Mia said...

Thanks so much, Sarah and Nela!!

Daughter of God by grace. said...

Hello my older Sister in Christ! I love your blog, and have been through the archives all summer with my mother and sister. Your blog made me start blogging! I am blogging at FoundAChristianByHisGrace.blogspot.com. Your blog is so homey, and lovely, and beautiful. We are so glad to see you again. Blessings!!!! Thank you for ministering to our hearts with your beautiful blog.

rebecca said...

Mia,

Such a delight to see you blog once again. I know you are busy in all you do, just wanted to say that I truly missed seeing you and all you share.

May the Lord continue to Bless you and your family,

Mrs. Shepard

Cathy said...

What a lovely post as always and beautiful photos.

Lauren Hope said...

Dear Mia,

It was such a delight to see your post pop up in my blog feed! Mom had just said to me (earlier this afternoon), "We haven't seen a blog post from Mia in a while." I could hardly believe it when I came in to read a few blogs this evening... We'd be more than happy if you posted every week. ;) Thank you for yet another inspiring, encouraging peek into your life (and also for that delicious-looking recipe).

Love,
Lauren

An At Home Daughter said...

That apple pie your brother made looks so yummy!
I'm going to have to try that spice cake recipe.
Your posts are always so lovely and well worth the wait.
Kimberly

Kim @ Light Cottage said...

Thank you for another lovely post Mia. Your brother's pie looks delicious! And I agree that sauteed homegrown greens and garlic are fantastic.
Blessings to you and your family,
Kim

Anonymous said...

So glad to see you posting again! It looks like you had a wonderful Thanksgiving. Those heirloom dishes are just beautiful. Hope you'll find some time to post about cottage happenings this winter.

Blessings,

Victoria

Tammy said...

So happy to hear from you again. Your blog is always so lovely, and I adore the glimpses of your life you share with us.

I'm looking forward to your wintertime posts, or whenever you can post again.

Civil Folks said...

We sure miss visiting with you all! Wish you could help us this weekend at Richland for Keeping Christmas, too.

Great post as usual.

Vilisi said...

It's a treat to read another one of your beautiful posts. :)

xo.sorcha.ox said...

I just adore your pictures and reading your blogposts. Thanks for sharing! It's great to have you back.
~S.

Salina Kenyon said...

I am so happy to have come across your lovely blog today! You cerainly live a charmed life. I will most definitely be back.;) ~Salina

Amy Jo said...

Mia,

I am glad you and your family are o.k. It is amazing how you feel like you know a person through their blog. My Mom and I were discussing if something may have happenened in your family...like we could just walk over and check on you....LOL Your post was as beautiful as always. Very refreshing.

Blessings to you,
Amy Jo

Lisa said...

Your sweet spirit is a savored blessing. Will have to try that cake-maybe next Sunday for our family after church dinner.

May the Lord continue to bless you as he most surely has.

Southern Ladye said...

Oh I have missed your post! I was so delighted when I saw your name pop up in my blog reading list. I savored every word, picture, and of course, recipe! So glad you had a lovely Thanksgiving.

The Working Home Keeper said...

What a lovely post Mia! Thank you for sharing!

Mary Ellen
The Working Home Keeper

Tracy said...

Mia, I really look forward to your posts and was so glad to see a new one from you today! May God bless you & your family. :)

Bevy said...

So good to hear from you again.

It's all so lovely... Always lovely.

I'm loving that apple pie in the skillet.

And that menu. Lord, have mercy! That all sounds so divine.

Yum!

Until we hear from you again. Blessings on your day. On your week.

Hawthorne said...

Yaaay, you're back! I was getting a little concerned for you. Your blog, as usual, radiates such peace and love - I always feel so much better for reading it. Thank you! Abundant blessings to you and yours x x x

© Annie W.-T. said...

Your blog always inspire me! I was wondering what happen to you. Glad to read your post.

Happy thanksgiving to you & your family.

Annie (NJ)

Mr. G's Mrs. G said...

Mia,
Your posts and pictures are always so beautiful. Thank you for sharing your life!

God's Blessings,
Regina

Terri said...

As always you evoke such serenity and beauty in your posts. May the season be filled with blessings for you and your family.

Stephanie said...

So glad to 'see' you again, Mia! I always look forward to your posts. This one is, as usual, beautiful! Thanks for sharing your life for us to read.

~Stephanie

http://hopefulforhomemaking.blogspot.com

Ginny said...

Welcome back;. Oh how we have missed you. Your post sings with delightful treasures. The dishes are quite lovely. We are having winter in the north so enjoy your fall time.

Magnolia Tea said...

Hello there! I so enjoyed this wonderful post. Your rosewater reminded me of something that happened several years ago. A homeschool friend who's child kept a beehive called me to say the honey they had just harvested from the hive had an odd flavor and they wanted me to try it and help determine what it was. I gave it a taste test and having made rose petals jam I knew immediately what caused the different flavor. It was roses! Their neighbor across the street had loads of roses so the bees naturally gathered pollen and nectar from them. Truly, that honey was really special. Have you tried making jam with your rose petals? It's delicious!

BLD in MT said...

Oh, thank you for sharing your lovely Thanksgiving holiday with us! As always I am enthralled with your photos! Have a great day!

Gille said...

Thank you so much for sharing the pictures of your holiday with us. I really enjoyed the post and most of all, I'm so glad to see another one from you!

Anonymous said...

I have missed you, glad to see your post and enjoy it as usual.

Leslie said...

Yay! A new post! This made my day! Your blog is so beautiful and gentle and full of love. It's completely unique and I really treasure it.

Stephanie said...

I am so glad you are ok! I had been getting worried! :)

I am excited as I have been reading your blog in the cold life of Interior Alaska. It is one of the things the Lord sent me as a balm in cold, dark days.

However, in just a couple of weeks, we will be moving to Alabama! We had a blessed life in the snow, and now I pray we have a blessed life in the sun! Your photos have given me great ideas about hospitality, simplicity, and preservation. I cannot want to have my own "blueberry hedges and pear trees" pics!

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful Thanksgiving you had. The menu looked absolutely
scrumptous!
Love your skirt/sweater outfit standing by the car. Iam a big fan of plaid, care to share where you purchased it?
Love your blog, please don't wait so long to post again.
Blessings
Irene

happy momma said...

So glad to see a post from you again and to know all is well. Your photos are beautiful as usual. I know all too well how times gets away from you during the busy months. God Bless.

Linda said...

Lovely to see a post from you Mia, and to know that you are all doing well. It looked like your Thanksgiving was a blessed day :)
God Bless.

Donna B. said...

Dear Mia, how surprised when I checked to see if you had posted and sure enough a lovely gift awaited. So wonderful for another glimpse into your life. Blessings!

Alisha Ann said...

Great to have you back Miss Mia :D I've missed your wonderful posts and beautiful pictures :D

Serving HIM,
Alisha

www.alishainprogress.blogspot.com

Andrea@Familyconnect said...

I enjoy your beautiful posts so much. Your special meal sounded like the most amazing feast!

Linda, NE Iowa said...

My mouth literally dropped open when I saw a new post! It's so great to know you and your family are well. Thanks so much for all the time you put in your postings - the pictures are beautiful. Here's a wish for a blessed Christmas for you and your family.

Emily said...

Hi Mia! I just love your blog, so I awarded you at my blog : http://janeaustenmad.blogspot.co.nz/

Emily

CeilingofStars said...

I love your blog, Mia! Such beautiful pictures and a sweet, fulfilling life. I want to be you when I grow up.^^

Cheesemakin' Mamma said...

It is wonderful to see you post again. I can't imagine it being warm enough to picnic for Thanksgiving meal. Your meal looked delicious and your dishes are beautiful!

Julie Weaver said...

I am so glad you are back to blogging.

Heather said...

I am so glad you are okay!!! I have missed your posts so much as they have been a huge blessing in my life. I love your photos and the dishes are so pretty!!! Can't wait to make the recipe, too!!!
Heather

Anonymous said...

I was delighted to see your back and doing well! Your post on the autumn was so beautiful. You have been missed by many, as you see by all the comments. The pictures and Thanksgiving menu are inspiring and amazing. Looking forward to reading another blog on what you will be doing for the holidays! Take care, Elaine

Mrs. Mari said...

So good to see a post from you. I love your photos and your writing makes me feel as if I am right there enjoying life right along side you.

Please don't stay away so long :)

Katherine Douglas said...

How inspiring! We all need a taste of the "simpler life", and I love your vintage photos and that you made us feel part of a bygone era! Beautiful! Thank you!

Katherine

elizabeyta said...

I am so glad to see you back. I loved your posts.

I am envying the blue prints I see on sleeves in these pictures. I keep thinking dresses for me.

I hope you have a lovely yule season.

blessings,

elizabeyta

Parfum pas cher said...

So beautiful post, Amazing pics,

Susan B said...

It is so good to see another post from you. It looks like you had a peaceful Thanksgiving. Your sister's cake looks amazing! Would you please share your recipe for the Homemade Cranberry Sauce? I enjoyed all of your lovely photos. I love the song 'For the Beauty of the Earth'...it's so beautiful. Thank you so much for sharing, your posts always touch my heart. :)

janice15 said...

O my Mya, It's so wonderful to see you post.. I look often awaiting for you...I just love all the pretty photos...I indeed love the heirloom dishes they look so delicate and pretty. As I looked upon the Spice Cake I was ready to ask you can you post the recipe and as I scrolled on down there it was to my delight..Thank you so much for sharing it and posting a wonderful post as always..Sure missed you...Glad you and the family are well..I look forward to the changes of the home and your next post with love Janice @ spoonwither.blogspot.com

Angelia said...

I do not think I have commented here before.....just wanted to take a moment to let you know what a blessing your blog is to this "older" mother of 3 boys:) I was beyond delighted when I thought to check your blog today and saw not only one but two wonderful posts! Thank you for giving of your time in this way. A quick visit here is sometimes a much needed refreshment for me and for that I am very grateful.

Sarah said...

Wow, what a beautiful blog. Great content and pics and a perfect reminder of what's important in life. Thank you <3

Tiff :o) said...

Your blue dress at the top of the post is beautiful! I wish I could see more of it. Can you please send more pictures of it to me at asltiffm@gmail.com

Anonymous said...

Your photos are so beautiful! You could publish an amazing book, I think. Thank you for sharing the cake recipe, and please let your brother know that his apple pie looks scrumptious! Best wishes, Thérèse

Laura Lane said...

I so enjoy your photos! You're building a beautiful life. May God bring you his perfect husband for you!

Simply Keeping Home said...

You are living my dream! Living simply, slower paced and old fashioned. Someday I hope that I will have that opportunity.
God bless you and thank you for sharing your lovely home life with us!

Jan Humphrey said...

I love your photos! Everything is so lovely. I love to garden, and enjoy your gardening pics. You seem to lead a charming life!

Jodi said...

Dear Mia...you are so precious...I love all you say and do and your photos relay the beauty of your life. Please continue your amazing blog as it is a true blessing to savor in the hectic tech lives we now live.

Jodi Lowery said...

P.S. I also meant to include how all those wonderful photos to the right of your story show beautiful lives lived long ago. I'd love to know each of their story/stories.